Technical diving? you're gonna die!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nereas:
I would say that concerning CCR tech diving, all of the above are true.

So if you stick with twin-tank open circuit tech diving, you will be quite safe, possibly even more safe than NDL divers. Get the proper training, from the right instructors, and your diving will actually improve with tech diving.

But steer clear of CCRs.

That's pretty funny. Really.

nereas,
how do you feel about SCR's overall, and in caves? I am contemplating based on the facts I read to maybe go with an SCR in stead of CCR.

Meng_Tze:
nereas,
how do you feel about SCR's overall, and in caves? I am contemplating based on the facts I read to maybe go with an SCR in stead of CCR.

Caves don't interest me, since there are no shipwrecks in caves, so I really cannot help you with your cave issue.

As to my view of the comparative equipment risks associated with SCRs compared with O/C, I have not read anything in the media about SCR failures. Whether that makes them safe or not I cannot say.

Regarding CCRs, it seems fairly clear to anyone who is honest about the issue that CCRs have the highest risk of scuba equipment malfunction.

Regarding O/C, it seems fairly clear as well that this is the safest and most reliable form of scuba. O/C also has the highest limitations on depth and bottom time however, which are the most obvious drawbacks. But safety and reliability are not drawbacks of O/C.

CCRs have lots of cheerleaders, but that does not change reality. One by one, they get to individually face reality, ultimately.

Don't feed the troll

Well, we're all going to die sometime. I'd rather die doing something I love than die driving LA's 101, 405 or 5 Freeways.

Yes, tech diving does put you into situations which have added risk compared to recreational diving. However, with proper training it also puts you into gear and diving techniques that help minimize the risks involved.

I still dive air in tech diving scenarios, mainly because mixed gasses are very expensive and I'm just a lowly dive bum. Air is cheap... and not deadly if you take appropriate precautions.

JeffG:
Why not? Its funny.
Well it would be if it wasn't so frightening that some people think that way

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom