Tec or Rec..can you move from Rec to Tec slowly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m looking to start diving wrecks this Spring summer in the Great lakes, including a trip to North Carolina in June.

I like some of the features of the Tech rigs, but since I have relatively new recreational style equipment, I'd just like to add some pieces, upgrade further down the road.

Is it all or nothing…. Tech or Rec, but not both?

I have a DUI suit, Seaquest Balance BCD, Scubapro MK17/S600 regs, with a Cobra 2.

I’d like to add a HP 120 with a new cold water reg and an H Valve. Good handheld primary light with solid back up.

I would not purchase a BP/Wing at this time, nor a canister light.

I think most of my dives this year will be in the 90-120 range,

BTW, I am taking an Intro To Tech NAUI course to understand some of the basic Tech diving/gear configurations, but at this point, with my somewhat new dive experience(40 + dives), biting the bullet for a decked our Tech rig is just a bit much to handle.

Comments or feedback appreciated.

I would get a pony bottle, rather than the H valve and then just dive the rig you have. If you are doing recreational dives 90 to 120 feet, the large steel tank and a pony bottle is fine. I always recommend that people spend ther money on DIVING rather than on dive gear.

Spend the summer doing those more advanced dives with the gear you have and after a dozen or so boat trips offshore, you will be much better prepared to make the choices that are corect for you.

Yu don't need anything special to dive 120 feet, but you should have some redundancy.

Sorry my friend Hogarthian BP/wings have been around a lot longer than "DIR" I say better because the configuration doesn't change regardless of singles, doubles or even CCR diving, take nothing more than you need and be able to find it blind folded, everything stays the same regardless of what kind of diving you may be doing at any particular time. I am not knocking recreational BC's because there is some very fine gear out there today, it all depends on the application.

absolutely, I see no reason not to start rec diving with Hogarthian BP/W right from the start if the person knows the would be doing tech in the future. Just more time to get used to the rig while doing rec dives. If only I knew about it as I started I would have saved some money.

Of course this guy already has a good recreational BC....

Greetings Jay it is great to hear of your interest in continuing your diving.
The first step in any progression is to do the research as you are right now. Ask questions, do some back ground reading, and think about what kind of diving you want to do and what training it requires to achieve these goals.
Mentoring relationships are worth more than gold if you have taken the time to make sure that the skill set and goals of the mentor are like yours.
I have been so very lucky to have a awesome mentor that was tough when he needed to be and encouraging me to strive for goals I only considered to be dreams.
I have found in my own search is that it is best to start at the beginning and be honest with yourself. Do not dive beyond your training or ability and never break the rules of safe diving. Determine what diving goals you have and how to achieve them. After finding the right instructor begin the process moving as your skill sets allow.
Be sure to take the proper time to gain mastery of the more challenging skills and the elevated awareness that comes from dive experience.
There will be bumps in the road, but that is where determination and commitment will have to see you through. Mentors are very valuable while sorting out priorities at times. As you move forward take it step by step enjoying the ride and the view!
I chose the style of diving that can allow me achieve my goals and bring me back to appreciate the view. Have fun and enjoy the dive training and try to forget the cost of diving because it goes with the territory. There are ways to save cash but there are other items that only the best will do. It is different for everyone so I say WELCOME!
The journey is just beginning.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

Guys;

Again, I want to thank everyone for the excellent comments and suggestions. I'm in the pool this week, working on different skills, might get in pool one more time, or we just head out into the quarries for open water work. The dive shop is providing loaner gear for the pool and open water, and providing an older BP/W for my own practice over the next few weeks.

I'm leaning toward buying a BP/W, with long/short hose reg set up and use my AL80,then dive the heck out of that basic rig for a few months, then will decide if I need a larger tank and any other gear.

Totally agree that I'm not ready for deco dives, and I'm fine with that. Need a bunch more dives under my belt which will provide the direction I want to go along with improving my basic dive skills.

That Pony bottle subject is pretty subjective, some swear by em, others swear at them. I've read every thread on these boards, and there is NO consensus. I like the idea of back up air, but I also like to think that at some point, my gas managment skills, along with solid dive plan, AND a solid buddy, would not require a pony.........not trying to stir the pot, just saying, enough threads on this subject, don't need anymore.

THANKS AGAIN GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That Pony bottle subject is pretty subjective, some swear by em, others swear at them. I've read every thread on these boards, and there is NO consensus. I like the idea of back up air, but I also like to think that at some point, my gas managment skills, along with solid dive plan, AND a solid buddy, would not require a pony.........not trying to stir the pot, just saying, enough threads on this subject, don't need anymore.

THANKS AGAIN GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can get a Luxfer AL40 tank and sling it. This way you will have a backup source and the skills you get with it will be useful later. You will not have to resell it later as you can use it as a deco bottle.

Sorry my friend Hogarthian BP/wings have been around a lot longer than "DIR" I say better because the configuration doesn't change regardless of singles, doubles or even CCR diving, take nothing more than you need and be able to find it blind folded, everything stays the same regardless of what kind of diving you may be doing at any particular time. I am not knocking recreational BC's because there is some very fine gear out there today, it all depends on the application.

I wasn't suggesting that DIR created BP/wings, but that it created the stir of doing it right (or "better") versus wrong.

The reason I prefer "different" over "better" is because (a) it eliminates the problems the early DIR discussions caused and (b) when a system is truly better it pushes all others out of the field. Diesel locomotives eliminated steam, cars eliminated horses, computers and printers pretty much eliminated typewriters, etc. We see the same thing in medicine in terms of drugs, treatments and procedures.

I began diving when it was just a backpack. Buoyancy devices have pretty much eliminated that type of diving,but the bp/wings configuration, which has been around for many years, still has a small portion of the market. I like the configuration, but better is ultimately in the eyes of the overall market place not individual users.

if you are planning to go tech route you will eventually need to move to back plate so one option that I had and used was to sell my BCD while it's relatively new and buy a BP/W setup.

It is sort of amazing how many "like new" BCDs you can find for sale...

:cool2:

I can't tell you how great a thread like this is for a new diver. I certainly don't have anything to add seeing that I haven't even made it to the quarry yet for my open dives. I just wanted to thank eveyone that has made this thread so great. Aside from my mask, fins, snorkel, all I have purchased is one of those "like new BCD's." I have really gained alot and have put some of my equipment purchases on hold. I guess I have spent 10,000.00 dollars in my head on "stuff" I would need down the road if I progressed to wreck diving. Since I don't have 10,000.00 dollars your comments on what might be needed, but more importantly what you can do from having to replace equipment with equipment you might have purchased from the start, has been nice. I guess I will start out with my "Like New BCD" and continue to benefit from your experience. Thanks again all.

You don't have to do it all at once. If you want to go more advanced in your diving there are plenty of things you can do in your current diving. Do lots of shallow dives and this will really help you nail buoyancy. Trim + buoyancy make everything so much easier if you are going to do more advanced training.

Borrow lots of different types of gear off people and do some easy dives with them. Try lots of kinds of twinsets, stages, lights, etc.

Find someone who does the type of diving you want to do and go diving with them and get them to mentor you. There's lots of stuff you can learn just by watching them. How they plan dives, gear up, and how they are underwater.

Take a chill pill about gear. Get bits and pieces when you can and keep borrowing stuff to refine what you like. If you are going to do more advanced diving you'll probably go through lots of gear anyway and it is going to be expensive so probably having to buy replacement gear is something you just have to deal with. I've given up worrying about how much damn money I spend on diving. :wink:

Some of the 'technical' skills really are not that hard, which was surprising to me (I'm not a natural at diving). Valve drills, diving with twins, running line, dealing with various failures that have been inflicted on me by instructors or even just my own stuff ups, etc. That stuff is easy once you have your trim and buoyancy sorted. Obviously it does get much harder than that but you won't have to worry about that for a while. The stuff I have found most hard is working well with others underwater. Lots of people lack situational awareness which makes it hard to keep the buddy or team from being annoying if you are trying to lead or communicate. I still haven't really solved that issue other than being very very picky with buddies, but I guess that's probably the solution.

I think part of it is attitude too. I am a very stressed out person on land and I used to wonder if I should pursue anything beyond easy rec dives but I just don't freak out underwater when things go wrong. That helps also. And experience has helped me be faster at responding to problems or knowing when to call it quits.

Anyway, I am not a very advanced diver but I have done some training that would be considered 'technical' (though I don't like that term as it sounds pretentious) and those are the things that helped me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom