Tech, DIR, and other Acronyms.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SolarStorm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So where is a good place for an explanation of these? According to my wife I am a very techy guy and a Dork In a Rutt.

But I am sure these have different meanings when talking about diving?

hello and welcome.

these terms can be learned by a search here on scuba board. They reefer to a style of diving and a type of diving that is more technical than ow recreational diving. they include some gear configurations and some special training to develop skills for wreck or cave diving.

Tell us more about yourself.

best to you
ww

Cool thats the information I was looking for. Great site with lots of great help.

As for myself. I am a 48 year old diver that did his first dives (uncertified) when I was 18. My brother and I were in Ohau and found this "American Dive Shop" that would take us all over. Looking back was probably not the smartest move for either of us, but we were both competitive swimmers and I was a life guard, so felt very comfortable in the water. We used these cool rigs with a hose over each shoulder and these big round masks. We did a cave dive to a place they called Sharks Cove, although we didnt see any sharks, but the cave was really cool.

Then I had kids. no money followed shortly.

Had my daughters snorkeling when they were 3 and 5, yes we taught them to swim early. People thought we were nuts when we did a trip to molokini (sp?) with these young girls. They had a blast, and shamed a couple of people to getting in the water if a 3 year old could do it. ( she was almost 4)

In 2005 I was certified and was waiting until one of my daughters was interested enough to join me. We are heading back to mexico in 3 weeks and I retook the OWD course with her. We just finished buy all new gear, and cant wait.

Really hoping to get my wife involved with diving. I managed to get her snorkeling, but she grew up without ever being in a pool and with a fear of water and when we got married, she figgured she should learn to swim. I have had her snorkeling, but she is nervous in deep water. I give her a lot of credit, because it is not an easy fear to overcome.

My goals are to do a lot of diving now that I have a partner. Would kill to dive with some whales, have already snorkelled with some way too curious dolphins. Last trip to mexico, I dove one of the cenotes, but much prefer the reefs around cozumel.

Ah its great that you returned to your scuba passion & get to dive with your daughter! I would guess that as your wives swim skills improve, so will her confidence in the water. Lots of great diving can be done in shallow water.

It's so exciting to have shiny new gear and a ticket in hand - I know that feeling ;-)! Hope you have a great time in Mexico, be safe and please watch out if you are tempted towards those overhead environments ;-).

Check out Utilia Honduras for Whale shark encounters - there is nothing like swimming with a 50ft fish ;-).

If you want to hold paper, TDI puts out a good book of terms.

Technical diving, as a term, comes from the early days of aquaCorps Magazine, the idea that Michael Menduno (and the rest of the team) put forward was copied from Mountaineering, where "technical climbing" involved techniques and gear that required you place your life in their proper use and function.

Back
Top Bottom