Tec computer with Trimix and A.I., is Suunto HelO2 the cheapest option?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Umm yes- that's what a Trimix dive computer does....

So does my Icon HD...

I appreciate the information and I have corrected my post to reflect that.

On the other hand being a jackass in conveying it you are the first person to hit my ignore list on this board. Life is too short when there are plenty of others that convey info without it.

Buy a Petrel. Get over your interest in A.I., and remember that if you're not experienced enough to know what your consumption should be you're not experienced enough for basic deco much less tmx.

I would not do a deco dive with anyone running a Suunto algo, as it's hard to match. I also would not get in the water with someone whose computer was likely to start beeping for any one of a number of reasons.

Read the manual for both the Petrel and the HelO2 -- if after seeing how relatively poorly designed an old p.o.s. the HelO2 is, you still have any interest in it as a tech computer, buy one.

Agree completely.
AI no good for tech diving. Petrel simplest computer on the planet.

I would echo the sentiments of those who've advised doing the training first, before purchasing. At the very least, identify your prospective tech instructor/s and talk directly to them. Pages of explanations here on Scubaboard won't carry as much relevance for the OP as a few technical training dives will.

The first principle to apply to technical diving equipment is K.I.S.S..... Air-integration adds more complexity to technical dives, even if that seems counter-intuitive when considering the pros and cons from a recreational diving perspective.

If you want to understand RGBM vs VPM vs Buhlmann etc, get yourself a copy of Mark Powell's "Deco for Divers". IMHO, that should be standard reading for anyone planning to do technical diving training and/or deciding upon tech computer purchases.

Should the OP be absolutely certain they want to buy a tech computer at this very early stage in their progression, regardless of advice to the contrary, the suggestions to consider a Shearwater Petrel is well-founded. A second option would be the new X-Deep Black - this will serve as a great bottom-timer for initial stages of tech, then upgradeable (inc VPM and trimix) in line with development of experience and training.

I'm somewhat reluctant to buy anything based on the advice of an instructor in a class due to my very negative past experience dealing with LDS, and as much as possible I'd like to avoid the expectation that I buy any kind of equipment at all from the place that sells me training.

Sounds like you need advice on how to pick instructors and LDS's NOT computers.

ha9e5a6y.jpg

---------- Post added January 5th, 2014 at 10:02 PM ----------

mu9uvyma.jpg
Your diving SAC was 0.67 to 0.86 and your deco SAC was 1.53?

Your diving SAC was 0.67 to 0.86 and your deco SAC was 1.53?

Yes, fighting the outflow at Devils during the height of its strong outflow this year.

Happens sometimes...

The Sunnto RGBM isn't *longer* it's just misshapen comparatively.

If you want to run a full implementation of RGBM, the only computer I'm aware of which will do so is the Liquivision Xeo--it's available as an add-on from a third party vendor. Who knows what Suunto's proprietary version of RGBM is? OTOH, why not choose an algorithm more likely to match what your teammates are using, and is available on desktop computers, smart phones, or tablets, i.e., VPM or Buhlmann GF. I agree that at this point you should be reading "Deco for Divers".

1. Buy two basic computers with free dive mode and a slate. Make sure you can change the battery as well.
2. Complete the course up to trimix.
3. Down load some programms such as Deco Planner, Pro-Planner etc etc.
4. Go diving and have fun.

Back
Top Bottom