Sydney day-trip to see Weedy Seadragons in late November

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jedah

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys!

We will be stopping in Sydney for 3 days on our way back from PNG next November.

Any pointers on a dive-op in Sydney that could take us to see the Weedy seadragons on a day-trip? Are these guys around that time of the year??

THANKS!

J.

:happywave sorry i didnt answer this earlier but ive been flat out

Kurnell (sutherland shire) is pretty much a guaranteed dive site for weedies..... you just have to know the tick to finding them (ie, patience and watch the kelpline)

i do see them at Bare Island (3 on sunday) but these are not as common as kurnell (ive had anything from 1 to 20 weedies on a kurnell dive)

dive ops, Shiprock Dive (Jonathan) or Abyss (Carl)

and yes, they year round.... and November will be a great time to enjoy Kurnell

oh, and Kurnell is a shore dive on a incoming tide so you should be able to get at least 2 dives there to find the little buggers

we hope to take El Orans there on thursday as he too wants to see the weedies

cheers

Thank you Almitywife!

We will check out those dive ops at Kurnell! Hopefully we'll get to see those weedies!

Abyss dive does guided shore dives on Fridays, which is the day we would go.

Will let you know how things go!

J.

went diving today at kurnell with El Orans

1st dive, at least 15mtrs vis and found about 8 weedies - i stopped looking for them after the first 6

2nd dive vis was down a bit (a huge storm blew in) but even El Orans was finding the buggers on that dive so once you know what you are looking for you know how to find them

total marine score for the day, weedies, frogfish, lots of rays, moray, cuttle fish, big blue gropers (we say groper here) and the usual fishlife like leatherjackets & old wives

when Fairy Basslet was visiting in december she thought they would be tiny so i made sure to tell El they were about 30cms (12") long

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom