test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Geography:

The Philippines consists of 7,107 islands, although the largest 11 islands account for 94% of total land mass. The islands are divided into 3 groups: Luzon, Visayas, and Mindinao. The PI is split into regions, and further into provinces. The PI also lies within the coral triangle. Below is the regional map:

pimap.gif

Read more about it in wikipedia!​

Weather:

Pagasa DOST: The most accurate weather indicator in the PI. Download the PDF and search for the closest city to your diving destination.
Typhoon tracker: Tracks typhoons from Naga City (Eastern Luzon).
Weatherbug: Click on the relevant city.
All Met Stat - Philippine Climate: Use this one for annual precipitation.

NOTE: Traditionally, the wet season for most places is June -> November. There is little to no rainfall and typhoons outside of these months. However, lately the weather has been screwy with either the wet or dry season extending it's time period. Thanks global climate change!

By area, Luzon gets more rain than the Visayas and Mindinao. The Visayas & Mindinao get significantly less rainfall and pretty much consistent rainfall throughout the year. The Eastern Coast of the PI gets significantly more rainfall than the rest of the PI and have an opposite wet season (Dec -> May). So again:

Eastern Coast >>>>> Luzon >> Visayas & Mindinao​

The wet season does not hinder diving operations, it just means more chance of rain. Typhoons are the problem, so if there's one brewing here's what you need to know:
* The eastern areas (Surigao, Siargao, Samar, Leyte, Sogod) will most likely be affected
* The main island Luzon (La Union, 100 Islands, Anilao, & Subic) might get affected, but should hopefully be ok (typhoons hit Luzon way up north most of the time).
- If you're diving in the above areas, be aware of the weather patterns and typhoon direction.
* The Visayas and Mindinao get less rainfall and typhoons, diving during the wet season shouldn't factor into your vacation plans unless there's a significant weather warning.

Check this out:
climatechangee.jpg

PAGASA

Destinations falling in the Type III and IV areas of Visayas and Mindinao are the safest bet if you're really anal about the weather.

The FAQ

* Q: Can you give me some dive locales I can look up?

Luzon:
Anilao
Apo Reef #
Bauan
Bolinao
Coron +
El Nido
Puerto Galera
Puerto Princesa
Subic Bay +
La Union
Ticao Island #

Visayas:
Antique
Apo Island
Bohol (Cabilao & Alona area)
Boracay
Dumaguete / Dauin
Mactan Cebu
Moalboal
Malapascua #
Siquijor
Sogod Bay #

Mindinao:
Camiguin & Cagayan De Oro
Davao
Sarangani Bay
Surigao

Liveaboards:
Tubbataha Reef #
Apo Reef #
Apo Reef / Coron

+ : known for wreck diving
# : has regular pelagics

* Q: Do you have street maps of the different locales?

A couple:
- Alona Beach with links
- Anilao
- Coron
- Dumaguete or here.
- Puerto Galera - the map misses a lot of resorts, but it will get you started on your search.

* Q: Do you have dive site maps for different locales?

Sure do! http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/philippine-paradise-divers/162138-dive-sites-maps-philippines.html and http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ph...204778-mapping-pi-dive-sites-google-maps.html
(Courtesy of Boljakool and Pakman)

* Q: I need DAN info and hyperbaric chamber info! Help me!

DAN contact: +632-771-9245
Suite 210 Medical Office Building
Asian Hospital and Medical Center
2205 Civic Drive, Muntinlupa City, Manila

Hyperbaric Chambers: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ph...dan-seap-hyperbaric-chambers-philippines.html (Note: the subic chamber is not working)
In depth info on hyperbaric chambers in Manila: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/philippine-paradise-divers/353772-manila-hyperbaric-chambers.html

* Q: Extended Visa - I'm staying longer than 21 days - how can I extend my visit????

Immigration fees: Bureau of Immigration, Philippines - VISA EXTENSION FEES
Immigration Offices: Bureau of Immigration, Philippines - BI - Subport Offices

You can also apply for the visa extension straight away at the customs counter once you arrive in country. Check this discussion thread out: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ph...3037-extended-visa-needed-29-day-trip-pi.html.

* Q: How do you say "XXXX" in Filipino?....

First, take a look at WOWphil's useful phrases. If you can't find it there, take a look at our translation thread and feel free to ask for a translation.

Also, here's a Filipino-English dictionary and a language lesson index.

* Q: Can you give me a list of dive shops that sell equipment in Manila or Cebu????

Sure, check this out for Manila and this for Cebu.

* Q: I need a resource for Marine life in the PI, can you help?

You can thank our Barangay Kapitan for this thread.

* Q: I'm going to "X" during "Y" month. Will the weather be ok? or I'm afraid of bad weather, is it ok to go during "Y" month?

For the most part, YES - but we're NOT magic shamans that can predict the weather. Check this post to help you. Be aware of typhoons.

* Q: What's the best time to dive and visit the PI?

See above. Diving is a year round activity in the PI. Be aware of typhoons. Traditionally the summer months in the PI are March-April.

* Q: How can I get to "X" destination?

Check out the transportation thread. You can save A LOT if you take the public transport system but you will also sacrifice comfort. If you're willing to pay a premium for added comfort or public transport is not your cup of tea, we suggest you ask the resort to arrange a private transfer to your destination.

* Q: I have 1-4 days only and I'm arriving into Manila / Cebu - where should I go?

Many diving destinations in the PI requires some travel. If you fly in from Manila, the closest well known dive destinations are:
* Anilao/Bauan (2.5 hr land)
* Subic (2.5 hr land)
* Puerto Galera (2 hr land, 1 hr outrigger)

For Cebu, the closest well-known dive destinations are:
* Mactan (25 mins land )
* Moalboal (3 hrs land)
* Bohol (10 mins to the port, 2 hours fastcraft, 25 mins land to Alona)

Wait a minute - you can fly to some destinations and be diving in no time! (ie Davao)
Yes, in the end time spent traveling is just one aspect to consider when choosing a dive locale. Notice for the above mentioned that you avoid fly time, which is crucial to minimize off-gassing time. You also avoid the standard 1hr before flight and 40 min after arrival waiting for luggage - x2 for both ways. It will really come down to how you wish to manage your actual dive time vs. travel time.

* Q: I'm in Manila and only have a day for diving! Where should I go?

Anilao: best to hook up with a PPDer who might be going for the day or with a dive group - Divenet and MAK diver. Note - you might be out of luck if it's a weekday (then go to Subic).

Subic: hop on a victory bus from Cubao to Olangapo (3 hour). Take a trikie to the dive shop you made reservations with.

* Q: I want to work as a Scuba Divemaster/Instructor in the PI, where can I look for employment?

If you have no training check this thread out to knock you back to reality. Best to think about doing an internship or getting trained up to instructor first (see next question) as instructors have a better chance of employment.

* Q: I want to do my Divemaster/Instructor training in the PI, where should I do it?

There are many places you can choose, but here's a thread to help you out: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ph...uestion-best-place-dm-course-philippines.html.

* Q: The PPD is awesome! Do you guys have regular meet ups?

Check out our Dive-O-Rama Subforum for upcoming get togethers!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom