Teric Battery Drain - When OFF

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pretty quick turn-around from the USA service center. They got my Teric on Saturday and it's at the UPS store for return today. I haven't heard anything from them as to what they actually did, though. I assume there will be details with the computer.
Not a good assumption. Call them, and talk to them, is the best approach.

I was surprised to receive a return tracking number without having heard anything from them. I'll post whatever they include when it gets here.

I have a battery drain issue on my Teric that I purchased last November.
Mine has been sat ready to use this summer since then and simply out to top up the charge every 3 weeks or so and the firmware updated when available. It would at worst drop to 98% over a week and off but seemed to drop a little more following v17 firmware update. I did assume that v18 would fix this but following use whilst away the battery drop seems really high.

Just left it for 60 hours and it has dropped from 100% to 68% turned off and sitting on the side.

Just wondering if anyone based in the UK has had a similar issue and how it was dealt with. I have sent an email to Narked at 90 and also popped up a web form at Shearwater to ensure they are aware.

Other than this, it is a great computer and a massive step forward over my previous ones - although they are used for backup now.

Thanks .
I have sent my Teric off to Narked at 90 here in the UK.
Sent them an email today and was really surprised to get an email back today with RMA so fingers crossed it will be good as new in a week or so.

I was surprised to receive a return tracking number without having heard anything from them. I'll post whatever they include when it gets here.
The Teric is back home today, with a new battery, circuit board, and depth sensor, in addition to various bits and pieces. For all intents and purposes, a new unit.

Our Terics are our everyday wear and are dived several time (4-8) times a week, year round. However even when charged to 100% and turned “off” and on the dresser they can loose 40-50% of that charge within 24 hours. We are both on our second Terics as a result of this issue.

This kind of battery drain can not be what Shearwater expects.

Have any battery, or other, changes been made in more recent versions of the hardware?

Ours are hardware 25016-02 A and 25016-01 A and both at firmware v18.

Thanks.

Yes these need to be serviced. My teric was losing 3-4%/day which Shearwater said was normal but that I should keep an eye on it. After a bit of time it would drop, while turned off, by 10%/day. I had it serviced and now can be 99% two days after turning it off. Shearwater service was terrific, but there does appear to be an issue with some of the earlier batteries. My Teric was about 18 months old.

They also changed the circuit board because they felt the drain may have been because of a broken transmitter wire. So make sur eto back up your logged dives in case they need to change the board.

Pretty quick turn-around from the USA service center. They got my Teric on Saturday and it's at the UPS store for return today. I haven't heard anything from them as to what they actually did, though. I assume there will be details with the computer.

Yeah, when I had to have my Teric serviced I sent it from Philly to Seattle. Took about 5 days to get there, and a week to get back. The actual time at the service center was super quick. Service was excellent. My Teric had a sheet of paper telling me what was done.

My wife's Teric began having terrible battery drain issues a few weeks back. Would go from 100% to 80% in two days. Hers was actually out of warranty but the repaired it anyway.
Apparently it had one of the original boards in it that could not even be depth tested now. (something about was wired from the left and now they are wired from the right)
When speaking to the gentleman who repaired it he said that the battery issue came from the fact that Shearwater was expecting to sell 1000 Terics a month and it ended up being about 15 times that amount and the battery producer couldn't keep up and let quality slip.
Anyway, they made good on it, and it is on it's way back to me today.
Awesome company!

Back
Top Bottom