Teen considering diving; RI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIteen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey, Newbie here with a coupla questions!

I am a 17 year old Rhode Islander who is thinking about learning to dive. That is assuming I can get the 'rents to agree to it, and sign off all the paperwork, essentially saying if I die I'm SOL... okay, bad joke..

Anyway I am considering it, as I need something to do this summer, since I doubt any vacations are coming my way!

However I was wondering on a few things:

Any recommended Dive shops in Northern RI? A good track record and decent rates are a must! A big plus would be any that do 'bring a buddy discounts' if possible... If I do it, I might ask a family member if they want to do it as well....

Any recommended gear suited for New England waters? I wasn't sure if we are classified as Moderate, or Cold... I know the waters are pretty chilly in the summer.... Cheap but good is my philosophy... so nothing diamond studded!
---I know the standard gear I have to get initially are a mask, snorkel, fins and booties, as well as a dive knife (my own preference not to drown in a net!) However I think I might want to get my own wetsuit as well... not sure I like the idea of, essentially, sharing underwear! However, are gloves and hoods recommended up here?

Should I get my OW cert, what depth will that allow me? I have seen things saying both 60ft and 60metres.. big difference! I would be doing Air initially, maybe later cert in Nitrox if things warrant it..

Lastly, do you have to be Wreck Cert to dive on the exterior of wrecks (not wrecks like the Andrea Doria, but shallow easy ones,) or just to penetrate them? (boy that sounds dirty!)

Cheers folks.

You sound like you are headed towards becoming local diver (as opposed to a "vacation" diver). Yes!

Question all of the LDS' about 20 mi around you as to how many local dives they sponsor each year. OH crap, that is like all of RI.:D

Start saving for a drysuit.

I could throw a stone across RI... trouble is, getting the 'rents to drive me to find the stone! lol

1. exposure suit. Take the OW course and use what they give you (a 7 mil wetsuit most likely). Note water temp. and time of year you do the ocean "checkout" dives (or lake, wherever). See how cold you felt and go from there--everyone's different, but in NE and up here it's usually 7 mil wet or drysuit. Sometimes a little less in mid summer.
2. OW depth (recommended) limit is 60 feet. Advanced OW is 100', Deep Diver Cert. is the recreational diver limit of 130'. (PADI).
3.Wrecks: No cert necessary. Swimming around outside beware of sucking currents, sharp rusty points, tight quarters, common sense stuff. Penetration: Basic (PADI) Wreck course (at least the one I did) teaches very basic penetration under optimum conditions. You can get way more advanced with this. Never go in or under anything that prevents you from going straight up to the surface at any time, until you have training for that. I've heard this is maybe the biggest cause of diver deaths.

^ :) Lol

Why do I keep seeing the dollar signs building.... lol....

Also, does anyone know how hungry the sharks are up here? I know we do get Great Whites on occasion... My greatest fear is not drowning... but becoming dinner! I could drown in the bath, but becoming dinner is less likely (...that reminds me, I should probably take the Parana out of the bathtub before morning......... :) )

I haven't seen a shark yet in Nova Scotia. Or anywhere. Good.

^ :) Lol

Why do I keep seeing the dollar signs building.... lol....

Also, does anyone know how hungry the sharks are up here? I know we do get Great Whites on occasion... My greatest fear is not drowning... but becoming dinner! I could drown in the bath, but becoming dinner is less likely (...that reminds me, I should probably take the Parana out of the bathtub before morning......... :) )
Diving not something that is cheat to get into. I initial gear set out here which was all bought brand new ran me 5k the bulk of the cost was my drysuit running ~3k with taxes. But that here in Canada so i do not know what the prices will be like where you live. The biggest cost is the start up cost one you have your gear set your pretty much in the safe zone. Renting a full kit of gear here with a drysuit is going to run you ~$100 so in 50 dives the gear pays for itself and I'm already half way to my 50th dive so. It saves money quickly. Not to mention the comfort in knowning your gear inside and out what had been done in and to it.

Most thing will honestly leave you alone so long as you don't do something to provoke it this includes baiting the water. We really are not even worth the effort for a shark to eat and most cases of shark attacks there is either provocation or poor visibility conditions and anyone talking about being attacked by a shark I don't mean to be blunt but you were tasted and spit back out. If a shark wanted to eat you your lunch.

Well, I do suppose you have a point about the shark not liking what it tasted! I have heard they simply nimble to see what you are, but well... thats like saying an elephant stepped on your foot....

I bought mostly used stuff 7 years ago, washed it all thoroughly after each dive, and still use most of it. Keep patching the wetsuit. Don't want to encounter a shark anywhere--don't want to hope the viz is good enough he can see you. I'm not at all paranoid, but don't care to be anywhere near ANY of the big /dangerous nasties of the sea. They all look good on Discovery Channel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom