Tg-5 rig set up.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why would you buy a macro lens? The camera can focus to it's lens and more. We hardly ever sell one for that camera as it's built-in capabilities are so good. Especially with the Kraken Ring Light for microscope mode.

P8020004_1603_edited-1 (Medium).JPG

This is microscope mode no housing/strobe

Hi all, I am curious what your opinions of the Olympus housing vs. the Ikelite housing are for the tg-5?

Hi all, I am curious what your opinions of the Olympus housing vs. the Ikelite housing are for the tg-5?

This early in the game I'd say about $450. But seriously, I had an Ikelite housing for my Olympus C4040 and it worked just fine. My early take on the PT058, having only used it on seven dives so far, is that it works fine. I can see the latching mechanism being a potential weak point because it's a little clumsy to operate but we'll have to wait and see.

We had an Ikelite for a different point & shoot (Panasonic), and both my wife & I really disliked the Ikelite housing. The buttons were hard to use, particularly the shutter button trying to achieve a half-press. We always rinsed our housings and soaked them at the end of a trip. Secondly the grip with one hand was poor. We have a tray with 1 strobe, so balancing the camera with just the right hand meant using a strong grip when using the Ikelite housing.

Our reaction was completely the opposite for the Olympus housing for the TG4. We both love the housing. Great grip with one hand, easy half-shutter actuation. Buttons are labeled and are easy to use. I like the removable shade for the LCD screen. We don't regret our decision to sell the Ikelite+Panasonic in favor of the all-Olympus setup. We still use the TG4 setup occasionally even though we now have OMD-M1s.

Thank you for the feedback! I had actually already ordered the ikelite case, but if I have the same experience as you did with the tg-4 case, I'll sell it and order the Olympus. Fingers crossed that because it's a new case release they fixed some of the issues you point out.

Back
Top Bottom