Thai Law concerning Dive Guides

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe you could train up some locals and save yourself some cash?[/QUOTE

I can assure you that many dive centers all over Thailand train up locals in order to encourage them to work in the industry. We would be bumbling idiots not to. Also an Instructor here is more employable than a Divemaster since they can do both jobs. So this thread is very relevant to Instructors as well.

Obviously you have limited knowledge on the market here. For example would you supply a tourist who does not understand a word of English with a local guide/instructor as opposed to someone who can communicate with them in their own language?

If I may ask a question to the dive professionals that subscribe here, particularly those that run shops.
When it comes to dive guides, why do they need to be affiliated to only one organisation? (generally PADI).
Would it not be possible to have dive guides trained further than the restrictions placed on divers by PADI training, in particular doing deco diving which to some diver training agencies is the norm.
Here I am certainly not endorsing taking just anyone on any dive, simply having staff that are capable and willing to fullfill the requirements of the more experienced customers?

If I may ask a question to the dive professionals that subscribe here, particularly those that run shops.
When it comes to dive guides, why do they need to be affiliated to only one organisation? (generally PADI).
Would it not be possible to have dive guides trained further than the restrictions placed on divers by PADI training, in particular doing deco diving which to some diver training agencies is the norm.
Here I am certainly not endorsing taking just anyone on any dive, simply having staff that are capable and willing to fullfill the requirements of the more experienced customers?

thailand try to push CMAS from time to time, but PADI try to block that successful.
There were the rumors that a PADI DC can't be any agency at the same time, which seems to be a wrong information but I still hear it from time to time.
I got told that a PADI 5 Star center is not allowed to teach CMAS in the same rooms. That might be the reason why Thailand is almost only PADI.

There are also many SSI DC's in Thailand.

But it is no problem at all if an instructor/DM is affiliated with more than one organisation. Why would you presume that is a problem?

There are also many SSI DC's in Thailand.

But it is no problem at all if an instructor/DM is affiliated with more than one organisation. Why would you presume that is a problem?

I dont think it is a problem, simply a question/observation as a customer, and I am not refering to tech diving , simply single cylinder air/nitrox dives that are easilly accomodated on all dive boats.
Its just about using up your air and getting the most from a dive for those customers that want to and have the relevant experience.
I have never come across this option myself at any Thai dive shop.

Padi offers decotraining just as other agencies.

So your real question is about decodiving, which has nothing to do with the agency affiliation of the divemaster/instructor.
For decodiving there are plenty of options here in the area, as I'm sure there are all over Thailand.

I don't see the connection between using up your air and diving though. Again no connection with decodiving and/or agency affiliation.

So your real question is about decodiving, which has nothing to do with the agency affiliation of the divemaster/instructor.
For decodiving there are plenty of options here in the area, as I'm sure there are all over Thailand.

I don't see the connection between using up your air and diving though. Again no connection with decodiving and/or agency affiliation.

I can't see deco on Padis webpage. Where do they offer it?
(we are not speaking about technical diving)

It is not the training issue that my question related to. Simply a thought if proffesional dive guides were familiar with standards from more than one agency (of course generally PADI) they could cater better for individual diving customers requirements.
The deco is in itself not an issue, but yes in situations when dive guides are bringing customers (that are qualified to do so) to the surface because an NDL is aproaching whan ample air supply remains and the dive could have been continued within safe limits, it is.
The question was simply why cut a dive short when there is no need to do so, by having better trained dive guides many customers could be better catered for.

The deco is in itself not an issue, but yes in situations when dive guides are bringing customers (that are qualified to do so) to the surface because an NDL is aproaching whan ample air supply remains and the dive could have been continued within safe limits, it is.

Besides the fact that most day trip and live-aboard operators do not allow their dive crew to plan and conduct stage deco diving it's also true that most DM's are simply not qualified to plan and conduct such stage deco diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom