Teaching contradictions: differing dive training philosophies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Cobra and my VT3 would record multiple dives as I surfaced with students. I haven't had to deal with this issue on my new Suunto, so it might have changed.

There is a difference in an Instructor diving in accordance with a particular decompression computer (if it registers all ascents/desents as a separate dive) and stating that other Instructors are showing a "bad example" by following the decompression tables, or a computer that doesn't record dives in the same way as yours apparently does. I find it unusual that NASE sanctions the instruction of using decompression tables, but you appear not to have an understanding of how they are to be used.

I teach the tables and supplement this training with decompression computer operation. I also attempt to discuss the various tables available and their degrees of conservatism. Moreover, how this conservatism may be varied by elective selection in some computers.

and stating that other Instructors are showing a "bad example" by following the decompression tables,
Let's stick to the facts. I have never stated this nor do I believe it. This is YOUR invention that the tables were created around doing these yo-yo dives. I don't think you've presented any evidence other than your "feelings" that they were intended to cover such a diving anomaly.

My premise is that we should be setting a great example for our students at all times in order to avoid confusion or to send conflicting messages. In that respect, since I don't want my students kneeling on the bottom or doing yo-yo dives, I refrain from doing them. Yes, I think it's a bad example for an instructor to set and that their students will follow their example, often when they are away from their instructor. If this offends your delicate sensitivities, then toughie kaboombas. In addition to being a poor example, it's my belief that yo-yo dives put instructors at a greater risk for all sorts of injuries. Unfortunately, I have met a number of instructors who have stopped teaching completely or have modified their instruction to accommodate injuries incurred while doing these yo-yo dives. I get that you want to redefine the discussion in order to save face or win, even to wishing harm to my students, flaming me and inferring words to me that I never posted. Unfortunately (#2), the constant misdirection about what I am claiming as well as the incessant red herrings only serve to muddy the discussion. While this very well might be your goal, I find the manner in which you prosecute your POV to be less than admirable.

So, what do you really disagree with here? Here are the arguments for kneeling and doing yo-yo dives that I have gleaned from this discussion. Please comment on whether you agree with each of these premises and present "solid scientific evidence" either way. I believe this will serve to clarify what you actually believe.

1. Instructors should not worry about setting a great example.
  2. Students can not or will not imitate their instructor's behaviors during class.
  3. Kneeling during class does not result in divers kneeling after class.
  4. Scuba can not be taught adequately without kneeling.
  5. Neutral buoyancy and great trim are not achievable during an average Scuba class.
  6. Yo-yo dives are fun and an acceptable way for the average Joe to dive.
  7. The tables were specifically designed to accommodate multiple yo-yo dives. Please cite the study(ies) on this.
  8. Doing CESAs vertically are far more important than developing the skills to avoid having to do them altogether.
  9. Studies have shown that during class, vertical CESAs are better than horizontal CESAs. Please cite the study(ies) on this.
  10. Instructors have never ever been harmed doing multiple vertical CESAs.

Let's stick to the facts.
Yes, let's. To start off with, IIRC, you are the one who started defending the "not on the knees approach" without anyone else claiming the opposite. Maybe someone else mentioned it first, but I don't remember it. The main focus of this thread was CESA until you changed the topic. You know very well that I don't teach that way. You know very well that I put together a coalition of instructors who wrote an article on this for the PADI professional journal.

There has been a lot of silly gobbledygook in this thread, so I would like to take your list and cut to the chase. Let's look at your list and discard the red herrings.
  1. Instructors should not worry about setting a great example.
Agreed. Instructors should set a good example. My students rarely see me touch the bottom. I am in horizontal trim throughout the dive. Who has said the opposite?
  • Students can not or will not imitate their instructor's behaviors during class.
Students will imitate an instructor to the greatest degree possible, but they can tell the difference between what an instructor must do in performance of an instructional task and what an instructor will do when not performing that task. If you say something like, "Of course, we will not be doing this sort of thing when we dive," all of the students with IQs above 36 will understand.
  • Kneeling during class does not result in divers kneeling after class.
  • Scuba can not be taught adequately without kneeling.
  • Neutral buoyancy and great trim are not achievable during an average Scuba class.
Agreed. Students should not be taught skills while kneeling, and if you focus on buoyancy throughout the class, students will have surprisingly good buoyancy skills by the end of the CW experience. Who is arguing otherwise?
  1. Yo-yo dives are fun and an acceptable way for the average Joe to dive.
Nobody has said that.
  1. The tables were specifically designed to accommodate multiple yo-yo dives. Please cite the study(ies) on this.
I missed it where this argument was made as well.
  1. Doing CESAs vertically are far more important than developing the skills to avoid having to do them altogether.
Nobody said that. A number of days ago I expressed my extreme frustration with the way you are arguing. I will repeat it. It is infuriating to have you continually make up arguments that no one has expressed so that you can refute those non-existing arguments and make yourself look brilliant in comparison.
  1. Studies have shown that during class, vertical CESAs are better than horizontal CESAs. Please cite the study(ies) on this.
Again, no one said anything about such studies. What has been cited instead is how teaching horizontal CESAs violates critical teaching concepts. You have not said anything to refute that. You have also been asked to cite studies to support your claim that doing a couple of CESAs during a dive is harmful to the instructor. You have not provided any. A number of days ago you said an expert from DAN was gong to appear in the thread to set us all straight, but so far that expert has not made an appearance.
  1. Instructors have never ever been harmed doing multiple vertical CESAs.
This is downright silly. No one can prove that. In terms of logic, when you are the one making the new claim that instructors are harmed doing CESAs, it is up to you to prove that claim. It is similar to the Onion's mock theory of Intelligent Falling. If you are claiming that there is no such thing as gravity and that things come back to Earth because God pushes them back down again, it is up to you to support that claim. It is not up to everyone else to prove that it has never happened.

Based on the examples exhibited by the instructors participating in this thread I'd much rather take a class from boulderjohn than NetDoc. You guys should call a truce to all this arguing. I really don't see it benefiting anyone at this point.

Reactions: -hh
Let's stick to the facts. I have never stated this nor do I believe it. This is YOUR invention that the tables were created around doing these yo-yo dives. I don't think you've presented any evidence other than your "feelings" that they were intended to cover such a diving anomaly.

Post 129 includes how various tables consider repetitive ascents/descents conducted within a single dive. Moreover, I've communicated that decompression table development has taken such scenarios into consideration and this has been reflected in the rules that have been established by the authorities. Perhaps you might re-address this by opening a diving textbook and reading the rules outlined. In-particular, what constitutes one dive and how multiple ascents/decents are to be treated. You will find the evidence that you have up until now overlooked.

Please comment on whether you agree with each of these premises and present "solid scientific evidence" either way. I believe this will serve to clarify what you actually believe.

1. Instructors should not worry about setting a great example. 2. Students can not or will not imitate their instructor's behaviors during class.

Instructors should encourage students to dive within their ability and diving safety envelope. They should also be made aware that what is safe practice is based upon their training and experience. Some divers are capable of doing dives that exceed the level of training of other divers. Students should follow the policies and protocols of their training program.

3. Kneeling during class does not result in divers kneeling after class. 4. Scuba can not be taught adequately without kneeling. 5. Neutral buoyancy and great trim are not achievable during an average Scuba class.

The foundation of this question is based upon a personal choice of yours, which is that it's improper for a diver to kneel on the bottom. Any Instructor who teaches in this way is setting a "bad example." This may be your choice, but that doesn't make it a "bad example." I would rather put it into context for the student. Standing/kneeling on the bottom may create poor visibility caused by silt and debris. This isn't something that enhances the diving experience. Kneeling on coral damages the environment.

I personally don't want the students using the bottom for a crutch. My aim is for them to develop good 'buoyancy skills.' Because of this I want them to select the depth and establish neutral buoyancy from the beginning. The bottom is used during some exercises, such as station breathing and doff and don (after they have demonstrated a satisfactory level of buoyancy control). My approach is that Students have the capacity to think for themselves. I try to explain why I say or do something in a particular way.

6. Yo-yo dives are fun and an acceptable way for the average Joe to dive. 7. The tables were specifically designed to accommodate multiple yo-yo dives. Please cite the study(ies) on this.

I want my students to be able to create a decompression solution regardless if the batteries in their PDC function or not. I teach the tables to the letter. My student understand the rules that have been created by the table authorities and they apply them as intended. If during a dive something is dropped and collected, I teach how to deal with the scenario. No one has committed any grievous error, nor do they expect to necessarily leave it on a shallow bottom or have to die in the recovery. They go down and get it if they have the gas to do the decent together and that no breach of the decompression tables will occur. They know the rules and they're taught not to break them. I don't tell them "person rules" that can't be substantiated.

As to the Tables:

The evolution of how the U.S. Navy Decompression Tables is available on-line at: STANDARD AIR DECOMPRESSION TABLE.. You can see for yourself how the decompressions solutions were calculation (including the definitions of bottom time and repetitive dive).

The DCIEM Tables (Air) were based upon the Kid-Stubbs model (which was created in 1962) and applied to the USN table considering multi-level and repetitive dives. The approach was to dive the model and when symptoms of DCS occurred, to change the parameters of the model making it more conservative. They went through several variations of the model, improving the safety after each iteration. The revelation at that time was that the human body was better represented by a series arrangement of tissues.

By 1967, over 5,000 experimental dives had been conducted to validate the K-S model. In 1971, the K-S decompression model was approved in Canada as a safer alternative to the U.S. Navy tables. Subsequent to my involvement at DCIEM in 1972, we initiated a critical re-evaluation of the K-S model using digital computers to control various scenarios (including yo-yo dives) and utilizing specially-designed Doppler ultrasonic bubble detectors to evaluate the severity of the dive profiles. Thousands of verification diving and improvements of the theory were performed and the dive table for air diving was released in 1992. The current theory is based upon this dive table. The project plan is still restricted, so this documentation isn't available to the general public.

8. Doing CESAs vertically are far more important than developing the skills to avoid having to do them altogether.

Of course not; but one doesn't exclude the other. CESA is a last resort that can make the difference in a diver safely making the surface or not.

9. Studies have shown that during class, vertical CESAs are better than horizontal CESAs. Please cite the study(ies) on this.

This is subject to the opinion of the Instructor teaching the skill and the recommended practice of the certification agency that must be followed. "A BAD EXAMPLE" would constitute teaching in a manner that is not supported by the certification agency, or would be otherwise contrary to the best interests and safety of the student.

Personally I teach CESA vertically because I believe that it's in the best interests of the student if it's taught properly. In a recent DAN report (Alert Diver) "an analysis of 964 diving fatalities found that emergency ascents were involved in 30 percent of cases — 288 to be exact. In 189 of these emergency ascents involved a rapid ascent (faster than 60 FPM)."

How can an Instructor test a student's ability to ascend at a safe rate during a CESA if this is being undertaken horizontally??? Seems like the Instructor isn't confident in the student's ability to begin with. I'd question if the student requires more training before going to open water. And to think that some Instructors believe that this diver has demonstrated 'mastery' and is ready to be certified.... :)

10. Instructors have never ever been harmed doing multiple vertical CESAs.

None that I'm aware of, but I welcome your scientific evidence (should you presume that this is not the case).

My premise is that we should be setting a great example for our students at all times in order to avoid confusion or to send conflicting messages. In that respect, since I don't want my students kneeling on the bottom or doing yo-yo dives, I refrain from doing them. Yes, I think it's a bad example for an instructor to set and that their students will follow their example, often when they are away from their instructor.

You claim this to be a bad example. Perhaps you can substantiate your opinion. What proof do you have that this is an unsafe practice? Perhaps you can cite one case where "bubble pumping" has been attributed as the cause of any injury in 60 FSW or less! Is it common practice for you to formulate an opinion based on nothing, or is it permissible for you to criticize others as showing a "bad example" based solely on your mood or feeling??? Now that I've answered your little quiz, perhaps you will substantiate the science that your opinion is based. This should be good....

Instructors should encourage students to dive within their ability and diving safety envelope.
Edited for brevity and I do agree with this statement.

So, for a synopsis... on questions #1 and #2, you did not directly answer the question. While I am not surprised, I guess we can assume that you feel that either it's OK for instructors to set a bad example or that you feel kneeling is just fine and dandy in some circumstances.

On questions #3, #4 and #5, again to our complete non-surprise there is no definitive answer. That being said, all of my student's skills done on Scuba, including doff and don, are done mid water without touching the bottom.

On questions #6 and #7, a bit better, but you still failed to either agree or disagree with the premise. You have cited some anecdotal evidence but have not produced the study(ies) requested for the yo-yo dives. FWIW, give us the number, and actual profiles of the yo-yo dives. Did they consist of a single or multiple instances of ascent/redescent?

On question #8, while you still don't give a direct answer your indirect answer states that you are only going on your feelings. There is no study that we know of that suggests that a vertical CESA is superior to a horizontal CESA.

On question #9, you know of none, I know of at least a half dozen.

Yes, let's. To start off with, IIRC, you are the one who started defending the "not on the knees approach" without anyone else claiming the opposite.
Let's read the first few sentences of the OP, shall we?
Unfortunately, our training has been at best, contradictory. Students are taught to never do bounce dives and yet instructors do multiple bounce dives right in front of them when they do CESAs. Students are taught to stay off the reef, except during training when kneeling is just fine. I could go on with the number of contradictions that are part and parcel of scuba instruction, but you know what I am talking about. Instructors often portray themselves as being above the rules because that's just what they have to do when they teach. It's wrong and it's down right confusing for the students.
The idea that both yo-yo dives and kneeling are bad examples was from the very start of the discussion. While others have tried to focus it ONLY on CESAs, I clearly set the parameters of the discussion from the start: Setting a good example.

Also, if you missed a number of these premises, it might be that you weren't the one making them. I pulled them from a number of different posts and then directed them right to DCBC. A reading of the thread will show where these were made.

As for number nine, while you can't prove a negative, I have indeed met instructors who have been hurt and even named one of them. As for Dr Bird, I clearly stated that he would chime in as he had time and inclination: no promises were given.

Based on the examples exhibited by the instructors participating in this thread I'd much rather take a class from boulderjohn than NetDoc.
I am certain John is a far better instructor than I am and you should learn from someone you feel comfortable with. We might disagree on this, but that does not make him a "bad instructor" in my book. I can't tell you how he feels about me but in the end that will have no impact on how I teach.

For those who have tired of the conversation, please click here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/subscription.php?do=removesubscription&t=440777 You don't have to follow it any further.

Last edited:
padi instructors have to teach cesa horizontal in the pool .
thats the way it is.
multiple vertical cesa in the sea do cause problems for instructors.

before you can walk you crawl.

that is just the way it is.

no way you can do skills neutral bouyant with less than 4 open water dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom