Tech training in the area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Potapko

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking for tech training in the Md/Dc area. Can anyone recommend an instructor or shop? I went in to one local shop but they are really only rec oriented. Won't mention names.

Thanks for any help,
DP

Go to Divers Source, Jeff Johnson is the tec instructor for our shop. We offer all of IANDT courses with Jeff as the instructor. Call or email to inquire about prices and times

Tobagoman:
Go to Divers Source, Jeff Johnson is the tec instructor for our shop. We offer all of IANDT courses with Jeff as the instructor. Call or email to inquire about prices and times

That is IANTD, sorry, I'm not the best typest!

TheDivingPreacher:
I am looking for tech training in the Md/Dc area. Can anyone recommend an instructor or shop? I went in to one local shop but they are really only rec oriented. Won't mention names.

Thanks for any help,
DP

You might consider VA Scuba - I drive out there from Rockville - it's not that bad of a drive if you can go outside of rush hour. I started going out there because I wanted to get a bp/wing and the local shops near me weren't very helpful with that. Since then I have done my AOW, Nitrox and EFR classes out there. Almost everyone who works there is a tech diver and they regularly offer tech classes - they have a bunch of stuff scheduled over the winter. Obviously, I can't comment on their tech training directly since I need alot more diving under my belt before I can even consider that kind of diving, but I can say that everyone there has been helpful, professional and knowledgeable and I would expect no less from their technical diving classes and instructors. They offer PADI, IANDT and TDI classes. Another plus is that they are located pretty close to MillBrook Quarry which is a convenient place to practice skills. Surprisingly, Manasas is closer to me than Annapolis although around here travel time differences are more dependant on traffic than distance.

Jackie Cooper

Preacher - I am wrapping up my DSAT Tec/Deep program through Va Scuba. I've been very pleased with the instructor (Bill Adams) as well as the other staff and instructors at the shop. I've got about 20 years ow diving and have taken various courses up and down the east coast and find this LDS to be as good or better than any others I've encountered.

As another diver points out, their location in NoVa isn't the most convenient for us in Montg County. However, I can make it there in about 40 minutes during off peak times from Silver Spring. It has been worth it for me.

Let me know if you need anything further. If not, good luck on your pursuit.

I also find myself hanging out at VA Scuba too much. They're a good shop, for a lot of different things.

It sort of depends on what you mean by 'technical training', however, as to where you go first. There is a GUE fundies instructor pretty close to you, relatively speaking, named Bob Sherwood (607) 765-3942. Many folks might feel that thats a good place to begin also. It depends on how far along you are and what you're looking for.

Thanks for all the helpful information. With just under 50 dives I am pretty much a beginner. My greatest need is more experience. However imo just getting in the water won't do it either. I think a GUE fundamentals course may be the way to go. I was also considering a "rescue" course in order to learn how to better handle in water emergencies. I am diving with a Hogarthian rig so I have what I need for the Gue course I think, with the exception of experience :)

Although from what I have read, perhaps the fact that I have not learned too many bad habits is a good thing.

I am also diving dry and would like to get in the water over the winter. Cold quarries and the Med have me fairly well prepared for winter diving around here. (I hope)

Which do you think would be time and money better spent? GUE or Rescue? Or maybe one then the other?

Jeff

TheDivingPreacher:

Thanks for any help,
DP

Brian McMillan (me) and Scott Evans at Adventure Scuba in Chantilly teach the NAUI Tech Program. Everything from recreational trimix through full trimix. The 2005 schedule will be posted soon at http://www.scubava.com

With 50 logged dives I'd recommend taking Rescue first. After that (and as soon as possible) take either DIR-F or the NAUI Intro to Tech class. Both are important classes. Start thinking about tech in another 50 dives or so after you master the skills taught in DIR-F/Intro Tech.

Just me two cents. Dive safe,

Brian
brian@scubava.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom