Tell Your Underwater Story

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stillhope

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
As always, I'm looking for short videos for my TV series "SEA-Inside: Pacific Northwest." I'm especially looking for ones featuring what's underwater in the Pacific Northwest. I have gotten pretty good responses from underwater photographers, but much less response from videographers.

Of course, the difference in size of both groups explains some of that. But if you're a videographer, editor, or producer, perhaps you can help by suggesting how I can (short of offering money) attract more videos. This is a non-profit project supported by volunteer effort.

I realize that editing video is a lot more work than just submitting photos, but hey, isn't the challenge of telling a story with moving pictures why you use a video camera instead of a still camera? I'm willing to help with the editing, with finding music, etc. If you live in the Puget Sound area, I'm even willing to interview you on camera (or you could film yourself).

I don't have a lot of requirements for the video (like a certain % underwater) -- and it can be a documentary or an art flick, or anything inbetween. The ideal video would offer TV viewers a story about something underwater they wouldn't have known about otherwise, preferably something that would make them think about being better stewards of our marine environment. There's a lot of room for creativity there.

Because of distribution restrictions the video can't be a commercial, and I have to make sure that you have licenses for any copyrighted music and model releases for any recognizable faces and don't violate any other copyright laws.

Here's your chance to show parts of the underwater world to a large audience of non-divers. Think about it -- what would you like to say to 3 million people?

For more info about the show, see the web site listed below.

The number of people shooting video, compared to the amount diving has to be quite small. Compound that with the people shooting video suitable for broadcast and it shrinks a lot more. Then the idea of editing as you well know is measured in tens of hours.

I've also spoken to very few videographers who shoot with the idea of a story in mind. Many are just recording their dives.

I wish you all the best in your endeavor. I try very hard to provide an outlet for those shooting cave video (or wreck video) and face many of the same issues.

-P

DocWong,
thanks for the link to your video. I'll PM you about it.

PerroneFord,
Thanks for the best wishes, and I hear what you're saying. One way I try to make the underwater world more accessible to TV viewers is to distribute my TV series via non-commercial channels. This means my content doesn't have to live up to commercial viability -- i.e. it doesn't have to be technically perfect and flashy, use the latest technology, nor does it have to involve sex or winning prizes (I hyperbolize, a little). That also makes my show more accessible to videographers who want to show people what they're seeing -- even (or especially) if they're still using SD, or if they don't have the experience of Walter Murch or Francis Ford Coppola.

I do have some quality standards, but they're very reachable and unlike a competition, I'm willing to help people reach them. I feel there are many, many simple stories of what's going on underwater that non-divers need to hear in order for our culture to shift in the direction of caring for our oceans. And I bring my network of divers and non-divers (editors, musicians, poets, etc.) together to do as much of this as I can. So far I have produced 14 episodes, with huge diversity of content and involvement on my part.

So, I certainly hope that some of you divers out there are interested in showing off your views of the blue planet and will consider submitting some of your imagery (or other talent) to my TV series. Think about story, but if that's not your thing, don't let that discourage you -- if necessary I can find a writer and editor to help your footage tell a story. Move the camera slowly and steadily if at all, shoot something interesting, and everything else is negotiable.

PerroneFord, I'd like to hear more about your efforts to provide an outlet for video.

Back
Top Bottom