Teric vs Mk3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver-6873

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I wanted to get some input from members who have used Terics from their launch and who have recently used, tried, or just played with the Mk3s as a dive watch. Not land sport extensive but some walking and maybe health features would be “nice”.

I’m more interested in your experiences with the watch as an OC, Enriched Air, recreational (today, maybe tech tomorrow) DAILY dive computer … 6-10 dives per week year round often ~100-110ft MOD.

I wanted to get some input from members who have used Terics from their launch and who have recently used, tried, or just played with the Mk3s as a dive watch. Not land sport extensive but some walking and maybe health features would be “nice”.
Those features are non-existent on the Teric. Teric is strictly a dive computer, if you are looking at daily wear with activity/smart features, then this is a no-brainer. The Garmin would be the choice.

I've been using a Garmin MK2s for the past couple years. Has held up well with daily wear. The Garmin also offers different sizes. The Teric and full-size MK2/3 are just too big for my liking.

For me, the MK2s is my backup to my SW Perdix AI. It matches up real well and even has SurfGF which I've come to really like. Both are way more DC than I really need.

A couple of notes on the two. I researched the Teric quite a bit before buying the Perdix.
GPS: Not present on the Teric. Real good and accurate on the Garmin.
Compass: Present on both. I like the Garmin compass better than the Perdix version. Teric has the floating markers on the main screen which the Garmin does not.
AI: Both have it. Teric uses the relatively standard PPS type, while the Garmin version is proprietary. I'm not a big fan of the different methods of transmission above and below the water, but seems not too many issues. The new T2 is pretty cool if other divers are also using Garmin's.
Battery: Both use rechargeable batteries. Garmin has a proprietary clip, Teric uses standard cordless charging. But, I'm not 100% that the battery issues are resolved. That shouldn't pose an issue with diving, though, you'll just need to charge it more. By comparison, my MK2s battery has been very stable. A couple weeks ago I had high battery drain. Something got stuck running in the background, a soft reset fixed it and now it's back to how it was. I really don't notice a difference from Day 1.
UI: Garmin UI is a bit more challenging out of the box. I can't really hand off my Garmin with no instruction to another to see if they can change a gas mix. I've done that with my Perdix. But, as the Garmin is also a good daily wear watch, it soon becomes second nature.

Thanks for the reply … why I forgot to mention is that I know the Terics very well. Both my DPFL and I are on our fifth ones due to various issues since launch but always well taken care of from Shearwarer support. The lack of a floating compass on the main dive screen is unfortunate and may be a showstopper for me .,,. Not sure. I need to see/read more about the compass and display for when diving. . .

See if you might be able to play with both. I wasn't really a fan of the compass on the Perdix, but I really do like the compass on the Garmin, even though they are relatively similar. My main concern is with an AI computer, I didn't want the compass to cover up my gas pressure information. I'm not sure if the MK3 will allow that displayed on the compass screen, though. For sure, the Teric floating compass is very nice.

I use a Garmin Descent G1 and a Shearwater Perdix. Both excellent and very similar in NDL etc. I am sure the MK3 is even better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom