Taxi Fare ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sue Sue...........since both are within the "downtown" limits (11th being the southern boundary) it should be 25 pesos......you originally asked about Mega TO La Choza so I'm not sure if the taxista stand at Mega ups the rate, but all you'd need to do is go out to the street and hail one. Hope that helps.

Yes Betsy, that helps , thankyou. I like to have an idea of what the taxi fare is before I walk up to a cab. Then for instance in the case of going to Mega I simply say "25 peso to Mega ?". If I get a yes, I'm good to go. If not, I move on to the next cab. I also understand and don't mind paying a small premium from Mega, only fair for the convenience. Thanks again for the info.

Sue

Know the rate, pay and then walk. What's to discuss?

Read up a bit on what some taxi drivers from Solidaridad (Playa del Carmen) and Tulum got up to over fares not long ago.

Even if I were completely certain about the correct fare, I would NOT just hand over money and try to walk away, especially if a taxista picked me up at my house or dropped me off there. This is one of those areas where being in the right is not necessarily the most useful thing.

Read up a bit on what some taxi drivers from Solidaridad (Playa del Carmen) and Tulum got up to over fares not long ago.

Even if I were completely certain about the correct fare, I would NOT just hand over money and try to walk away, especially if a taxista picked me up at my house or dropped me off there. This is one of those areas where being in the right is not necessarily the most useful thing.

Yes, I'm aware of the "incident(s)".

It was not about individual fares though, as you have implied. It was about the territory of the two syndicates.

I also think there is a term, is there not, regarding individual behavior, and individual behavior in a crowd?

If you want to allow yourself to be cheated because you're afraid, be my guest. I choose not to.

As long as we're on the subject though, what is the relative risk to people and property, when you're being honest, and simply demanding the same in return?

I will submit; very small. A risk that I would take, and advise others to take.

If you want to allow yourself to be cheated because you're afraid, be my guest. I choose not to.
It's not that simple; there is the matter of what fights one chooses to take on. I'm not going to the mat with a taxi driver over a dollar.

Overall, it is in the best interest of the taxi drivers for the general public to NOT have access to the standard ..and correct.. fares. This way they can hike up the fees to unsuspecting tourists and make quite a bit of extra cash. And you know, they are out there making a living like we all do. If the system works for them, then, good, so be it.

But, if you know what the rate is before getting into the cab they may not push the issue. You TELL the cab driver what the rate is before getting in with confidence, they understand you have knowledge of the rates, they agree, you get in the cab and ride, you pay, you get out. Simple . If they push the issue and want to overcharge after you have stated the published and fair rate, then, no worries, you either pay or say "No thankyou" and move on to the next cab.

However, if it comes to an incident over a buck or two, I also will not push it past trying to stand up for what is fair. Yes, I will have been cheated...not the first, nor the last, unfortunately this is the world as we know it, but, overall, not worth a fight, in Mexico, ... my vacation time is worth so much more.

So, if we can not obtain a published list of taxi fares from the powers that be, we can at least post rates here of frequently used fares to share with fellow Scubaboarders. Feel free to copy/paste/correct/update

Taxi Fares:

Central Plaza TO Mega 25 peso/ XX USD
Central Plaza TO/From El Cid,Casa Del Mar 80 peso/$6.00 USD
Central Plaza TO/From Caleta XX peso/$9.00 USD

I haven't had any luck yet!

One correction though - the base fare is $30 pesos within a zone now - so expect $30 pesos from Mega to La Choza - and I believe there is a 5 peso surcharge for getting in AT Mega - same goes for Punta Langosta or any of the taxi bases.

Also, don't assume the dollar rate will be with the real exchange rate - they can set whatever exchange rate they want to - so you can't really argue with them over what the exchange rate SHOULD be either - they are still using 10:1 - as wrong as it is - that's what it is - so I always say DEFINITELY use pesos to pay taxi fares in order to get the "real" rate.

I'll continue trying, but I am a little busy this week - so it won't be a priority - sorry!

Thanks so much Christi, you are a very busy lady for sure. 3 cheers for staying on this :yelclap::yelclap::yelclap:,

List of frequently used fares to share with fellow Scubaboarders to give us an idea of what to expect. Feel free to copy/paste/correct/update

Taxi Fares: (Unofficial, but used by experienced Scubaboarders)

Central Plaza TO Mega 30 peso/ $3.00
Mega TO Central Plaza 35 peso/$3.50
Central Plaza TO/From El Cid,Casa Del Mar 80 peso/$6.00-$8.00 USD
Central Plaza TO/From Caleta 90 peso/$9.00 USD

-Expect 10-1 Peso/USD conversion
-Use Peso for taxi fares for best rate
-Add 5 peso to rate when picked up at any Taxi base ie: Mega, Chedruai, Punta Langosta, Melgar, Senor Frogs, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much Christi, you are a very busy lady for sure. 3 cheers for staying on this :yelclap::yelclap::yelclap:,

List of frequently used fares to share with fellow Scubaboarders to give us an idea of what to expect. Feel free to copy/paste/correct/update

Taxi Fares: (Unofficial, but used by experienced Scubaboarders)

Mega TO Central Plaza 35 peso/$3.50

-Add 5 peso to rate when picked up at any Taxi base ie: Mega, Chedruai, Punta Langosta, Melgar, Senor Frogs, etc.

Adding to this from my visit May 4-15 (single person rate):

Between Blue Angel and Mega or the square - 70 pesos
Between Blue Angel and Chedraui or the ATM's across the street from Prima - 60 pesos

Exchange rate was 10:1, but I always paid in pesos.

FWIW, I never encountered a 5 peso surcharge; all the fares I paid were multiples of 10 pesos.

List of frequently used Taxi Fares: (Unofficial, but used by experienced Scubaboarders)

Feel free to copy/paste/correct/update

Mega TO Central Plaza 35-40 peso/$3.50-$4.00
Blue Angel Resort TO Mega/Plaza 70 peso/$7.00 USD
Blue Angel Resort TO Chedraui/ATM across from Prima 60 peso/$6.00

-Add 5-10 peso to rate when picked up at any Taxi base ie: Mega, Chedruai, Punta Langosta, Melgar, Senor Frogs, etc.

Back
Top Bottom