Telling your dive buddies you may go Out of Air on this dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Schwaeble "So, I like the OP's question and all the replies. Good thread"
Me too, good replies
What have I learned from doing this drill?
1) If I take a big breath and let it out slowly, before doing an OOA drill, as my buddy gives me his reg, I'm going to start going up and flip up-side down, I don't normally take big deep breaths like that, and that's why I'm going up, connected to the donated octo.
2) If the "OOA diver" is going to do this drill he needs to be close to his buddy, like arms reach.
3) This drill should be no big deal to do, and be easy to complete and over with in seconds.
4) Why do I do a real word drill? If another diver goes OOA, I'm giving him air the way I've practiced, weather he likes it or not. That diver is getting a reg shoved in his mouth and purged, before he knows what happened. AKA, I know how to grab the reg so my finger is on the button as I shove it in his/her mouth. I don't want to be fumbling with hoses and grip angles or give the reg upside down or in any kind of odd angle. Smash it in perfect every time, in one single motion
5) I assume a panicked diver will grab what ever reg he can, so both of mine are inches from each other, If he takes the one out of my mouth I switch to the Octo on the necklaces, but in-general for the drill I donate the Octo and keep the primary, so as few divers are out of air at the same time. But that's another thread
Thanks.
Same neck of the woods btw.
Mixed feelings about "pushing in mouth" and purging a reg in someone elses mouth - like others pointed out.
Sort of a conflicting situation - don't do it because it is dangerous and can push water down their throat - and yet, one reads about divers taking a donated reg, not purging, panicking from the resulting "suck" and bolting up - so i am thinking - not knowing what difference it would make that donating (offering, louthpiece to them, right side up, that famed foot in front of their head) is better. Maybe purge there once if you don't have their attention yet, just to get it...
Now, if they don't take it, then push in mouth it is - I guess.

Anyway it is taught differingly and it is written about differingly.. (octo, long hose, pony, ... donate this or that if you have an option, but in reality be prepared to have ripped whatever is in your mouth out of your mouth (If I was a training agency and if i had the data to conclude that that is commonly happening I would probably train that way, don't see why not - but i am not and I don't know...) That is a bit confusing, although the idea is generally the same. It gets only tricky if the reg is not taken (confusion by the OOA diver or immersed in panic - or solution finding (maybe "where did my octo go thinking confused it's a reg issue.".)) or is taken w/o purging by the taker and ensuing panic...

I am not speaking from experience. Only seen and been involved in practice of various kinds (including rescue) and in dive extending donations along the way to even out big consumption difference a little - we called it practise to make it less offensive... I would honestly not know what to expect when I see a real OOA diver. I hope I won't find out, but like all of us (I hope), I prepare for whatever could come.

You are a solo diver, that means you are at least AOW, maybe not rescue. You learned self sufficiency in solo class. What you haven't learned yet (maybe) is that the doner is relatively passive until the donee is established on your air source. Remember, you are the one with plenty of air and a clear head. Let the out of air guy do what they need to get comfortable. You don't do anything for them except offer a regulator. Once they take it and are fumbling around with it, grab them nice and tight so they can't bolt and start up, controlling your and their buoyancy. Don't purge, don't get your hands near their mouth, don't tease them, don't tickle their bellies. Just make sure that when they are done and happy they aren't wrapped up in hoses and control the ascent.
You might mean me.
Yes, solo and rescue and ... and a little "playing with doubles and long hose and stage bottles" - but I called that off for now for even so I don't want to because I don't have the time to really dive tech and I decided if I do it something like two weekends a year or so I am not well versed in it (as in automatic and muscle memory) and therefore dangerous. And I did not feel like spending all that money and having all that equipment sit around for a couple of weekends a year either... It has to wait until I have time - or decide to just rec dive.
Anyway, you are right.

And I am just not far enough along in my diver-envolvement yet to freely admit how much of a dick I might be... :) and I have a teenager to "worry" about and maybe soon another and a wife (and getting the first diving kid to the point where I can trust him to help me with the other two until I can trust them...)
So, controlled practise is good...
Combat practise - the practise as you fight kind - with my wife (I mean underwater), likely never.
With the other two... not sure, we'll see, but I am not trying to get anyone to become an UW fighter... just a reliable, cool headed, fore-thoughtful, checking and planning diver, capable, trained and practised to do what may need to be done but mostly only if and when it needs to be done... and maybe dropping some of the in the diving sense other anoying life habits in the process ... like leaving the house, forgetting to lock etc... Scares the dickens out of me when I interpolate that sort of stuff to diving ... and then I catch myself having forgotten something... - keeps me on my feet...

You might mean me.
Yes, solo and rescue and ... and a little "playing with doubles and long hose and stage bottles" - but I called that off for now for even so I don't want to because I don't have the time to really dive tech and I decided if I do it something like two weekends a year or so I am not well versed in it (as in automatic and muscle memory) and therefore dangerous. And I did not feel like spending all that money and having all that equipment sit around for a couple of weekends a year either... It has to wait until I have time - or decide to just rec dive.
Anyway, you are right.

And I am just not far enough along in my diver-envolvement yet to freely admit how much of a dick I might be... :) and I have a teenager to "worry" about and maybe soon another and a wife (and getting the first diving kid to the point where I can trust him to help me with the other two until I can trust them...)
So, controlled practise is good...
Combat practise - the practise as you fight kind - with my wife (I mean underwater), likely never.
With the other two... not sure, we'll see, but I am not trying to get anyone to become an UW fighter... just a reliable, cool headed, fore-thoughtful, checking and planning diver, capable, trained and practised to do what may need to be done but mostly only if and when it needs to be done... and maybe dropping some of the in the diving sense other anoying life habits in the process ... like leaving the house, forgetting to lock etc... Scares the dickens out of me when I interpolate that sort of stuff to diving ... and then I catch myself having forgotten something... - keeps me on my feet...
I meant the OP, but it's important to know your own dickish level.... :D

Didn't read every post.. but I'll answer that I would be fine with it if he/she alerted me before the dive that they would like to practice a particular procedure. Just springing it on fellow divers unannounced when there isn't an emergency would obviously not be a good idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom