Thai Law concerning Dive Guides

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Besides the fact that most day trip and live-aboard operators do not allow their dive crew to plan and conduct stage deco diving it's also true that most DM's are simply not qualified to plan and conduct such stage deco diving.

In my experience I agree entirely, I have never anywhere in the world as a diving customer at a PADI based DC been offered such an oportunity, and in some cases when diving unsupervised with my buddy from a boat have indeed been criticised by staff for going into deco, despite having ample training, knowledge and experience to do so. (eg: See my post 143 in the Mermaids or Aquanauts? thread)
Maybe it is something shops could consider, by offering such an additional service I can only see it as beneficial to both shops and customers alike. It certainly would not deter custom.
Personally I can not see the problem as the type of instance that I am refering to with single cylinder dives would generally mean that the 3 minute safety stop that we all do at the end of a deep dive actually will become a necesity rather than a recomendation, or at worse be increased to 5 or 6 minutes.
Would it not be worth giving dive guides that little bit more training to get happier customers?

Would it not be worth giving dive guides that little bit more training to get happier customers?

I think PADI sees this as the thin red line between recreational and technical diving. It's also where their Tec-Rec program starts and the "fun-diving" disappears.
Or, where the "fun" starts and the crowds disappear.....
:crafty:

The deco is in itself not an issue, but yes in situations when dive guides are bringing customers (that are qualified to do so) to the surface because an NDL is aproaching whan ample air supply remains and the dive could have been continued within safe limits, it is.

Worse is when divers and dive guides rush to the surface because an NDL is approaching because they're convinced they'll get bent and spend the rest of their lives in a wheelchair.

Even worse example of being brainwashed by numbers is that of a diver I saw who nearly drowned on the surface at the Hardeep. She didn't even bother to try to inflate her BCD because she had less than 50 bar of gas.

Goes back to the old point, the more you know the better diver you is, so get signed up for tec quickly, it'll improve your recreational diving no end.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom