Taboo GUE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Correct me if I am wrong, DIR and GUE. The safety diver is solo diving down the deco line to do what ever there task is that they do.

And solo diving is however you choose to dive, thats why you are solo diving, there are no rules what so ever.

Happy Diving

Technically there are no rules for diving whatsoever ... it's entirely a self-regulated activity. Whether you dive with a buddy or not the rules are whatever you set for yourself and ... if you have one ... the person you're diving with.

What you are given in your classes are guidelines ... based on an analysis of risks associated with whatever aspect of diving one can expect in the type of diving you're training for. Whether or not you choose to observe those guidelines after class is strictly up to you.

But within that context, there are guidelines for solo diving that are taught in the solo class. Redundant gas is the most obvious and well-known one ... but it's not the only one.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That would be solo deep spearo TS&M. And yes there are solo classes out there for new to solo. But I never take redundant air on a single tank, mostly I am spearing and need to be streamline and fast. Deep solo on twins is always going to have redundant.

Redundant on a single is 3rd's, saturday a diver said he goes to 500 PSI to get max bottom time, I taught him how to dive here in PNW, when a diver decides his own air and ways is when I know they are on there own. He has dove with others and with his son, there time is limited so they want bottom time.

I have a hundred or so hours down under since the 25th of may and 4 to 5 hours a day in the next few days, all single tank, extreme current, team diving would be dangerous on the level of my dive profile.

Now I will go raise yacht's, planes, with a team. and other underwater construction.

But solo is where its at when you want to enjoy the sea.

Happy Diving

I have found only one speech of Jarrod jablonski (Mr. GUE and Mr. DIR) where he talks about solo-diving. He just saids than Solo and SM are the only two reasonable exceptions to not use a manifold.

I agree with this Jablonsky guy about Solo and SM divers not needing a manifold.

Moreover, IMHO, it is a good idea for Solo divers to use SM configuration to begin with...

You can solo any tank configuration

Solo is any configuration you dive, diving doubles is is for the simple fact you need more air for the dive. When solo diving deep, lets say 170' ta 200' and spend bottom time, is when I enjoy just looking at all the critters and there actions. I mainly just cruise around a bit and slowly come up, and spend deco with the critters if not in open water.
Knowing your SAC rate is by far the best solo tool there is, and to adjust + or - during the dive. once you know how long you can dive a certain amount of gas, the time is merely recorded in memory and also the psi. I can dive 80 cubic in a way that, I will have a thousand left every time.

While spearing ling, I use a beachuat jacket BCD DSC04985.jpg notice analog gauge is slung through pocket, and I use no timing device. I use steel 95's and 100's and come back with 1500 psi. if wrestling the ling till on stringer gets involved I simply look down at depth and and psi.

I pick a different BCD each year and so far I can set them up to a simple solo unit.

Two years ago I used BP/W it was nice as I could drop weight from using jacket. I used a scubapro classic last year, and an apollo prestige ex 2000 W/I although I use a W/B.

For cabezon I use just a Plastic back pack and no flotation, with an al 50 and 63, for speed in usually in the 60' ta 80' range.

Monkey diving with a BP is very simple also while solo, if using an al you can breathe it down till it is positive un clip and use it to float if needed.

Solo Is the answer to dive on your own schedule, and we all have that as a contender in diving. Gue divers will dive solo, to set a float for class or like, but in other words would use a buddy when doing class. I know its not the correct manor, but it will happen from time to time.

Happy Diving

diving doubles is is for the simple fact you need more air for the dive.

i disagree, i dive twin 7 litres, slightly more gas than when i was diving a single 12 litre, but not far from when i dived 1 single 12 & a 3l pony. i like the balance i get from the twin & i rarely use more than 1 1/4 cylinders on a dive so i know i can always get back to the surface if an hp hose blows.

i don't often do the deeper wrecks, but if i did i would use a couple of 12 litres instead, under normal circumstances it doesn't make sense for me to cart that much gas around.

I use no timing device.
Why not? Casio watches are so cheap and perfectly suitable for deep diving. How do you keep track of nitrogen loading and decompression obligations?

When solo diving deep, lets say 170' ta 200' and spend bottom time, is when I enjoy just looking at all the critters and there actions.
Unless you do very quick bounce dives and not take the time to look at critters, those depths will put you in mandatory deco obligations, yet you carry no time keeping device? If you're carrying no time keeping device, why carry a depth gauge at all?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom