Tank decision; depth/cold of chartered dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bretagus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey everybody,
I started diving up here last summer, only doing shore dives around Cape Ann. I'm going to be purchasing some tanks pretty soon, so I'm trying to figure out just how much tank I'll need. Already decided on steel. I know what to expect with shore dives, so I guess I have a few questions about chartered dives...

What is the depth range of the "popular" charterboat sites... I'm certain there's a site for every depth, but on any given weekend, whats the standard depth? If I do a chartered dive, it would only be once or twice a season, so I'd want to hit the "must-do-this-dive" places.

Secondly, can you expect to dive to the NDL at that depth w/o freezing in a 7mm? Personally, I found my arms would get pretty cold after 40-50 minutes on a shoredive with a max depth around 40-50ft.

Basically, I'm deciding between an 80 or a 100. The Al80 suited me fine last season for shore diving... but its the chartered dives I'm unsure about. The 100 is ~$70 more, 5-6lbs heavier and a few inches longer. Weight is a concern as my female dive buddy was complaining about lugging an Al80, so the 100 would be even heavier (if only by a few pounds). The 100, however, would give an extra 10-15min BT in the 50-80ft range... but I'd only be diving to that depth once or twice a season (if that).

Any and all opinions welcome! Thanks in advance

Bretagus:
Hey everybody,
I started diving up here last summer, only doing shore dives around Cape Ann. I'm going to be purchasing some tanks pretty soon, so I'm trying to figure out just how much tank I'll need. Already decided on steel. I know what to expect with shore dives, so I guess I have a few questions about chartered dives...

What is the depth range of the "popular" charterboat sites... I'm certain there's a site for every depth, but on any given weekend, whats the standard depth? If I do a chartered dive, it would only be once or twice a season, so I'd want to hit the "must-do-this-dive" places.

Secondly, can you expect to dive to the NDL at that depth w/o freezing in a 7mm? Personally, I found my arms would get pretty cold after 40-50 minutes on a shoredive with a max depth around 40-50ft.

Basically, I'm deciding between an 80 or a 100. The Al80 suited me fine last season for shore diving... but its the chartered dives I'm unsure about. The 100 is ~$70 more, 5-6lbs heavier and a few inches longer. Weight is a concern as my female dive buddy was complaining about lugging an Al80, so the 100 would be even heavier (if only by a few pounds). The 100, however, would give an extra 10-15min BT in the 50-80ft range... but I'd only be diving to that depth once or twice a season (if that).

Any and all opinions welcome! Thanks in advance

I would vote for the 100. More gas is always better, and you can take a few extra pounds off your weight belt.

Definitly 100 CF tanks ideally for steel also. You'll take weight off your belt and an extra factor of safety for you and your buddy. They'll last a lifetime if treated well and could take more punishment on the rocky shore dives. When I fell flat on my back at Bevertail on the rocks Im glad I was using steel as the clang was quite loud. At least I think steel tanks are tougher on the rocks than aluminum.

Bretagus:
Weight is a concern as my female dive buddy was complaining about lugging an Al80, so the 100 would be even heavier (if only by a few pounds).

Just carry your own tanks and she won't have to worry about it. :D

Seriously though, the 3442 PSI 100 steel tanks like the Worthingtons or PST models are slightly heavier than an AL80 but they also are smaller and displace less water than an AL80 so the difference in buoyancy is larger than the difference in the weight of the tanks. That means the amount of weight you lose off your belt is greater than the added weight of the tank and therefore your whole rig will be lighter with the steel.

I am sure that your girlfriend is younger and more spry than I am... I made the decision to go to steel 100 for my dive partner and myself. We do shore dives as well as boat dives here in the NE with dry suits and pony's so I understand how hard it can be. But a steel tank adds nothing to the difficulty factor. The weather (heat), the difficulty of the entry are the things that can make for a tough day. On a boat it makes no difference except for getting back on the boat. But by then she will be a few pounds lighter so no issue,
1) Bouyancy characteristics. The al 80 are about 6-8 positive when close to empty at the end of a dive. Steels are still neutral. You need to start out with an awful lot more weight to be able to hold a safety stop with an almost empty tank.
2) you need to carry less weight with steel tanks. The are inherenty negative when filled.
3) my steel tanks are shorter than my al80

We also dive in Cape Anne. Go out with Fran Marceaux (sp) on the Daybreaker. He is wonderful and will help you get started.
There are several deep dives that are a lot of fun ! njoy.

Is there any reason not to go with the HP119? It's the same price, same length, and only three-quarters inch more diameter-- and there is 20% more air.

I have both steel hp80 and hp100 tanks and much prefer the 100's. I prefer the in-water characteristics of the 100, both bouyancy and the trim, over the 80. The added gas is nice too. The other thing that i prefer about the 100 is that if you get a short fill, you usually still have more than 80cf of gas. There definitely is a weight difference between the tanks, but in my opinion it is a worthwhile trade-off and hopefully your buddy will appreciate the benefits of the larger tank. Another benefit that has been mentioned above, is that you will be able to take several pounds off of your belt using a steel 100 over an al80. You and your buddy will probably notice and enjoy this weight difference (when you are all geared up) more than you will dislike the added weight of the tank in transit. Good luck with your decisions.
(PS... i think that pg dive has hp80 and hp100 for rent if you ask ahead of time. Also i think they are running a sale until 4/28 on worthington x7 hp tanks. Check it out. www.pgdive.com)

Most people are going to get cold diving in a wetsiut where you live. Do you wear a good heavy hood and gloves ?
The only real cure is to use a dry suit. Until you are ready to make that commitment, don't dive until you are chilled (your girlfriend probably get cold faster). There is nothing wrong with making your dives a bit shorter. Wearing a woolen cap in between dives is another trick.

Nudgeroni:
Is there any reason not to go with the HP119? It's the same price, same length, and only three-quarters inch more diameter-- and there is 20% more air.

Bingo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom