Tape for Camera Flash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingLonghorn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am using a SeaLife Digital Flash (SL960D) with a non-SeaLife camera. So I will have to tape the fiber optic sync cable over the camera flash. With the strobe, I received 4 “rubber” adhesive patches that work well, but there are only 4. I was wondering what other types of adhesive will work that are waterproof. Will PVC tape suffice?

Thanks.

Been reading about the Sealife SL960D strobe and am considering buying it. The price is certainly right. There are quite a few threads here asking about it, but so far I haven't seen posts from anyone who's actually used it. So I'm wondering if you've tried out yours, and if so how you like it. Please help satisfy my curiosity about this unit!

Thanks,

Rick

DivingLonghorn:
I am using a SeaLife Digital Flash (SL960D) with a non-SeaLife camera. So I will have to tape the fiber optic sync cable over the camera flash. With the strobe, I received 4 “rubber” adhesive patches that work well, but there are only 4. I was wondering what other types of adhesive will work that are waterproof. Will PVC tape suffice?

Thanks.
I have the SL 960D and a non-Sea-Life camera in a housing and have the same issues you speak of. What about making a holder for the optical cable like the ones used for Sea-Life cameras. I am thinking about taking a piece of material, either plastic or metal, and drilling a hole in it so it can be placed under the tripod mount on the camera housing and on top of the flash base and have it bend up so it comes in front of the flash port or difuser on the housing.

Then permanently attach the cable to the piece in a manner like the Sea-Life cameras do with the supplied holder strip that you stick the cable into. Even without the supplied holder strip you could epoxy, tape, or velcro the cable to the piece so the open end of the cable is illuminated by the internal flash and trigger the strobe. I have looked to see if you can buy one of the devices supplied with the Sea-Life cameras and modify it to work for other cameras, but haven't found it yet so I am going to try to make one as described above. With this set-up you can remove the housing without having to break the attachment point of the cable if you want to use the camera without the strobe. If anyone follows me on this, let me know your thoughts or if anyone has tried something similar.

Thanks,
Steve

You might want to look at using an Inon fiber holder (cap) that matches your camera (if there is one). Unless the fiber is considerbly larger than the Inon fiber (you could drill out the holder a little if it is) it should work nicely. The holders are in the $40 range. Or, you could make one your self. Here is a link to Inon.
http://inonamerica.com/products.php?prodcat=4&subcat=1&pagenum=2

I just got an e-mail reply from Karl, a technican from SeaLife. He says they are working on a velcro type of universal mounting for the their strobes to work with non-SeaLife cameras, it may be out soon.

I use the 960D with an Oly SP350 and PT 030 housing. Black waterproof electrical tape has been the best for me so far. In addition to holding the sensor, it blacks out the internal flash reducing most of the backscatter.

Regards,

Cudabait,

The tape doesn't get sticky and gross? Most of my experience with elec tape is on hot stage lights which melt the adhesive into a nasty goo but I would assume something similar for taking elec tape into the water.

Thanks for the thread, I just got my strobe yesterday (yay) and am going to try it as a slave before going with the F/O cable but I still need to block out the internal flash.

thanks

You can buy aluminum and 1/4-20 stainless steel screws at most hardware stores. Fashioning an arm held on with the tripod mount socket is perhaps the best solution. Below is a link to a rig I made, recntly posted in "tips & techniques".

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=148310

Electrical tape, duct tape, gaffers tape (photography stores) or cloth tape should all up hold in water. I would remove the tape from the housing after use since the adhesive could effect the plastic with long term. It could also get sticky at high temperatures. Low solvent oils (eg: kerosene, mineral oil) can disolve leftover tape adhesives while not damaging plastic.

Most hardware stores carry rubber stoppers and velcro tape. Drill a hole in an appropriately sized stopper for the fiber optic. Apply velcro, with a hole in it, to the housing and stopper. This gives you both the shade and a cable mount.

Finally, fiber optic cable is available from American Science & Surplus in Chicago, IL. You can make your own fiber optic light pipe.

http://www.sciplus.com/about.cfm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom