tech question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mongodives

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Was sent a link that has info on a group of guys wanting to break the tech dive record for Jordan in the gulf of aquaba. It a group of expats with only 1 tech diver.

I'm not a tech diver but I know that there is a lot a gas management planning and a ton of "what if ?" that needs to be addressed and thats a whole lot for 1 guy to be responsible for on the surface and at depth.

Is this the type of dive planning and support that is considered safe in technical diving?

More details would be helpful. What kind of record are we talking about? What will the dive be like?

Are you saying that one tech diver is putting together a group of people, all of whom will do a technical dive that is beyond their level of training?

As an instructor, what would you say if a student asked you if it was OK for a group of divers to do a dive that is well beyond their training as long as there is one guy in the group who is trained for it?

So, basically, a bunch of recreational divers are planning an attempt on a technical depth record? Can't be right....

Jordan- Diving deep - for the love of Aqaba

I think that they're tech divers. They're setting a depth record for their region. According to the article, there will be one diver going for 160m and the others will be support/safety divers.
It sounds like these guys are doing quite a bit of planning.

It a group of expats with only 1 tech diver.

I'm not a tech diver but I know that there is a lot a gas management planning and a ton of "what if ?" that needs to be addressed and thats a whole lot for 1 guy to be responsible for on the surface and at depth.

Jordan- Diving deep - for the love of Aqaba

I think that they're tech divers. ...
It sounds like these guys are doing quite a bit of planning.

I agree. To go back to the original question, if these people really are experienced tech divers who know what they are dong, then this could be a safe expedition. Although the depth they have is very deep for standard technical diving and a record for that part of the world, it is certainly not an unprecedented depth by any means.

Last edited:
Was sent a link that has info on a group of guys wanting to break the tech dive record for Jordan in the gulf of aquaba. It a group of expats with only 1 tech diver.

Is this the type of dive planning and support that is considered safe in technical diving?

Well, nothing is safe. Risks are identified and managed.

166.6 metres is deep (the agency the target diver teaches for only certifies to 100 metres) and there is no mention of prior experience (although there is mention of workup dives on their website). The logistics of diving that deep on Open Circuit will be horrendous (and expensive) and there will be a good chance of some sort of kit failure among the team on game day. One hopes they have a solidly built and tested dive plan.

Not really sure what the OP's real question is...

link 166point6
I'm in a position of ignorance on the tech side, with that said I wouldn't want to have a support team on a dive like this that every member isn't equally or better trained than myself (basing this only on certs posted on their site).

Guess I was just thinking outloud on Scubaboard no real question, just made me curious about tech diving risk management.

link 166point6
I'm in a position of ignorance on the tech side, with that said I wouldn't want to have a support team on a dive like this that every member isn't equally or better trained than myself (basing this only on certs posted on their site).

Guess I was just thinking outloud on Scubaboard no real question, just made me curious about tech diving risk management.

I don't think support divers have to be certified for the highest level, just be competent enough to complete the task they're assigned to. Keep in mind, some support divers might be simply grabbing wet notes from 100ft and relaying them to the surface, or delivering oxygen to 20ft.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom