Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I teach technical wreck, not cave, (although the syllabus is largely identical)... and those courses have the benefit that the student is supposed to already be a competent and experienced technical diver before applying those skills and equipment in the overhead.

In cave, there can be a lot less 'equipment time' before you enter the overhead environment.

In general, I find opposition to sidemount comes from only four sources:

1) Divers who've been badly trained on sidemount, and consequently have not enjoyed the performance and comfort benefits that sidemount should provide.

2) Divers who've encountered badly trained sidemount divers and attribute the shenanigans they've witnessed as being a result of an equipment performance deficit, not a training deficit.

3) instructors who aren't effective sidemount divers themselves, and seek to conceal the competency shortfall by downplaying the performance of sidemount equipment.

4) Experienced and highly competent (esp tech/cave) backmount divers who 'try' sidemount and obviously notice a performance degradation due to the unfamiliar kit and protocols. Unwilling to be a 'learner' again, they instead deny the need to build a comparable experience foundation in that unfamiliar kit. They dismiss sidemount as "more complex", "not as useful" or "not as natural" etc etc etc... Basically, anything other than simply accepting that you can't compare your performance, fluidity and comfort in kit you've used thousands of times, versus kit you've barely used at all.

The AVAILABILITY (of quality tuition) is much more in favor of backmount...

An attitude that emphasises that they don't appreciate the need (when it doesn't suit them) to spend time in a given configuration to develop a deeply ingrained, intuitive and unconscious level equipment operation and protocols familiarity...

Which leads to situation #4, that I mentioned above...

In short, egos can't easily handle not still being the 'expert' in that equipment, so denial and avoidance are preferable courses of action
Our personal experiences must be vastly different. Especially on the bolded part. No offence intended, it sounds like perhaps your dealings are more with the stereotypical OW resort DM types. I can imagine how jaded that could make someone.

Our personal experiences must be vastly different. Especially on the bolded part. No offence intended, it sounds like perhaps your dealings are more with the stereotypical OW resort DM types. I can imagine how jaded that could make someone.
Not really, I see it on Scubaboard regularly.
This very thread even. From some very respected diver. None of us are immune to ego barriers sometimes.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but that group does exist, especially in the circles that I run in which is Florida cave divers

I've been diving sidemount near exclusively as a full-time tech instructor. That's a LOT of diving....many thousands of dives, many thousands of hours of dedicated, focused practice.

Nonetheless, i still wish for more time to improve my familiarity, fluidity and instinctive performance in the kit. A few weeks off and I know my skills have degraded, my performance declined.. and I'll throttle back my dive thresholds as a consequence.

How does that compare with these weekends-only divers/instructors who very rarely dust off a sidemount rig only "when the dive demands it"...?

When do they ever get the chance to become.. and stay.. good in their sidemount kit?

Or is 'good' a very subjective term?

@DevonDiver my understanding is that those who use it as mission specific treat it more like sump diving. When going through mostly snug restrictions, and usually getting there on a DPV with a bunch of other bottles, having perfect trim and what not does not matter, it's just a way to be able to fit into those holes. @PfcAJ and @kensuf spend a lot more time around those divers than I do and can likely offer better insight, but most of these guys that treat sidemount like that are diving ALL the time and have near flawless skills. Granted they're in backmount, but once you are in a restriction, having perfect bottle trim doesn't matter, having perfect long hose donation setups doesn't matter, it's getting in there and getting out to go explore what is beyond.
It's a completely different style of diving vs. those that dive sidemount exclusively or near exclusively but as long as it works, that is all that matters. I've seen some of these rigs, some of them are a bit ghastly compared to a lot of the videos and pictures people see online, but by God they work every time in those restrictions and that is what matters

Not really, I see it on Scubaboard regularly.
This very thread even. From some very respected diver. None of us are immune to ego barriers sometimes.
I see it sometimes too, just not as often as others seem to. Some people just see what they want to see and read what they want to read.
:)

Wow, there are at least three incarnations of the Nomad that were designed by a guy that feels sidemount is being oversold and is an advanced form of cave diving not appropriate for novices. Those designs were based on the demands of the sidemount exploration diving he was doing.

What rigs have you designed?

On top of designing SM rigs in his spare time, he also does a fair bit of sidemount CCR. As a matter of fact he is also a well known sidekick instructor trainer. He just wrapped up a sidekick IE this past weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom