Tank Valves Tightness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gnulab

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

How tight does a tank valve need to be screwed into the tank?

For 2nd stage screwed into 1st stage, I was taught to screw it in by hand first. Once it can't go any further, use a spanner to give it a final tug. The tug is a slight tug. The principle (again, was told) behind this reasoning is that the o-ring is what that seal the component.

So, for tank valve, could I use the same advice? Or, I have to screw it real tight using a spanner?

Thanks
Henry

Not much more than hand tight works as it is the oring that does the sealing. Usually I can get all of the valves on my cylinders off with thump with the palm of my hand.

Never tighten a cylinder valve with anything except your hand, that's one hand. See Scared Silly's post. The pressure in the cylinder will bind the valve tight in the cylinder threads when filled.

Hi,

How tight does a tank valve need to be screwed into the tank?

For 2nd stage screwed into 1st stage, I was taught to screw it in by hand first. Once it can't go any further, use a spanner to give it a final tug. The tug is a slight tug. The principle (again, was told) behind this reasoning is that the o-ring is what that seal the component.

So, for tank valve, could I use the same advice? Or, I have to screw it real tight using a spanner?

Thanks
Henry

Just O2 cleaned three tanks. A little O2 lube on the threads and on assembly I usually give the valves 2 or 3 good raps with my fist. Never had a problem with taking apart, seizing up, an o-ring coming out or the valve moving. I've seen shops tap the valves with a mallet. I've just never seen the need.

Each cylinder manufacturer has a different specification for cylinder valve torque.

Generally, most torque specifications fall between 40 and 75 foot-pounds of torque.

For instance, XS Scuba recommends that the valves on their cylinders be torqued to 50 to 75 foot-pounds.

Luxfer recommends 50 foot-pounds.

Catalina recommends 40-50 foot-pounds.

Some of the larger storage cylinders - like the HC-4500's - are torqued to 180 to 200 foot-pounds.

I found that 50 foot-pounds is just slightly more than I can tighten a valve by hand. Thus, to properly torque valves, you need some sort of cylinder holder and a torque wrench.

I made a jig that holds cylinders tightly, from my little 14-cubic foot pony bottles to my giant HC-4500s. In order to torque a variety of valves, I use a 1/2-inch digital torque wrench and crow's foot wrenches.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom