Taking AOW instructor to Coz. Need cheap Hotel.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Petra

Reaction score
My wife and I have been trying to finish our AOW for a year now. Just can't seem to find the time and place to do it. Our LDS does a number of trips every year, but the times conflicted with our schedules.

I made a deal with our instructor. We'll pay for her airfare (I work for an airline so we can fly stand-by cheap), hotel, and diving if she'll come down to Coz with us and finish our AOW. So, I'm looking for a cheap, but nice, hotel near town and near a dive shop or two. I don't need fancy. I would like it to be clean, safe, and have cable or satelite TV (I don't do night life). The 3 of us really like diving with Aqua Safari so it would be a plus if it was near them or a dock where they'll pick up.

I really like what I see of Hacienda San Miguel and Bahia. But I can't figure out how far they are from a dock. I don't want to schlep gear too far or take a cab. (Picky, ain't he.) I looked at Safari Inn. Looked a bit run down, no TV, but the location was good. Suggestions?

Mark

Try webtourist.net or traveldealslastminute.com for some good deals. We got into Hotel Cozumel (Brisas) for $89 in Feb with AAA. Definitely worth the money.

You can't beat Casa Mexicana if you want to be next door to Aqua Safari. It's not cheap, but it isn't prohibitive. Barracuda is also well located and a little spartan, but ok.

For me, either CM or Hotel Coz work great as they are in/close to town.

Travelnotes.cc at the Caribe blu Hotel. Right next door to Blue Angel dive shop. I haven't stayed there, but have read decent things about the place. I would stay there if I didn't have a non-diving wife and kids to think about.

diveborg:
Travelnotes.cc at the Caribe blu Hotel. Right next door to Blue Angel dive shop. I haven't stayed there, but have read decent things about the place. I would stay there if I didn't have a non-diving wife and kids to think about.
I've stayed there and at $65 a night (maybe less as summer approaches) it's a perfect place. Right on the water with it's own pier (no gear schleping), great rooms for divers, all ocean view.

If you use the in house dive op, Blue Angel (also excellent) you can get all the free shore diving your heart desires. The shore dive there would be perfect for a number of possible AOW dives: Night, navigation, bouyancy, photo, fish id, etc, etc... Anything but deep.

James

Look into hotel Vista Del Mar. It's not as fancy as the Casa Mexicana next door, but it does have cable TV and you can find deals via Expedia.com

www.hotelvistadelmar.com

Two more options near to town are ~ Hotel Barracuda and Costa Brava Hotel. Hotel Barracuda has a pier and on-site diveshop while Costa Brava is very near Barracuda and everyone staying at Costa Brava uses the Barracuda pier. Both are long time traditional, family owned hotels that have been serving the dive industry for over 20 years. Not familiar with Costa Brava pricing but one can usually "walk up" during low season there and get a room in the $60 range D/O.
HOTEL BARRACUDA
FROM APRIL 16, 2004 - DECEMBER 20, 2004 EXCLUDING FALL SPECIAL RATES
SINGLE RATE 60.00 PER NIGHT
DOUBLE RATE 70.00 PER NIGHT
TRIPLE RATE 76.00 PER NIGHT
QUAD RATE 81.00 PER NIGHT
ALL RATES ARE PER ROOM AND INCLUDE HOTEL TAXES
TOLL FREE # 1-866-327-1389

Good luck with your AOW and have fun in Cozumel!

Bahia gets a thumbs up from me, they are right in town and across from the Aldora dock where I assume Aqua Safari can pick you up. They have cable as I was watching CNN when I woke up. Good breakfast buffet catered in from the Casa Mexicana people.
Cost me $54/night.

Do you have direct flights to Coz from Houston all Summer? I am envious.

crispos:
Do you have direct flights to Coz from Houston all Summer? I am envious.

Continental flies daily non-stop service to Cozumel year round. I believe it goes to twice a day during the summer.

Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom