Tec computer with Trimix and A.I., is Suunto HelO2 the cheapest option?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will admit I liked being able to look at my wrist and seeing my gas pressure. I did a bunch of dives doing that with a Vytec DS. Nice computer, the algorithm worked for my diving (especially after I set the conservatism at 50%). Part of me wished that I did not sell it.

That said I tried the Suunto HelO2 and just did not like it. That said, I did not do any He dives on it. But just working with it over the Vytec did not work for me. As such, I sold it and the transmitter for < $600 (i.e. new cost is over price). That said I do know of one tech diver who uses it and has had very good luck with it. I respect his viewpoint.

Now as a tech diver you will have two timing and depth devices. One may be a computer such as Petrel doing all of the dive calculations but the other could something like Suunto Di6 set to gauge mode which even in gauge mode will record the cylinder pressure as well as your depth and time.

At this point in your diving career I would suggest you get a good computer for basic deco diving. As said I wish I would have kept my Vytec DS - it would do what you want with out issue.

Please don't get me wrong, if there's one option I strongly favor, it's the one where I just pocket the money, spend it on training and boat fees... a lot of points brought up on this thread do resonate with me, and I'm just asking clarifying questions to make sure that before making the decision, I understand all the perspectives.

The Sunnto RGBM isn't *longer* it's just misshapen comparatively.

Would you mind writing a few words about it, or posting a link? This has probably been covered somewhere on SB already, but I missed it. If it's not the excessive conservatism that RGBM is getting so much bad press for, why else is Suunto's RGBM inferior? Also, in your opinion, is their technical version of RGMB any better, or does it share the same flaws?

I tried the Suunto HelO2 and just did not like it. (...) just working with it over the Vytec did not work for me.

What did you not like about it?

Why not get the training and then get the gear? Youll learn about gear when you take a intro to tech course and that may help you decide on what gear to get.

I'm somewhat reluctant to buy anything based on the advice of an instructor in a class due to my very negative past experience dealing with LDS, and as much as possible I'd like to avoid the expectation that I buy any kind of equipment at all from the place that sells me training. Plus, quite frankly, ScubaBoard seems like a much more credible source of knowledge (now, that must sound really naive... :wink:).

I took intro to tech and really understand a lot of the math much more and I'm not a math person.

Would you please recommend something for me to read, to help me make a more informed decision?

Buy a Petrel. Get over your interest in A.I., and remember that if you're not experienced enough to know what your consumption should be you're not experienced enough for basic deco much less tmx.

I would not do a deco dive with anyone running a Suunto algo, as it's hard to match. I also would not get in the water with someone whose computer was likely to start beeping for any one of a number of reasons.

Read the manual for both the Petrel and the HelO2 -- if after seeing how relatively poorly designed an old p.o.s. the HelO2 is, you still have any interest in it as a tech computer, buy one.

VPM-B isn't that different from RGBM...

You can turn the sound off using the software. You can also throttle back the conservatism.

If you are going to be doing gas switching AI will do you no good anyhow.............

Ummm why is that? Because your limited experience tells you so?

I can use either:

My Mares icon - it allows me to switch between three (3) different mixes of gas, air, Nitrox (21-99) and O2. I am more aware of my gas usage and depth because I must confirm my gas switches....

My Hollis DG5 - it allows me to swap between four (4) gasses including Trimix, both hypoxic and Normoxic blends and it isn't task loading once your muscle memory gets used to doing it.

Both have nice big colorful displays that cover all the bases. He'll my Icon even let's me load cave and wreck maps.

And as for safety, I route my transmitters along the side of the tanks, on a 6" hp hose, secured in the same bands for my reg hoses. They are out of the way and not gonna "snap off" since they aren't buds on the first stage. (I dive sidemount)

I have at times dove with a back up NitekQ (with no integration) - especially on Tec-Trimix dives, and usually have my citizen Aqualand divemaster watch. Also, the first stage I use (Hollis DC7/500se) has two HP ports and so I have a manual gauge (spg) to provide me a safety backup on tank pressure.

There is nothing wrong with AI in Tec or cave diving if it is redundant to a mechanical gauge and properly stowed.

Dan-O

Ummm why is that? Because your limited experience tells you so?

I can use either:

My Mares icon - it allows me to switch between three (3) different mixes of gas, air, Nitrox (21-99) and O2. I am more aware of my gas usage and depth because I must confirm my gas switches....

My Hollis DG5 - it allows me to swap between four (4) gasses including Trimix, both hypoxic and Normoxic blends and it isn't task loading once your muscle memory gets used to doing it.

Both have nice big colorful displays that cover all the bases. He'll my Icon even let's me load cave and wreck maps.

And as for safety, I route my transmitters along the side of the tanks, on a 6" hp hose, secured in the same bands for my reg hoses. They are out of the way and not gonna "snap off" since they aren't buds on the first stage. (I dive sidemount)

I have at times dove with a back up NitekQ (with no integration) - especially on Tec-Trimix dives, and usually have my citizen Aqualand divemaster watch. Also, the first stage I use (Hollis DC7/500se) has two HP ports and so I have a manual gauge (spg) to provide me a safety backup on tank pressure.

There is nothing wrong with AI in Tec or cave diving if it is redundant to a mechanical gauge and properly stowed.

Dan-O

So you running 4 transmitters, and it will figure out your SAC on each change?

Get the training first and then the computer. Most instructors will have you cut tables and use a BT in intro courses and technical dives are done with a preset plan, not just making it up as you go a long. In your training you will learn tips that will make calculating your scr easily. The RGBM algorithm is hard to match to a Buhlman GF or VPM algorithm which is most commonly used (Shearwater, Liquivison, MultiDeco, VPlanner)

Gas switches on A.I. just adds to task loading, there's already enough of that going on at a deco stop.

The Shearwater and Liquivison are highly recommended for a reason. Shearwater service is outstanding, both are very user friendly, and the screens are great.

AI is not needed. You will learn to anticipate how much gas you have once you start training.

Only one SPG is needed, if you have a failure that requires a shutdown your dive is over. Start moving towards the surface/exit.

Problems with transmitters:
Loosing connectivity
Batteries dying
Camera strobes can cause interference
Gas switches are a pain

Your SCR should not change that much in a dive, there will be a "Working SCR" and a "Deco" SCR

AI is not needed and just an expensive accessory.

Now for the HeO2: The screen is a standard screen and not illuminated. I could drive over a Shearwater and it would still be ok, same with an X1, the HeO2 is just plastic. The Liquivisions are potted making them impossible to flood, HeO2s can flood.

I just picked up the book The Six Skills for technical divers and it has a lot of good info on what you need to work on.

Also so read about rock bottom gas management. Read how to calculate your sac rate, read about gas matching. Read about deco algorithms.

All of this is available on the web. My intro to tech teacher gave me a
large stack of reading for the class. I won't share that though because it was part of the class and information he put together to teach the class.

Umm yes- that's what a Trimix dive computer does....

So does my Icon HD...

I have a Helo2 with transmitter I will sell you for $700, including shipping and original box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ha9e5a6y.jpg

---------- Post added January 5th, 2014 at 10:02 PM ----------

Umm yes- that's what a Trimix dive computer does....

So does my Icon HD...

mu9uvyma.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom