Sydney 2 piece to one piece wetsuit equivelent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marty14

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi; I spend many years diving in Sydney in a 2 piece 5mm wetsuit. I found them great and versatile. But I have noticed a change in dive industry and that has been a move to one piece wetsuits.
So my question is this, I am moving back to Sydney after a few years away and I want to buy a new suitable wetsuit.
So what should I get, a 5mm or a 7mm. I have noticed that most of them are semi dry now with lots of little high tech features like titanium lining etc.. So what is the equivalent to a 5mm 2piece of old (80's - 90's). Considering a 5 mm 2 piece has 10 mm across the chest etc. but where not as good in keeping water moving in and out.
Would I be ok diving in 5mm most of the year or do I move to a 7mm for Sydney ??????
Any input would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Marty :confused:

5/7mm suit is what I wore in sydney and if it was really cold I would wear a sharkskin and a hood.
Thank you.
Was that a one piece ???
Marty :cool2:

Thank you, that really helps.
Funny how you are mentioning the Scubapro suit
I am looking at the Scubapro OneFlex 7mm SCUBAPRO - ONEFLEX
but I would have gotten the 5mm version if it would have been to warm.
But I guess my instinct was right.
Really appreciate the confirmation.
How do you find the Scubapro suits for durability ?
Marty :)
yeah, ScubaPro everflex 5/7. winter was usually the 5/7 + the sharkskin with 2mm gloves.

I would say there are better on the market now than the everflex but it's served me well.

SCUBAPRO - EVERFLEX 7/5 & 5/4 mm
Chillproof Long Sleeve with Hood | Sharkskin

Almost impossible to buy a quality two piece wetsuit in Australia now.

For Sydney, everyone I know uses a 5/7 mm (that is, 5 mm on lower arms and legs and 7 mm on upper arms, legs and body).

As stated, you can wear something under it in winter. I used to use a long sleeve T-shirt (before I went drysuit). For best wetsuits in Australia, Seatec is the go. See their web site at DrySuits - DrySuits | WetSuit.

I've had mine replaced but I was DM'ing... so minimum 4 dives a weekend for most weekends in summer and 50% in winter. I treated it pretty badly and it ripped along a seam just at the end of the ankle zip after 14 months.

ScubaPro replaced it free of charge though.

have heard only very good things about Seatec, mostly from commercial divers, so they must be pretty good.

That is a shame.
I always used to use Neptune, the Trident suit with the good old Protech knee pads etc.
They where great. I think I wore at least three of them out until they just disintegrated. due to lack of care and a lot of use.
But I see that Neptune is only a shadow of itself now. Shame.
Well I guess I will have to get a one piece now. Funny we used to laugh at one piece suits as not being diving suits as they where more for surfers etc. . How times change I guess.
Almost impossible to buy a quality two piece wetsuit in Australia now.

For Sydney, everyone I know uses a 5/7 mm (that is, 5 mm on lower arms and legs and 7 mm on upper arms, legs and body).

As stated, you can wear something under it in winter. I used to use a long sleeve T-shirt (before I went drysuit). For best wetsuits in Australia, Seatec is the go. See their web site at DrySuits - DrySuits | WetSuit.

I've always suspected that deep diving on mixed gasses produced mutations.........here's the proof.

For Sydney, everyone I know uses a 5/7 mm (that is, 5 mm on lower arms and legs and 7 mm on upper arms, legs and body).:shocked:

Neptune used to produce excellent 2 piece wetsuits under the ownership of John Piper. The new owners
produced less than desirable rubbish as you and others found out first hand. Occasionally some of the original Electras or Integras make it to ebay in little used condition and are snapped up by those 'in the know'. For winter a 7mm Seatec semi dry does the job nicely for both upper and lower appendages. :D

Thanks;
Shame about Neptune, because they where the best in Aussie wetsuits.
Looks like SeaTec it is.
I like to get local stuff, let's hope they don't disappear as well.
Quickly running out of good manufacturers.
Marty :)
I've always suspected that deep diving on mixed gasses produced mutations.........here's the proof.

Neptune used to produce excellent 2 piece wetsuits under the ownership of John Piper. The new owners
produced less than desirable rubbish as you and others found out first hand. Occasionally some of the original Electras or Integras make it to ebay in little used condition and are snapped up by those 'in the know'. For winter a 7mm Seatec semi dry does the job nicely for both upper and lower appendages. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom