Tec or Rec..can you move from Rec to Tec slowly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

70 dives and I am really happy my first BC is a BP/W. I also use a 7' primary with an identical secondary on a necklace. I spend time planning my set-up to have a balanced rig for each type of dive I am doing. It is clearly a process. Eventually I will get tec training, but in the meantime I think the technical gear that I buy works just fine in the less demanding recreational dives that I am doing. I really like the flexibility, simplicity, and buoyancy characteristics of my set-up. It seems logical to me adjusting the trim of my set-up too. Since I initially started diving, I have lost almost 100#, so having the ability to adjust and adapt my equipment by just trimming webbing is really nice. I am glad I did not take my LDS's advice on a typical jacket-style rec BC that would have cost more and done less.

Jay, yes, you can take a gradual road to technical diving. And gear can be a later part of it.

The biggest difference between the usual recreational diving and "technical" diving is meticulousness. It's planning, and understanding gas consumption and gas supplies and gas reserves, and doing contingency planning for the "what ifs" that become more and more daunting as the dives get deeper and longer. It's skills -- polishing buoyancy and trim until they're totally invariant under stress and task-loading. It's poise and calm and a thoughtful approach to problems underwater. None of these things is related to gear at all, really, although emergency procedures are to some extent gear-dependent.

One of the things I like about the UTD Essentials class is that the only real gear changes it requires are paddle fins and a long hose/bungied backup arrangement. Both of these are inexpensive changes which are easily accomplished (in a recreational BCD, most can use a 5' hose). Essentials works on buoyancy control, trim, alternative propulsion techniques, and situational awareness, and these are all core concepts for deeper diving. Practicing and becoming comfortable with gas donation and air-sharing ascents, and working with no mask, are all things you can do in the gear that you have, or with minor adjustments.

If you are truly headed for staged decompression diving, you will eventually need to make gear changes, but they do not need to be your first step. Although, as you learn more about contingency planning, you will quickly decide that some kind of redundancy is mandatory for yourself, below some threshold depth.

Solidifying your basic diving skills and getting some deeper recreational experience is an excellent way to work up to deeper dives. As a wonderful instructor of mine once said, "Do all the dives you can do with the certification you have; when you are totally bored, get more education."

Wow, these comments really have saved me some bucks(at present) and made this summer a pretty simple/fun dive fest, i.e. dive more, refine skills, worry less about gear, more about diving.
Thanks to all!!!!!!!!

Now that's the right idea! Not too much to add to all the great comments, but I dove for 18 years, sporadically, on just a basic rec setup. Just moved into tec this year (in sidemount configuration BTW - worth consideration as it gains popularity). Have FUN, there is plenty to appreciate <60'! Best of luck to you!

I might be a bad person to answer this....my 8th dive after finishing my open water course my instructor let me borrow a bp/wing with a h-valve 95 when I was trying to decide what to buy for a bc....Dive 9 was with my new transplate/wing and double LP95's the following weekend...I kinda skipped the rec stage and went from open water to tek :idk:

Trim and bouyancy was 100x easier and more comfortable with the bp/wing set up and because I was needing ~22lbs to sink with the rental BC and my 7mm suit with the rental lp77 in freshwater. With double lp95's I didn't need weight anymore to sink, never run out of air, redundancy in the event of a SHF situation...good on all fronts :D

I might be a bad person to answer this....my 8th dive after finishing my open water course my instructor let me borrow a bp/wing with a h-valve 95 when I was trying to decide what to buy for a bc....Dive 9 was with my new transplate/wing and double LP95's the following weekend...I kinda skipped the rec stage and went from open water to tek :idk:

Having a BP/W and doubles does not equal 'tek'.

I agree! The change in gear is the most VISIBLE part of the transition, but it is probably, in the end, the smallest part (and the least expensive, believe it or not). Far more important is the training, the improvement in skills, and the change in the mindset that occurs when you start doing higher-risk diving. As those changes CAN be made gradually.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom