Tank decision; depth/cold of chartered dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jackie:
Most people are going to get cold diving in a wetsiut where you live.
Not in my experience. At least, not if they dive during "the season".
Bretagus:
What is the depth range of the "popular" charterboat sites...
Anywhere from 30' to 180'+. It depends on what you want to do. I've been on lobster dives, seal dives, and several cool debris fields that were once shipwrecks in the 30' to 60' range, I've had great scallop hunts at depths from 50' to 75'. There are a number of wrecks between 80' and 130', and plenty to keep a technical diver busy at depths beyond that.
Bretagus:
Secondly, can you expect to dive to the NDL at that depth w/o freezing in a 7mm? Personally, I found my arms would get pretty cold after 40-50 minutes on a shoredive with a max depth around 40-50ft.
I never had a problem with cold when diving wet from may through early october.
Bretagus:
Basically, I'm deciding between an 80 or a 100.
Go with the 100. I don't think you'll ever wish you had less gas in your cylinder.

For singles I mostly dive my HP100s. My buddy and I will sometimes use his LP95s or his HP119s. For doubles, I have LP85s. My SAC is pretty low, so I can usually get two shallow short shore dives off one HP100 (45 min long dives). In fact, for shallow shore dives, the 100s are clearly overkill. The majority of Cape Ann shore sites are in 20-40'. You can stay down for quite awhile with 80cf. For the deeper rec stuff, you'll probably want more gas. That said, I often come up with nearly half a cylinder. I can pretty much do any two rec dives up here on the LP85s maintaining rock bottom at all times. The LP85s are also a lot cheaper than my HP100s. There's also the fact my HP fills tend to be 200-300 PSI short (not a killer, just means you might not be getting rated capacity). Given the recent increases in steel price, if you're thinking of HP cylinders, I'd personally look for used ones (I got a killer deal on my 100s from a NE SB member). That said, PG in Newton is currently running a cylinder sale ($50 off any Worthington cylinders; orders must be placed in the next two days).

Good luck.

Matt appears to have some internal combustion going on. I will reach the limit of my temperature comfort or reach NDL limits in a DRYSUIT long before I run out of air in early and late season. Never mind a 7mm wetsuit. During the warmest time of year - 3 month period for example - I can empty a tank if I'm staying above NDL's.

The depths of the most popular sites are 80 - 110' around Cape Ann in my opinion...Poling....Burnham's Ledge....Paddock.

A brand new neo drysuit can be had for $500 with some effort in searching. Keep this in mind with wetsuit purchases.

--Matt

I've had personal experience with steel 72s, AL80s, steel 100s and I have a buddy who used AL100s. Out of those cylinders, I'd recommend the HP steel 100s for boat dives or anything over 40fsw. I had never come even close to running out of gas...NDL chases me out first.

However, you might not want to rule out some slightly bigger tanks. I got a mild case of cylinder envy on a charter the other day. I thought I was manly lugging my steel 100s on the boat. That was until I helped the other four guys load their 108s, 120s, etc. on the boat. I felt a little inadequate.:D Don't worry, I just e-mailed my counselor.

All kidding aside, there are other sizes of tanks out there -- both HP and LP tanks -- which I have no experience with but do see on boats quite often. Hopefully, someone who owns one of those tank sizes will chime in. No matter what size you buy, I would highly recommend a steel tank in general due to factors already mentioned. Good luck.

LobstaMan

matt_unique:
Matt appears to have some internal combustion going on. I will reach the limit of my temperature comfort or reach NDL limits in a DRYSUIT long before I run out of air in early and late season. Never mind a 7mm wetsuit. During the warmest time of year - 3 month period for example - I can empty a tank if I'm staying above NDL's.

The depths of the most popular sites are 80 - 110' around Cape Ann in my opinion...Poling....Burnham's Ledge....Paddock.

A brand new neo drysuit can be had for $500 with some effort in searching. Keep this in mind with wetsuit purchases.

--Matt

Agree. In fact, if it were me, instead of blowing >$700 on two new cylinders, I'd invest that money in a dry suit and then start shopping for some used cylinders. Or find a friend who has many spares. In exchange for keeping his cylinders at my place, I was able to borrow my buddies 95s before buying my own cylinders.

LobstaMan:
I've had personal experience with steel 72s, AL80s, steel 100s and I have a buddy who used AL100s. Out of those cylinders, I'd recommend the HP steel 100s for boat dives or anything over 40fsw. I had never come even close to running out of gas...NDL chases me out first.

However, you might not want to rule out some slightly bigger tanks. I got a mild case of cylinder envy on a charter the other day. I thought I was manly lugging my steel 100s on the boat. That was until I helped the other four guys load their 108s, 120s, etc. on the boat. I felt a little inadequate.:D Don't worry, I just e-mailed my counselor.

All kidding aside, there are other sizes of tanks out there -- both HP and LP tanks -- which I have no experience with but do see on boats quite often. Hopefully, someone who owns one of those tank sizes will chime in. No matter what size you buy, I would highly recommend a steel tank in general due to factors already mentioned. Good luck.

LobstaMan

I find anything bigger than a 119 a pain to haul around for shore dives (this includes the HP120; it might be lighter than a 119, but its length makes it a bit awkward out of the water IMO). If you're just boat diving, sure, bigger is fine, but if you plan to scamper around at Cat Rocks, I'd think about sticking with 119s or smaller. 108s are beasts.

Rainer:
I find anything bigger than a 119 a pain to haul around for shore dives (this includes the HP120; it might be lighter than a 119, but its length makes it a bit awkward out of the water IMO). If you're just boat diving, sure, bigger is fine, but if you plan to scamper around at Cat Rocks, I'd think about sticking with 119s or smaller. 108s are beasts.

Yeah, I couldn't believe how heavy the LP108s were. They felt real 'thick' too...if that makes any sense. Well, off to counseling.:D As far as shore diving goes, I'm usually using my ol' trusty 72s unless I plan on going deeper than 40fsw. I can do almost an hour at STB on a 72 with the dizzing depths of 20fsw.

LobstaMan

Yeah, I'd like to pick something up for those shallow shore dives that's smaller than the HP100s. I just don't need that much gas. A 72 or HP80 would fit the bill nicely. That said, I've told myself I'm going to spend the summer practicing in doubles, so even Back Beach is going to be seeing me in 170cf.

I think a thing to consider is that if you are going to take ALL that time and money to get out on a boat to where you are going, why not have BIG FREEKIN tanks?

I just hate getting out by the outer Boston or Salem Islands and having to call it a day short because I don't have any more air. Thats why I always bring 2 80's and a steel 120. Kinda wish I had 3 120's, but after a point you'll get either too tired or bent if you dive more than that in a day. But my point is if you are going to be boat diving get big tanks.
Shore diving is usually shallower and less comittment of time and money than boat diving, and there is more lugging, so smaller tanks may make more sense.

John C.

jchaplain:
I think a thing to consider is that if you are going to take ALL that time and money to get out on a boat to where you are going, why not have BIG FREEKIN tanks?

I just hate getting out by the outer Boston or Salem Islands and having to call it a day short because I don't have any more air. Thats why I always bring 2 80's and a steel 120. Kinda wish I had 3 120's, but after a point you'll get either too tired or bent if you dive more than that in a day. But my point is if you are going to be boat diving get big tanks.
Shore diving is usually shallower and less comittment of time and money than boat diving, and there is more lugging, so smaller tanks may make more sense.

John C.

Why? Because you usually don't need the extra gas. On any >100' dives, I'm NDL limited, not gas limited (and that's with 85cf). Much shallower, and I'm cold limited (even in a dry suit with dry gloves, I don't want to be in the water for more than an hour Nov-Apr). Not saying to get small cylinders, but "BIG FREEKIN" ones just don't add anything to the dives I'm currently doing. If you want to step up to tech, fine, get double 130s.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom