T3 counseling needed.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

T2x/T3 are using pistons made out of the same material the 50% non-dedicated/80% dedicated M1 uses, monel. I assume that's the big change that allows for it, since most other things about them match up with the B2.

Frankly, I always thought the dedicated use "requirement" of the T2 was unnecessary in the first place and didn't bother to have the reg cleaned when switching back and forth between 32, 36 and 21%. No one ever refused a tank fill on any of my travels or asked to see a fill history. And I never blew up or caught on fire.

But better safe than sorry, so I didn't hesitate to "upgrade" my T2 into a T2x when Atomic released the kits a couple of years ago. I thought it strange that Atomic didn't advertise the kits on their website. I only found out about it by reading ScubaBoard.

In any case, there won't be a dedication issue with the T3 as that would be a giant step backwards and there's no way AA would do that.

Thanks for all the advice. I went with the ST1 with B2 octo and Cobalt dive computer. I am not entirely over the T3, but I think I got a good product in the end. I did not want to wait for the T3 given the uncertainty of the release date, and I was talked out of it by more than one person. It would have been nice to talk directly to a rep about the T3 before deciding. I spent the extra cash savings on a Sola 1200 dive lite.

For anyone in the Northern Virginia area I got my gear from Coral Edge Adventures in Manassas. I highly recommend them. The shop is huge compared to most other dive shops, and they have a lot of stock to actually put your hands on, not just catalogues. They are great people too and won't oversell you. Coral Edge Adventures - Your Next Adventure Begins Here

Good choices. The ST1 is a fine reg and will last forever, assuming you take care of it. And the Cobalt is a fantastic computer. Now get out there and put that gear to work!

Thanks for all the advice. I went with the ST1 with B2 octo and Cobalt dive computer. I am not entirely over the T3, but I think I got a good product in the end. I did not want to wait for the T3 given the uncertainty of the release date, and I was talked out of it by more than one person. It would have been nice to talk directly to a rep about the T3 before deciding. I spent the extra cash savings on a Sola 1200 dive lite.

For anyone in the Northern Virginia area I got my gear from Coral Edge Adventures in Manassas. I highly recommend them. The shop is huge compared to most other dive shops, and they have a lot of stock to actually put your hands on, not just catalogues. They are great people too and won't oversell you. Coral Edge Adventures - Your Next Adventure Begins Here

Congratulations!!!

Dive you get Yoke or DIN fitting?

FWIW - on the T2x there is a monel piston, monel swivel retainer, monel HP seat retainer, and monel yoke nut. These four parts are stainless (piston) and Ti for the other three on T1 through T2.

Ugh. After mixed information I got the yoke. I got so distracted by deciding over a specific reg I did not spend much time talking to the shop guys about DIN vs Yoke. I think it was an assumption I wanted the yoke. I will mostly be diving for travel so will likely need the yoke predominately. A good friend who is a tech diver said the adapter can be a pain hitting you in the head too. Hopefully I can get it converted down the road if I get my own tanks. Kind of regretting that decision.

Eh, don't worry about it. Keep the ST1 as your go-to yoke reg and buy new DIN reg(s) for your future tank(s) :D

For a while, I was taking my nice cave-ringed M1 second stages off my M1s and putting them on my ST1 every time I wanted to dive rental tanks rather than my doubles. Now I just save myself the time and wear on the fittings and cough up the $$ for an extra set of second stages and hoses.

Ugh. After mixed information I got the yoke. I got so distracted by deciding over a specific reg I did not spend much time talking to the shop guys about DIN vs Yoke. I think it was an assumption I wanted the yoke. I will mostly be diving for travel so will likely need the yoke predominately. A good friend who is a tech diver said the adapter can be a pain hitting you in the head too. Hopefully I can get it converted down the road if I get my own tanks. Kind of regretting that decision.

I have the same setup you have but in DIN. I also have the Yoke adapter to use when I am using rental Yoke Tanks. No problem either way at all and the Yoke adapter doesn't hit me in the head at all. What is also noted is that most Tank valves sold today can be used as standard (yoke) or DIN since there is an insert in the valve that you can remove easily to make it useable for DIN first stages (I always carry with me the appropriate size wrench).

You can always get the part to make the first stage DIN later when needed and installing it is no big deal at all.

What I did with my ST1 setup was to install a 42" hose for the primary second stage that is routed under my right arm. This primary SS is used as the primary and as the SS to donate to somebody who needs air. The backup (octo) SS (still an ST1 SS), is on a 24" hose attached with a necklace around my neck. This backup SS in the necklace is for me to use when I donate my primary (on the longer hose) to a diver needing to share air. For both second stages, I replaced the original hoses with myflex hoses with the appropriate lengths and added after-market swivels. Since the primary SS is on a long hose and to avoid dragging on the floor and/or catching on something, I attached a bolt snap to it with a tie-wrap. I attach the bolt-snap to one of the D-rings on my BC's right shoulder when the primary SS isn't in use. I un-attach the bolt snap from the D-ring when I am ready to use the SS and put it in my mouth.

Before I go in the water, I turn the two adjustment knobs second stages so that they are all the way in and won't free flow when I jump in the water. I keep the backup SS with this adjustment throughout the dive so it won't free flow but I turn the adjustment knob all the way out (easiest to breathe) in the primary SS while I am using it underwater.

Happy Diving!!!!

Still feeling the regret of not getting DIN. If I start diving local and get my own tanks I guess that will force me to invest in a dedicated DIN setup. Hopefully that will be the case.

How did you get an ST1 octo? I could not find one. My only options were Z2, B2, M1 or Ti2. I thought about the M1, but I went with the B2 because of the swivel. The shop guys said the swivel might make the octo more streamlined in holding closer to the body.

Also have you had any Cobalt issues with firmware updates? I am on v1.13/2.

Departing on Turks and Caicos Explorer 2 June 1.

Back
Top Bottom