Tank pressure conversion - how to?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mislav

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm curious how to convert tank pressure from metric to imperial and back?

If I wish to explain how much air I have left in my tank, but my gauge is metric and the person I speak to uses imperial - how do I convert my xx bar to xx psi? And vice versa, of course.

There must be some equation to do this accurately...

Mislav,

You are corect: use 15 psi to approximate 1 bar
A few gauges here are imperial, most are fortunately metric.
I use these approximations:
200 bar = 3000 psi
100 bar = 1500 psi
50 bar (low on air, red / caution zone on most guages) = 750 psi

Regards,

vmf

Or another solution....buy an SPG with both PSI and BAR

Heck, I never worry about it... metric or imperial, zero is zero... so I just don't let it get to that! :wink:

mislav:
There must be some equation to do this accurately...
EASY is more important than ACCURATE. :)

For the common 3000psi/207 bar aluminum 80 commonly found at tropical resorts, I find the following conversions are reasonably easy to remember, and have sufficient accuracy:

Full tank = 3000 psi = 200 bar
Half tank = 1500 psi = 100 bar
1000psi = 70 bar
500 psi = 35 bar

---------------

Typically, when you signal pressure in bar, you really just signal 10's of bar. Similarly when signalling pressure in psi you really just signal 100's of psi.

100 bar = 1500 psi --- the "10" you would signal in metric becomes "15" hundreds.

I've used both metric and imperial, and as you can see from the posts above the conversions are quite simple. When I was diving metric in my travels, DM's generally asked us to be ascending to our stop or back on the boat by 50 bar (750 psi) rather than the 500 psi guidelines here.

This brings up an interesting question (for me). Due to the smaller units involved, are metric gauges more "precise" than imperial. My guess is not, but it might be easier to read smaller units.

drbill:
This brings up an interesting question (for me). Due to the smaller units involved, are metric gauges more "precise" than imperial. My guess is not, but it might be easier to read smaller units.
Looking at an OMS pressure gauge available in psi and bar, you can see that the minor markings are at intervals of 100 psi and 10 bar, respectively. The major markings are at 500 psi (with numeric labels each 1000 psi) and 50 bar.

The marking ratio, then, is the ratio of 100 psi to 10 bar. As 10 bar equals 145 psi, you end up with approximately three marks on the psi SPG for every two marks on the bar SPG. The SPG reading in psi will therefore give you more precise increments than the SPG reading in bar.

(Incidentally, the SPG labelled in bar has markings up through 450 bar, or approximately 6500 psi. The SPG labelled in psi is marked only through 5000 psi. Oddly enough, the limit stop on the bar SPG appears to be at about 410 bar, or 6000 psi, which makes the fact the scale reads to 450 bar rather extraneous, wouldn't you say.)

One last note: On the psi SPG, there are approximately 3100 psi per 180 degrees of needle sweep. On the bar SPG, there are approximately 300 bar (or 4350 psi) in 180 degrees of needle sweep. That amounts to 17.2 psi per degree in the psi SPG and 24.2 psi per degree in the bar SPG. In other words, for each hundred psi, the needle in the psi SPG will move 5.8 degrees, while for each hundred psi, the needle in the bar SPG will move about 4.1 degrees. It is therefore easier to measure (and see) the greater motion of the psi SPG than the lesser motion of the bar SPG.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom