Temperature & Computer Algorithms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All the high-end computers from UWATEC, starting with the Aladin Air-X and moving on through the "smart" series (SmartCom, Smart-Z, Smart-Tec...) and now into the Galileo series, all use water temp in their algorithm. These air-integrated computers also use "how hard you are breathing" in the algorithm and now, with the Galileo series, they also use your heart-rate, if you are wearing the included heart rate monitor.

I share ianr33’s concern about this. I doubt that it is correct that UWATEC computers compensate their decompression algorithm for temperature. I of course do not know what UWATEC does explicitly since they have not been forthcoming in discussing that. They just say they use a “modified 8 compartment Buhlmann” without defining what “modified” is. They have said they take breathing rate into account. If anyone knows more about the UWATEC algorithm they can chime in.

The things that would make this tricky to model would be the dynamic levels of perfusion during a cold dive. As the diver chilled the perfusion of extremities would drop off causing the time constants for those tissues to increase. But chilling and perfusion of the extremities is going to be dependent on body mass, exposure protection and fatigue. Also chilling varies from place to place on the body. And there are other tissues, like the CNS, whose perfusion rates and time constants will be essentially independent of temperature. I think there are too many unknowns for a computer to arrive at a reasonable solution. Also I believe that Buhlmann’s m-values were all determined for warm subjects. They may not apply to a cold dive so there is no basis to calculate limits from.

This really comes back to the fact that divers should plan their own dives and not let computers do that for them. Becoming chilled over the course of the dive will raise your DCS risk as faster tissues convert to slower tissues. But that can be mitigated by staying farther away from NDL limits or padding the decompression on the way up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom