Tec or Rec..can you move from Rec to Tec slowly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Right,you learn slowly by diving,not by taking an intro to tech course after 50 dives.

Yes, but first you need someone to show how to pass the turns on the rear wheel drive car. Those techniques that one learns in "Mc Driving" school on a Toyota corolla will not bring him closer to formula 1 even after driving the car for the 1000 time. Even after the 10000 time it will still be the same car...

Coming back to diving IMHO it is better to learn how to maintain proper trim and learn the essential fining techniques from the very start in order to learn how to do it properly and use the diving time to nail it down.

Ok,I think you're giving yourself the answer here.Forget that "technical" stuff for the time being.With just a one year old certification and 21-49 dives it's just not the case as yet.Dive for a few years and enjoy it and once you have at least 300-400 dives under your belt you might think about upgrading for "technical",it will come natural.At that stage a BP/wing is mandatory.Forget that canister light.
Sorry,but regarding technical,only experienced divers need to apply IMO.Besides,you can very much enjoy your diving as a so called "rec" diver.
Another thing:I would like those terms "technical" and "recreative" to be banned by law:)
And yes,those "Intro to Tech" courses are just one of the many,too many,rip offs.Diving as much as possible is your "intro" to tech.

I strongly disagree with this viewpoint. Technical diving is not rocket science, however much some people would like to believe that it is. To do it properly and safely requires a certain mind and skillset as well as certain gear. Experience and comfort in the water are important but I have seen divers that would be just fine taking tech classes at 100-150 dives and I have seen divers with thousands of dives who wouldn't stand a chance at passing. IMHO the most important component in technical diving
isn't really the class at all but the mentoring aspect of like minded divers. The best divers seem to all have a great team/group of dive buddies in common. I would start by finding some people in your area who are doing the kind of dives you want to do and start diving with them.

On the gear side you could probably sell your almost new BCD on Ebay for $200-300 and you can get a fine BP/W setup for around $300, so not a big loss there. Get yourself a pair of Paddle style fins if you don't have them already and star practising some various kicks (frog kick, back kick etc.) Switch to a longhose setup and learn how to do s drills (in trim).

BTW especially if you lack the mentorship of like minded divers in your area Intro to Tech can be valuable as it will give you a good idea of where the bar is at as far as in water skills and proficiency goes.

You are not "there" yet and you have the common sense and good judgement to know that. I don't think it's ever to early to start thinking about your diving goals and forming a roadmap of how to achieve them. Knowing where you want to go will influence alot of the decisions you make from here on out so don't listen to the "forget about tech diving until you have X number of dives crowd"

I'm easy Boss.Sorry,never used a pony in my life.

Grazzi Capo :cool2: but why shouldn't a newb start educating themselves and start buying the right gear to avoid buying twice and from the course being offered become a better diver?

the right gear to avoid buying twice
Right gear?Is technical gear "The Right Gear"?The right gear is the gear you need for the kind of dive you're about to perform.
Again 50 dives is way too early to start thinking "technical".Off course that's my very personal opinion then everybody is entlited to bang his head on whicever wall he likes to.
To the OP:good luck with your diving carreer whichever that may be.Enjoy it.
Good night everyone.

Right gear?Is technical gear "The Right Gear"?The right gear is the gear you need for the kind of dive you're about to perform.
Again 50 dives is way too early to start thinking "technical".Off course that's my very personal opinion then everybody is entlited to bang his head on whicever wall he likes to.
To the OP:good luck with your diving carreer whichever that may be.Enjoy it.
Good night everyone.

Is a BP/wing technical or just a better way to dive? the same applies to slinging a stage as opposed to a pony.

Is a BP/wing technical or just a better way to dive? the same applies to slinging a stage as opposed to a pony.

It is a different way to dive. "Better" becomes a matter of opinion and takes you down the old DIR road, which got a bit rocky back in the day.

It is a different way to dive. "Better" becomes a matter of opinion and takes you down the old DIR road, which got a bit rocky back in the day.

Sorry my friend Hogarthian BP/wings have been around a lot longer than "DIR" I say better because the configuration doesn't change regardless of singles, doubles or even CCR diving, take nothing more than you need and be able to find it blind folded, everything stays the same regardless of what kind of diving you may be doing at any particular time. I am not knocking recreational BC's because there is some very fine gear out there today, it all depends on the application.

Can I raise the 'pool cue' argument here?

The definition of being good at pool is being able to whip your opponents ass with the bar's crappy pool cue, despite your opponents deluxe super duper cue version.

Competence and equipement are not the same thing and plenty divers are good divers diving in pretty much anything. Kit will not make you good. Being good will make you good and the ****ter your kit while you learn the better. Cos you'll be better for dealing with their shortcomings.

In terms of Rec/Tech. These are constructions for the benefit of agencies. Be a good diver, work out what you want to do, and get the appropriate training for that activity.

Labels like Rec or Tech etc. are utterly meaningless.

What do you want to dive? Ok, what do you need to do it (in terms of training and/or kit)? Get that. Dive it.

Labels are a diversion.

J

Back
Top Bottom