T17 'real' lift

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stargost

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Tobin,

another question for the day,

Would you be 100% confident that the T17 will float a Rig like this: Small DSS SS plate + harness + Reg + Wor HP100 (full at beginning of dive) ?

theory is just ok => - 4 (plate) -1(harness/knife) -2 (reg) -10 (Full tank) = -17. But, this is just at the limit.

Thanks !

Hi Tobin,

another question for the day,

Would you be 100% confident that the T17 will float a Rig like this: Small DSS SS plate + harness + Reg + Wor HP100 (full at beginning of dive) ?

theory is just ok => - 4 (plate) -1(harness/knife) -2 (reg) -10 (Full tank) = -17. But, this is just at the limit.

Thanks !

Too close for comfort. It might work, but add a "fat fill" and constrain the wing a little and you could loose your gear.

The 17 is intended for warm water divers who are typically using ~3mm suits and al 80's.

Tobin

There is indeed a little bit of warm water objective. Suit buoyancy isn't an issue even in cold water.
However, there are warm water places where they use steel tank + I wanted the rig to be used around here too.

So even if I don't really like the LCD, I hear you and would have to go with the 20.

Thanks !

Just for interest, why do you dislike the LCD & like the torus.

There is indeed a little bit of warm water objective. Suit buoyancy isn't an issue even in cold water.
However, there are warm water places where they use steel tank + I wanted the rig to be used around here too.

So even if I don't really like the LCD, I hear you and would have to go with the 20.

Thanks !

There's nothing to dislike about a LCD wing, narrow, easy venting, I seriously doubt you could tell the difference in the water.

I should also mention that in warm water a SS Plate + Steel tank is very likely to leave you overweighted.

The typical 3mm suit is about +4 lbs. With a SS plate and Steel tank you will have about 8 lbs of ballast, or 4 more than you need.

The solution to being over weighted is *Never* a bigger wing.

With negative steel tanks + thin suits you should consider a lightweight backplate.

Tobin

Just for interest, why do you dislike the LCD & like the torus.

Dislike is strong. I just think that for newer divers, a Torus/donut shape wing is easier to vent.
Some experienced divers and Tobin keep repeating it is not the case, and both wings are the same, I'm sure they are right.....
.... this is why nowadays, you see more and more donuts wing ;-)

Note that the LCD has another advantage: its height which would allow diving with shorter tanks too.

I should also mention that in warm water a SS Plate + Steel tank is very likely to leave you overweighted.
Tobin

Yep. This is why the trend is getting closer and closer to a Kydex + LCD 20 !!
This would enable multi-purpose rigs for the 2 women members of the family: Warm water and local, with minor weigth ajustements

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom