Teen drowns at North Texas scuba park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TxHockeyGuy:
Taking any students into any sort of an overhead environment, whether it qualifies as a swim through or not, is not what I would consider a great idea. That being said I have a problem with you insinuating that the entire park seems to not be interested in safety. I've met both of the owners and know that they are very concerned about the safety of the divers at the park and this accident has them very upset. I also dive at this park quite frequently and can say that safety does not take a back seat. The owners have setup a very safe park, the rest of your safety is up to you and your dive buddies. That being said accidents will still occur and they are just that, accidents. We do what we can to avoid them but you shouldn't be blaming "the park", there's nothing wrong with that park.

I am very sorry for the family's loss and I pray for them.

It really makes you think how any of us would react in an emergency situation. Even after training and knowing what to do in practice, real life is hard to practice.

I agree with you on the fact that safety is up to the divers to practice and not for a scuba park to dictate. There is only so much a park can do right?

The part that I do not agree with though and something they do have control over is setting up a "swim through" which IMHO is dangerous in many ways. It has entanglement potential, it has a narrowing opening as you swim towards the tail, it doesn't allow for a buddy to be next to you as you swim through. It is just not safe. After my kids were certified and we went to go see it, I wouldn't let them swim through it and I didn't either as a good example. It is fine for a sight seeing object, but should be modified to keep people from swimming through it for safety reasons.

Again, just my opinion considering this is primarily a teaching location.

In the short 6 years I have been back in diving I have participated in two rescues, and witnessed a drowning victim be pulled from the water and revived. I've also had a student panic on me during air sharing drills and had a couple more try to bolt to the surface during mask drills. This is definitely a sport that demands a cool head and attention to detail. It's very easy to reach that comfort zone where you start to take things for granted and forget your training.

If you haven't already taken a Rescue class I highly recommend that you do so. It will help you begin to see problems before they develop and prevent panic before it happens. Panic is the killer! A Rescue class and a CPR course will also give you the confidence to ACT in an emergency when time is the most important factor. CPR works! I've seen a driver brought back from deaths door with my own eyes and I'll never forget it.

[C] ****MOD Post****
Folks, I know that many of you are shocked & dismayed by the loss of this young lady but please respect the forum rules which include the following:

(4) No "condolences to the family" here

This forum is for the discussion of accidents and incidence, hence the forum title. All posts that are strictly condolence-related have been removed by me. It would be perfectly acceptable to to begin a thread in the Texas Swamp Divers forum for that purpose. I am sure that the family would appreciate it, should they visit SB.

Thank you
****MOD Post****

[/C]

Thanks, Marvel.

There is also a Passngs Forum where memorial threads can be started.

The latest info I've heard from people that were present that day was that she was breathing off her father's octo... the father lost his weight belt and went to the surface... they were not locked together and the reg was pulled from her mouth when he went up.

Blackguarding:
The latest info I've heard from people that were present that day was that she was breathing off her father's octo... the father lost his weight belt and went to the surface... they were not locked together and the reg was pulled from her mouth when he went up.

:confused:

That doesn't make sense.

TwoBitTxn:
:confused:

That doesn't make sense.

I agree I am not sure I understand why they would be doing this either unless there was some sort of emergency and if that was the case, it doesn't sound like it was handled correct at all.. I sure hope this wasn't caused just because they were practicing something and it went wrong.

Who knows for sure other than the Father what happened and I know we all feel for him and the rest of the family, but in 20' of water that explaination sounds really odd (dropping weights and all)..

rjsimp:
I agree I am not sure I understand why they would be doing this either unless there was some sort of emergency and if that was the case, it doesn't sound like it was handled correct at all.. I sure hope this wasn't caused just because they were practicing something and it went wrong.

It makes perfect sense to me that they would be practicing skills they had just learned that weekend, i.e. sharing air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom