Teaching LD - Autism

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Make sure you check out IAHD-Americas and their programs. They are very active in this field and have a lot of resources to draw upon.

On which of the items on the medical form would one write "Yes" to indicate autism?

The closest one is
Behavioral health, mental or psychological problems (Panic attack, fear of closed or open spaces)?
I would argue that autism is not contained in that category.

If not that category, which one would fit?

I tell people to read the items carefully and don't put a "yes" down for something for which it is not intended. We have had threads on ScubaBoard in which people have complained that they have to reveal that they once had surgery or a fracture, when the actual wording only calls for "back, arm, or leg problems following" such an event. Similarly, the form asks for "recurrent ear problems," not if you have ever had an ear infection.

Every student with autism spectrum disorder will vary, depending upon their place on the spectrum...

Yea pretty much. I did my OW course before I was even diagnosed with Asperger's... I would suggest if someone says they have a child with an autism spectrum disorder that you meet with them first to assess their level of disability, as they may not be disabled at all by their autism. I certainly do not consider myself disabled and would be annoyed if I was considered so for a scuba class. It's a spectrum disorder so it will really depend where someone is on the spectrum. I have seen two people, much more autistic than me though, dive independently (well in a buddy pair with a friend or family member).

On which of the items on the medical form would one write "Yes" to indicate autism?

The closest one is "Behavioral health, mental or psychological problems (Panic attack, fear of closed or open spaces)?"

That is the closest one I see and I always put 'No' myself. So really I have given no indication to any instructor or dive operator that I am autistic, it's really irrelevant to my diving. But not everyone would find it irrelevant and that would probably be the most appropriate question to put 'Yes' to.

The closest one is

I tell people to read the items carefully and don't put a "yes" down for something for which it is not intended. We have had threads on ScubaBoard in which people have complained that they have to reveal that they once had surgery or a fracture, when the actual wording only calls for "back, arm, or leg problems following" such an event. Similarly, the form asks for "recurrent ear problems," not if you have ever had an ear infection.

It really depends if a comma is between behavioral and health...

Also the DSM V will list autism spectrum disorder, the diagnosis will differentiate based upon severity with criteria forthcoming.

This means that it is a behavioral health disorder.

If the comma is between behavioral and health autism spectrum disorder only need be mentioned if it resolves behaviorally.

The front page of the medical form is not the only place to go for an explanation. The subsequent pages explain things. The explanation for behavioral health shows a lot of room for judgment. Autism is not mentioned by name.
BEHAVIORAL HEALTH
Behavioral: The diver’s mental capacity and emotional make-up
are important to safe diving. The student diver must have sufficient
learning abilities to grasp information presented to him by
his instructors, be able to safely plan and execute his own dives
and react to changes around him in the underwater environment.
The student’s motivation to learn and his ability to deal with
potentially dangerous situations are also crucial to safe scuba
diving.

Relative Risk Conditions
• Developmental delay
• History of drug or alcohol abuse
• History of previous psychotic episodes
• Use of psychotropic medications

Severe Risk Conditions
• Inappropriate motivation to dive – solely to please spouse,
partner or family member, to prove oneself in the face of
personal fears
• Claustrophobia and agoraphobia
• Active psychosis
• History of untreated panic disorder
• Drug or alcohol abuse

John,
We too went through the medical form, and there is nothing "technically" there to mark as a YES for autism. But when we went to the descriptions, there are some risk conditions that COULD apply, however, one would not know that without meeting/assessing them in person. That, or a parent, that has raised them - that's the rub.

Had he talked about it, we certainly would have brought up the options of HSA, etc. (and since have and are thinking).

I likened it to driving. Why don't they drive? What are the risks? Compare it to SCUBA.

I agree that this should have been disclosed on the medical form. That said it would be ADA discrimination to out of hand refuse to teach the student...

Autisim is but one of the disabilities that Handicapped SCUBA Association (HSA) ceretifies. Patience and an undersanding of Autism is required and the instructor should be HSA or equivilent certified. PADI and NAUI were both there contributing to the creation of the HSA standards.

Autistic divers do well, in that many experience a change in their life that stays with them after the dive is over. ...

I have been trying to decide what the bigger questions are. It seems there are two:

1) Assuming OW certification, what Asperger and high functioning autistic behaviors would present a danger to self or buddy?

2) What are the ADA requirements for the instructional facility and how much extra expense is the facility required to incur?

I have been trying to decide what the bigger questions are. It seems there are two:

1) Assuming OW certification, what Asperger and high functioning autistic behaviors would present a danger to self or buddy?

Anxiety disorders are common comorbid conditions with ASDs that would be dangerous to divers and their buddies.

Also I guess being unable to tell when a buddy is in distress due to poor ability to read people is another thing though personally I found rescue class helped a lot with that as it gave tangible things to look for to see if my buddy is having problems.

teriandcompany:
We too went through the medical form, and there is nothing "technically" there to mark as a YES for autism.

I am glad about this. There is such a wide range in how autistic disorders manifest that it would be telling you very little about someone's medical fitness to dive if there was a question related to it. Questions about things like anxiety and so on are far more useful.

First, congratulations on accepting them as students, despite the questionable straightforwardness of the father. Cognitive disabilities scare me the most, but the fear passes with experience with each student and ultimately the rewards far outweigh the up front trepidations.

I teach for Diveheart and have worked with several persons with autism and have seen a very wide range of ability and inability. We have taken several of these people through disabled/adaptive diver training locally in the Chicago area and finished them in the Keys. I could go in so many directions with this... but I'll try to stay focused...

There is no way I would even remotely consider a typical OW course for a diver with Autism, from a safety or time perspective. There has to be time to evaluate comfort level in the water (via DSD), to establish a trust, to assess what they can accomplish today vs. what they can accomplish in the next month or next year. Trust is a huge issue, and it's not just with the diver, it's also with that student's guardian(s). (...and I haven't even mentioned academics...)

You have to question the way you're used to teaching. Everything has to be analyzed. Can this person be taught in tandem with someone else? Should it be one on one? What distracts this person? What holds this person's attention? Should there even be another soul in or near the pool when doing confined training? Does the presence of the parent or guardian seem to affect the person's behavior?

Set expectations after no fewer than 2 DSD events and communicate that to the parents or guardians up front. Maybe it will take 3 or 4 events, but only you can decide that. What is the best way to make this person the safest diver he or she can be? With some of the students I have worked with, the goal was to make them safe as an HSA-C or (SDI) Scubility 3 level and got them diving in supervised situations. Now with some experience, I can and have offered them the challenge of working up the ladder. A level 3 or C *CAN* become a level 2/B or 1/A, but the student has to make that commitment. Push too hard up front and you won't be happy with the outcome. If mom & dad try to push their case, you'll have to convince them that a slow approach is in everyone's best interest or you'll have to decline the opportunity to work with this student.

Here's another consideration. Depending on this person's autism affects them, you might consider putting mom and/or dad in the pool, on scuba (for their own DSD) with the student, after the student has experienced a DSD or two. They could become a tremendous asset. They might understand your perspective a little better and/or they might be able to help you identify ways to better teach the student.

I threw a lot out there, not specifically to the intent of the OP, but I hope it helps.

I'm cross-posting this from the instructor forum. I'd love input from anyone!
thx

I began an OW class with a father and his two sons this week. He (dad) had signed up 6 weeks ago with the shop, but did not inform anyone of his son's disabilities (which seems like pretty important information to exclude). When I followed up with them 5 days before the first pool session (I always make sure they are progressing with the bookwork, answer questions, etc), it was then he informed me they were having a little trouble and the boys (20, 24) were autistic. I asked him if he really thought they were capable of completing the course in the basic one-weekend format, and he did.

I have no problem working with them; however, it is clear after one session that determining if they are capable of certifying is something that will not be done in one weekend. Struggles with getting bookwork done (commitment to doing it and comprehension) and following directions in the pool, etc. In fact, I see what may require many, many hours. I also see the need to remove dad from the picture to assess their ability to think and act independently. I do believe the potential is there - and I work with LD kids in the classroom all the time - time, patience, repetition, serial learning, retention...all things I know it will take before even making the call with these guys.

I'm having the discussion with dad next week. I think it's wonderful that he's trying to expose them to as many things as possible, and he definitely puts them first, but I can't see doing something like this on a fast track.

I'd be greatful for any input, insight, experience anyone can pass on in a situation like this!
thanks!

Bob (and all),
Thanks for the input. I appreciate perspective. We have talked to dad about this, and his many options. He asked for another pool session (will be our 3rd DSD). I agreed and will do it with his understanding that I do not want him in the water (I will certify him seperately) and I will look at the young men singularly to see what they've retained in the 10 days since they were in the water. He's actually quite disappointed that it's costing more money and taking more time (he thought they should be done - and I haven't talked much about the academic side yet here, but that is a whole other issue with LD's, reading, etc), but I iterated that I won't rush safety, and if he was not comfortable with my approach, he is certainly free to talk to others.

Bob, I have lots of notes on these young men and their styles - very different/opposite requirements, distractions, and focus time constraints for learning based on two DSD's, but am off to work and can't elaborate now. The one thing they have in common (for teaching) is serial input. Multitasking is a challenge right now (but, as with anything, that learned - we had to learn to walk and breath once before :))

Thanks again! I'll update after tomorrow's DSD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom