Thai Law concerning Dive Guides

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hope that was not me? That's the ticket I will now insist that MV Trident provides my own private guide on all dives beyond 40M. Thanks for the idea Jamie.:D

Guess not since I am only famous in my own mind. :(

John

No , not you, John, the one I meant is on telly a lot...........

Judging by some of those that I was ascined to last year as dive guides, maybe it would be a better option to give the job to the locals, they may take a bit more interest in the customer.

Judging by some of those that I was ascined to last year as dive guides, maybe it would be a better option to give the job to the locals, they may take a bit more interest in the customer.

I saw a couple of excellent local divers in Thailand, some complete without certificate. But they were not much interested in Farang tourists.
I saw some others who do it just for the money without 1 Millimeter interest/love in what they are doing.

but one main problem...for example you are a German tourist....English is OK but you are not used to it. Than you have a Thai DM who does not speak perfect....Or a German DM....What would you choose if you feel anyway not safe?

Penguintom
With regards to your judgment - unfortunately there are not many locals with good language and diving skills working in the Industry here. It would be great if there was more of a choice as it would be much easier for the Industry with regards to working legally.

Believe it or not, there are also many highly professional foreigners working in the dive Industry here in Thailand. Most of them with multilingual skills as well as vast diving experiences from all over the world. Language skills are also vitally important for those visiting who cannot communicate in English.

Penguintom
With regards to your judgment - unfortunately there are not many locals with good language and diving skills working in the Industry here. It would be great if there was more of a choice as it would be much easier for the Industry with regards to working legally.

Believe it or not, there are also many highly professional foreigners working in the dive Industry here in Thailand. Most of them with multilingual skills as well as vast diving experiences from all over the world. Language skills are also vitally important for those visiting who cannot communicate in English.

I have dived at several locations (not including Thailand) and have generally had local dive guides, yes at times their English has been less than perfect, but once underwater language skills are really irrelevant, I have never had lack of language skills cause me a problem whilst diving, but have experienced numerous problems from, European (generally English) dive pro's in Thailand.

Yes PT, you should understand them because you are English - what about tourists who are not and cannot communicate in English? There are many who come here to either complete a course(s) or to do some dives as certified divers. In my experience they insist on having a pro who could teach/guide them in their own language.

This is why we invest in work permits for foreign Instructors. Believe me it would be a lot easier and cheaper if we did not have to.

Last edited:
Yes PT, you should understand them because you are English - what about tourists who are not and cannot communicate in English? There are many who come here to either complete a course(s) or to do some dives as certified divers. In my experience they insist on having a pro who could teach/guide them in their own language.

This is why we invest in work permits for foreign Instructors. Believe me it would be a lot easier and cheaper if we did not have to.

For an instructor, yes I agree totally, but I thought the thread was about dive guides? My posts certainly were.
When instructing good communication is paramount, but someone can lead certified divers with very limited language skills. Maybe you could train up some locals and save yourself some cash?

No enforced law....(in Thailand you never know what old laws exist, they never cancel laws they just don't enforce them anymore, which is very strange).

That's very common in a lot of places. There's a law in my city (US) that a "horseless carriage" (car) has to be preceeded by a man on foot or horseback, carrying a lantern.

It hasn't been enforced in the past hundred years or so, but I suspect if you annoyed a police officer enough, he could use it to give you a hard time until the charges were dismissed.

Terry

That's very common in a lot of places. There's a law in my city (US) that a "horseless carriage" (car) has to be preceeded by a man on foot or horseback, carrying a lantern.

It hasn't been enforced in the past hundred years or so, but I suspect if you annoyed a police officer enough, he could use it to give you a hard time until the charges were dismissed.

Terry

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:
A few years ago, they found out that in UK (maybe just a few universities) there was still the law to come with your sword to the final exam :rofl3::rofl3:

Also not enforced for a while

Back
Top Bottom