Taking bacon to Egypt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great post! I miss it after a week or two, so it must be a bummer working out there, of course there are up sides to that type of job...

My friend lives in Dahab and has asked me to take him some bacon out next week, whats the penalty for getting caught at customs with it, is it just confiscated or something more severe.

31 degrees forecast for Monday , can't wait..

6 sleeps to go.

N.S

Hey,does your friend go by the name of Tom??
Anyways,I bring him a couple of big salame sausages every year.No prob so far:D

No problem. A err friend of mine has done this a few times - As mentioned great currency :wink:

TBH if you did have a few packs and get checked - who cares. Now a complete suitcase full might not be so easy to explain :D

I always have bacon and kielbasa for my European friends living in Egypt. Never had any problems. I also bring them good wine, Polish vodka (this is a must), cavior and cuban cigars :)

OK thanks guys probably give it a go, if it get confiscated tough titty.

Didnt fancy spending any time in an Egyptian jail when I could be diving.:D

N.S

Considering the penalties for bring something as innocent as fruit into the US (I guess they're worried about bugs), I'd declare any food/etc. you bring in to any foreign country. Spending the rest of my days in some hole because I offended the custom's guy or broke a law I didn't know about, isn't at the top of my "to do" list.

Terry

Considering the penalties for bring something as innocent as fruit into the US (I guess they're worried about bugs), I'd declare any food/etc. you bring in to any foreign country. Spending the rest of my days in some hole because I offended the custom's guy or broke a law I didn't know about, isn't at the top of my "to do" list.

Terry

Out of all the countries I've been to, entering the States remains the scariest.

I wouldn't worry about bringing a sausage/bacon/etc/ to Egypt in the slightest.

J

I have a friend who used to bring, ahem, adult literature into Saudi Arabia. Once he was caught and customs asked if he wanted to keep his magazine. He said "yes", so they censored the offending parts with a razor, and he was left with pretty much Playboy confetti held together with the odd car advert.

Not bacon and not Egypt, but I thought the story was good enough to repeat anyway.

I have a friend who used to bring, ahem, adult literature into Saudi Arabia. Once he was caught and customs asked if he wanted to keep his magazine. He said "yes", so they censored the offending parts with a razor, and he was left with pretty much Playboy confetti held together with the odd car advert.

Not bacon and not Egypt, but I thought the story was good enough to repeat anyway.

I once got stopped by U.S. customs coming from Mexico to the UK via Dallas with some prescription opiates that were legal as prescribed in the UK but illegal in the US (buprenorphine). I shook so much while they were searching me that my lip then belly started shaking. Eventually they gave up and believed it was just a really bad hangover. The quintessentially moustachioed customs dude said 'Son, I bet your piss is BROWN -you need to get you some JD and quick otherwise you gonna get this same treatment every step of the way'

He was right. I went upstairs, puked, and got a cab.

To Hooters at the Grassy Knoll.

Then puked again a few times.

Eventually kept enough drink down to get back inside the airport and they let me on.

I can't say that was a fun trip. Although my brother broke quite a few ribs when he fell down the pool bar that night I came home on the bonnet of the VW bug. So it was kinda quitz.

J

(sorry for the hijack)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom