Tall Tale, Big Talker or Just Plain Lucky ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dhampton82:
Maybe thats what the repeat dive was for. To go back down and do his deco :D

I had a guy I worked with a few months ago tell me that he used to dive Nitrox, then asked me if I knew what Nitrox was. I acted dumb and said no, so he went on this 10 minute story about how its this gas mix that lets him dive up to 300' deep.

Of course I just acted "interested" and went back to work silently laughing to my self

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

I see a lot of these "Superdivers" in my travels. That's why I usually dive solo...:wink:

mislav:
LOL! I never logged pool dives, they're for skill practice.

OK. Just remember to think of pool dives as akin to self-gratification. We all do it, we just never talk about it.

Diver Dennis:
:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

I see a lot of these "Superdivers" in my travels. That's why I usually dive solo...:wink:

You need to pick better partners. Then you wouldn't have to...never mind, I just remembered you're a photog. The world is better off with you types diving solo.:wink:

The story is, of course true. It does however need some "interpretation", please allow me to try:

"I used to dive" (translation: he tried diving once) he said, and then began a tale of a dive in the great lakes on a wreck where the mast of the ship was at 165ft and the deck at 240ft (translation: he did a scuba try out on a Great lake, where, further out there is a terrific wreck. He was in about 12 feet of water) , and how after being there for 30 minutes a buddy came up behind him and slapped him on the back to get his attention (translation: he started to panic after 10 minutes) - his regulator flew out of his mouth (translation: he spat the regulator out) and he swallowed some water (translation: he panicked), so he followed his training and immediately dropped his weights (translation: ripped all his dive gear off) and began to swim up as fast as he could (translation: he bolted for the surface) screaming (translation: screaming) the whole way so that his lungs wouldn't explode (translation: still screaming). He surfaced and all his buddies soon followed very worried about him. Since he was a good diver (his words) they didn't let this stop them and they did a second dive (translation: *they* did a second dive - he snorkled....).
-j-

Everyone has their stories to tell...and they usually start off based upon some sort of truth and then quickly turning into some fantastic tale...

I work with a guy who pretty much claims he's done everything, including diving. He asks me in the vanpool one day "So how much weight are you using? 60 lbs?" I stopped listening after that..:shakehead :D

After his tale of diving, he proceeds to tell me about how the first time he ever played golf, he shot a -4 for nine holes... Why he never joined the PGA is beyond me..:wink:

Ahhhh....stories...they make for good laughs..:14:

I think you are all very mean!!! Why wouldn't he be telling the truth??? I mean.....why should he lie about it???

I bet you don't believe in magic or dragons either!!! :11:

:Wizard:​

kidspot:
As I was listening to him my first thought was ... "how can you be doing 165+ft dives and NOT be completely comfortable recovering your regulator?"
Actually, if this was "back in the day," he MAY have been diving a double hose. IF that was the case AND it was an "older" model, he would NOT have been able to clear it without at least SOME air in his chest unless he went through a "clearing" routine that could be complicated. At the time, what he described WAS the preferred method in an emergency, BUT, 165 to 240 on one of those babies... I doubt it.

How old was this guy and did he say he was a NAVY diver?

I was at a dinner party at my wife's boss house that I really did not feel like going to. I observed a photo of him surrounded by stingrays. He was wearing rental gear as evidenced by numbers painted on his gear. Looked like Stingray City to me. Asked him if he was into diving, big mistake. Next thing I know he was telling me how he had dove the Andrea Doria a lot, blah, blah, blah. Of course he had to carry extra big oxygen tanks so everyone could buddy breath on the way up, etc. He was a little hazy on what brand of regulators he liked or what type drysuit he used. I was enjoying myself a little too much as I let him dig himself into one hole after the other. Suddenly my blood ran cold-The old lady was giving me "The Look". I had to behave myself the rest of the night.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom