Taboo GUE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

East West

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I want to ask if the topic of solo diving totally out of the question for the GUI and DIR folks . I did a word search on the GUI forum for " solo " and it did not exist . I wonder if DIR also has no reference to this word . I was checking them out because they are good with their gear which gave me second thoughts . I bought a large Halcyon BC and the power inflater hose was 12 inches long , the ball to pull on the dump valve the size of a dime or maybe a nickle. I promptly changed both to suit my own needs . Regards Charles

Last edited:
I suspect you mean GUE (Global Underwater Explorers) ... in which case, they do not advocate solo diving. The diving philosophy of DIR is based around diving as a team ... and that means two or more people coordinating their efforts.

From the description of your needs above, GUE would be the wrong approach for you. This isn't intended as an insult ... it's the wrong approach for a lot of people. I would recommend you seek out a good TDI or IANTD instructor who can help you set up your equipment and develop skills that you'd be more comfortable with ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks for your good advice and your choice not to flame me for this thread that I regret . regards Charles

I have found only one speech of Jarrod jablonski (Mr. GUE and Mr. DIR) where he talks about solo-diving. He just saids than Solo and SM are the only two reasonable exceptions to not use a manifold.

Last edited:
I have found only one speech of Jarrod jablonski (Mr. GUE and Mr. DIR) where he talks about solo-diving. He just saids than Solo and SM are the only two reasonable exceptions to not use a manifold.
Now I'm curious. What makes solo a reasonable exception for not using a manifold?

"What makes solo a reasonable exception for not using a manifold?"
While it's improbable a manifold could malfunction and cause you to lose all your back gas...

Now I'm curious. What makes solo a reasonable exception for not using a manifold?

The DIR Philosophy by Jarrod Jablonski
Two reasonable exceptions are solo diving and side mount. In solo diving the diver is without a dive buddy and therefore a catastrophic failure of their gas supply would be fatal. Some solo divers use a manifold and carry a spare cylinder or "buddy" bottle. This tank is usually of moderate size (roughly 80ft&#8805:wink: and provides a redundant supply of air for the exit. Independent valves require that the diver pay stricter attention to the one third air rule by using one cylinder for one third of its volume and switching to the second cylinder to continue the penetration. Upon exhausting the second third from tank two the diver must began the exit, switching back to the first tank after another third is used. Any variation of this system could prove fatal in an equipment failure as the diver would lose access to the air in that cylinder and may have an insufficient supply for an exit. It requires great care and superior gas management capabilities to effectively monitor independent cylinders and experience has shown that most people do not posses the necessary management skills.

Correct me if I am wrong, DIR and GUE. The safety diver is solo diving down the deco line to do what ever there task is that they do.

And solo diving is however you choose to dive, thats why you are solo diving, there are no rules what so ever.

Happy Diving

Safety divers dive in pairs. No GUE diver dives alone. The very core of the approach to diving is teamwork. If working as a team doesn't fit you or work for your diving (and, for example, I don't think it works for deep spearfishermen) then don't adopt it.

Back
Top Bottom