Tell us about your pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM:
Yeah, why hasn't another manufacturer picked up the idea of X-shorts? Seems like there's a market for them. Hint, Tobin?

That would be nice. But right now I'd settle for some good pockets to mount to my wetsuit. I like the idea of the over-sized backing... seems like a good idea.

cool_hardware52:
We do not include the adhesive. NcNett Seal Cement, Contact Cement, Aquaseal.

I don't prefer the Aquaseal on neoprene.

The best recommendation I can make is to purchase the airspeedpress book:

http://www.airspeedpress.com/divesuit.html
Worth every penny.

My method:

1. Put on your suit

2. Mark the outline of the pocket backing

3. Take off your suit

4. Cut a piece of card board to shove down the leg of the suit. Adjust the size of this cardboard until the marked outline again matches the outline of the pocket.

5. Mask suit beyond glue zone for a better looking result.

6. Apply adhesive as per the adhesive makers recommendations. Again I prefer to just glue the outer 1/2 of the oversized backing.

7. Position pocket and weight down.

8. If you feel the need sew, a little or a lot.

Tobin

Tobin. can you explain (5)? Sorry, don't follow. Also interested in a response to Stephan's last question about preparing the wetsuit area (esp for a new suit). Thanks.

Rainer:
Tobin. can you explain (5)? Sorry, don't follow. Also interested in a response to Stephan's last question about preparing the wetsuit area (esp for a new suit). Thanks.

#5 Tape off the area surrounding the pocket outline. If (when?) you drip glue beyond the outline your suit won't look like snot when you are done.

Prepping (cleaning) the surface is always a good idea. Use a solvent that's compatible with the adhesive you plan to use. Try the cleaner on a spot that doesn't show first.
Witha wetsuit that has fabric on the outside there's only so much you can clean. Thinning the adhesive so it penetrates the fabric, at least for the initial coat or two is also a good idea.

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
#5 Tape off the area surrounding the pocket outline. If (when?) you drip glue beyond the outline your suit won't look like snot when you are done.

Prepping (cleaning) the surface is always a good idea. Use a solvent that's compatible with the adhesive you plan to use. Try the cleaner on a spot that doesn't show first.
Witha wetsuit that has fabric on the outside there's only so much you can clean. Thinning the adhesive so it penetrates the fabric, at least for the initial coat or two is also a good idea.

Tobin

Gotcha about taping off the area. I'd probably use Aquaseal just because I have some. Thoughts on a good cleaner? Also, have you had good luck transfering your pockets between suits?

Rainer:
Gotcha about taping off the area. I'd probably use Aquaseal just because I have some. Thoughts on a good cleaner? Also, have you had good luck transfering your pockets between suits?

Toluene will thin aquaseal. I'm not a fan of aquaseal for wetsuits as it tends to get brittle. NcNett seal cement, or regular contact cement would be my choice.

The oversized backing makes recovery of the pocket easy, just trim off the 1/2" that's glued down.

Tobin

I've glued a lot of wet suits back together and made a lot of knee pads, In my experience toluene is a good solvent when using wetsuit glue. Don't use aquaseal for a large area like a pocket because it stretches too little and will cause unwanted stress on the perimeter of the glued area. Wetsuit glue (which so many shops don't seem to sell, is needed). As to glueing, I would always put one thin coat of glue on each surface and let it completely dry for 6-8 hours, Then smear another thin coat on each surface and then wait 3-5 minutes until the surfaces are very tacky. Then carefully place the pocket/kneepad over desired area, It needs to be laid down slowly from one edge to the next so there are no wrinkles. When the glue is very tacky, there may be no "do-overs"; if you misalign the pieces they may be impossible to adjust once contact is made.

When placing the two pieces together, try to do it extremely gently initially which MAY allow you a small opportunity to re-adjust. Once the two pieces are together, it is very important to apply pressure for an hour or so. If I were to do a pocket, I would have a board or solid book inside the leg/hip area and then place another book over top of the patch and then stick 10-12 lbs of lead weights on the book to clamp the pocket on. If you follow these and other directions, the pocket will be very firmly attached and should not really need to be sewn. After 50 dives the edges may peel, but you can tack the edges down again with more glue. Putting holes in the suit by sewing, sounds like more risk than benefit, especially if you are just learning.

dumpsterDiver:
I've glued a lot of wet suits back together and made a lot of knee pads, In my experience toluene is a good solvent when using wetsuit glue. Don't use aquaseal for a large area like a pocket because it stretches too little and will cause unwanted stress on the perimeter of the glued area. Wetsuit glue (which so many shops don't seem to sell, is needed). As to glueing, I would always put one thin coat of glue on each surface and let it completely dry for 6-8 hours, Then smear another thin coat on each surface and then wait 3-5 minutes until the surfaces are very tacky. Then carefully place the pocket/kneepad over desired area, It needs to be laid down slowly from one edge to the next so there are no wrinkles. When the glue is very tacky, there may be no "do-overs"; if you misalign the pieces they may be impossible to adjust once contact is made.

When placing the two pieces together, try to do it extremely gently initially which MAY allow you a small opportunity to re-adjust. Once the two pieces are together, it is very important to apply pressure for an hour or so. If I were to do a pocket, I would have a board or solid book inside the leg/hip area and then place another book over top of the patch and then stick 10-12 lbs of lead weights on the book to clamp the pocket on. If you follow these and other directions, the pocket will be very firmly attached and should not really need to be sewn. After 50 dives the edges may peel, but you can tack the edges down again with more glue. Putting holes in the suit by sewing, sounds like more risk than benefit, especially if you are just learning.

All sound advice IMO

Tobin

Thanks again, Tobin... and all the others that have helped me learn a little bit about pockets. Much appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom