Tall Tale, Big Talker or Just Plain Lucky ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

james croft:
Suddenly my blood ran cold-The old lady was giving me "The Look". I had to behave myself the rest of the night.
Don't you hate it when that happens? :D

Heres a good one,
A friend of my wifes says so you dive huh? He then proceeds to tell me about his most vertical feet in one day adventure. He apparently sky dived from a hight that required o2 on descent, onto the deck of a anchored boat, anchored you guessed it on the Doria, at which time he stripped off his jump suit, changed to a bigger o2 bottle and dove to the bottom to get lobsters. It gets better, later that day he flew to Vegas to see a show.
I hung my head and walked away, later ROFLMAO with the wife.
Eric

waterpirate:
He apparently sky dived from a hight that required o2 on descent, onto the deck of a anchored boat, anchored you guessed it on the Doria, at which time he stripped off his jump suit, changed to a bigger o2 bottle and dove to the bottom to get lobsters.
Eric
Pretty awesome. Was he wearing a tuxedo under his jump suit?

and did you hear the one about the guy who was spit out by a gdgw??

oh, wait, that one's true...

i love these kinds of stories!

Along this same line. What amazes the heck out of me is people with less than <50 dives offering advice to others on diving procedures and what to do and not do on these threads. I joined the SB to further my knowledge and gain insight from others, but you sure have to look at who's offering it!!! Even with the limited dive experience and ratings I have, I'm hesitant to offer any advice. Somtimes, I think to myself there are some real whoppers being told in these threads too!!!!

kidspot:
After climbing back on the boat today one of the passengers approaches me (glass bottom boat tour I work on) - "I used to dive" he said, and then began a tale of a dive in the great lakes on a wreck where the mast of the ship was at 165ft and the deck at 240ft, and how after being there for 30 minutes a buddy came up behind him and slapped him on the back to get his attention - his regulator flew out of his mouth and he swallowed some water, so he followed his training and immediately dropped his weights and began to swim up as fast as he could screaming the whole way so that his lungs wouldn't explode. He surfaced and all his buddies soon followed very worried about him. Since he was a good diver (his words) they didn't let this stop them and they did a second dive.

Once he was done with his story I just nodded my head and said I hoped he had a good day with us ... I just couldn't bring myself to say anything else ...

At least it made for a good story ... then again maybe that's how they used to teach diving in the "good old days" ... how would a new diver like me know?

Aloha, Tim
'Heeey maaaannn ... I know that dude ... "

:D

There's a saying that a good story doesn't have to be true ... it just has to be interesting ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Ah stories...some are so entertaining..and when you can logically confront someone whom is spinning the tall tale...and watch them squirm as they try to correct themselves...Now that is entertaining. Especially fun when COCKY ego driven divers spin a tale of diving deep, doing wreck penetrations without proper training and proper gear. Redundant gas, reels or even common sence...ANd when challenged to explain further - while using the terms Overhead environment, Rules of thirds, MOD using Nitrox..wait..deeper dives need..UM trimix maybe...and how argon can be used as a breathing gas...since they almost ran out of air they used there argon bottle to escape the clutches of doom....as they blew off there deco after a 45 minute dive to 220 feet....amusing indeed.

Safe dives...keep them stories coming...
Stephen

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom