Taboo GUE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unless you do very quick bounce dives and not take the time to look at critters, those depths will put you in mandatory deco obligations, yet you carry no time keeping device? If you're carrying no time keeping device, why carry a depth gauge at all?

Slamfire, you took the question right outta ma mouth! Although I understand that VooDoo is saying that he knows how long he's been down based on his gas consumption. I agree that this could be done to a reasonable degree of accuracy, but with "time" being so critical, I fail to see the point in not using some gizmo to track time... If not a computer then a watch.

Personally, I go into the water with two computers, and in the case of dive with any sort of deco, a slate and profiles to boot...

Sylpha, sorry did not get to you awhile ago, first of all, take and old spg down to 8 fathoms, pull you knife out and cut the hose right off. you will have time to get to the surface, as you said you have saved in this case. also if this were to happen kink the hose and it will slow considerably.
Diving doubles for the dive is when you plan to spend some bottom time.

slamfire you want to learn, I like it. Ok you dive 72 Cf, you go down to 130 with a casual ascent(sorry all my tanks are filled to 3500, lp and hp tanks) anyways, say I take 4 min getting there, I look and see 3100 ta 3200 left, I swim around for awhile at 2600 ta 2700 I slowly ascend and do a multilevel dive, at two thousand I make my way back towards the boat, at 1300 I do my safety, release my anchor and ascend up anchor line.

Slamfire, do a dive, and just look at psi, you have redundant if you feel at safety you need to look and see if you blew any deco obligations. and I have dive watches , computers, analyzers. But for a spearfishing dive, I am out to spear fish, and just do a dive, I just want to do a dive.

Any thing past 190' and I call 200' a 190', I will use a computer or timing device or both. Knowing the navy tables is a great bit of knowledge to know in this way of diving. You can do the decos even if you are not sure you need to, why not, yea it is boring on a wreck or pinnacle dive on a anchor line, or shootin a bag.

And stoo thanks, I would have missed this, you of all should know, diving wrecks in the great lakes, my gosh tobermory. If known max depth on wreck, or a look at depth sounder. You know your planned dive, wrecks are only so tall, then scoot up the ascent line and do decos, stay awhile longer on each stop, and last stop, deploy gas to a point you know you have accomplished that deco.

You have to know what you breathe in an amount of CF in a certain tank, then practice the dives leaving 1000 left once to the surface.

YOU WILL PICK UP ON YOUR OWN OF THINGS THAT WILL HELP YOU TO BE COMFORTABLE DIVING THIS WAY.

My diving also consist of know compass, and I have no bc on my last 50 hours of diving. I go through ell grass, and thick kelp to get down to the cabezon, mind you I hang on to an inflatabe with anchor line (no Anchor) and use only a plastic backpack, but thats a whole nother game.

VooDoo, if you size your picture properly (less than 720 pixels wide) and embed it on lines free of text, then readers of this thread won't have to scroll left and right to read each line. Thanks.

I know what a pain, I changed something in my profile page and the way I post has changed. I will work on that. And to think I was going to go get a 56" monitor, LoL, thanks and I know what the other GUE is, whoops God Ugly something(single malt scotch kickin in).

Sylpha, sorry did not get to you awhile ago, first of all, take and old spg down to 8 fathoms, pull you knife out and cut the hose right off. you will have time to get to the surface, as you said you have saved in this case. also if this were to happen kink the hose and it will slow considerably.
Diving doubles for the dive is when you plan to spend some bottom time.

hmmmm a whole 14.6meters with no safety stop and assuming no deco think i'll stick to my twin set - less stress less hassle and i'll take my computer and my watch and my compass and my bc, i plan to come back with all my kit And my life thanks!

Well, you know the saying, The day you stop learning is the day you stop living. Irrespective of whether it can be done or not, or how many times you have done it, the downsides of carrying a watch/timer are so few (none that I can think of) while you do have crucial benefits available in your wrist.

You may be able to get away with going commando everyday to work, but carrying some underwear on you is really not that much of a hassle and you'll be glad you have some with you when you need it.

"What makes solo a reasonable exception for not using a manifold?"
While it's improbable a manifold could malfunction and cause you to lose all your back gas...

You could (and should IMO) learn proper gas shutdown procedures, which would prevent you from losing all your back gas in that situation.

I think he's he refers to simultaneous oring failures on both sides of the manifold. In that specific situation, you would lose all back gas. IMO that is such an improbable situation that the benefits of soloing with a manifold outweigh the risk of having that failure happen.

I think he's he refers to simultaneous oring failures on both sides of the manifold. In that specific situation, you would lose all back gas. IMO that is such an improbable situation that the benefits of soloing with a manifold outweigh the risk of having that failure happen.

Yeah, I guess I see what you mean, but that, to me anyway, is pretty far-fetched and borders on ridiculous.

The failure is "not paying attention". If you run out of gas solo because you're stupid, you still have gas on you if you have isolated cylinders. Manifolded, when you're out, you're out.

Back
Top Bottom