Thailand What to wear??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I will be going to Thailand next month wondering if anyone can offer any advice on what clothes to bring? It is going to be hot and from my understanding the culture does not tolerate the "lack of" clothes very well ie: shorts, sandles, tank tops...
I was thinking that I might purchase clothes for my trip when I arrive.

No worries. Wear shorts, sandals and tank tops and you'll look like everyone else. If you go to a temple you need to cover up but pretty much everywhere else is ok.

SteveDiver:
I will be going to Thailand next month wondering if anyone can offer any advice on what clothes to bring? It is going to be hot and from my understanding the culture does not tolerate the "lack of" clothes very well ie: shorts, sandles, tank tops...
I was thinking that I might purchase clothes for my trip when I arrive.
A little tip, wear sandals that go on and off easy. It is customary to remove footwear in many shops, buildings etc. Flip-flops are the best.

If you are just going to be at a dive resort or on a boat and will not travel throughout the country, you don't need much. Just shorts and t-shirts, plus flip-flops.

If you are going to tour, I'd say take a couple of pairs of trousers (or use the zip-leg kind that turn into shorts/trousers), and shirts with sleeves. You will honor the locals by dressing more conservatively (covering up) while you visit their cities and towns. Also, if you are planning to visit the palace in Bangkok, you will need shoes that attach to your heels, not flip-flops (though teva-type sandals with straps in the back are okay).

Lots of people just buy lightweight trousers in the style of fishermen's pants and gauzy shirts at the markets once they arrive so that they can visit temples and go to restaurants "decently" covered.

Lets put it this way... most of the locals in the beach area are casual but not to the point of casual nudity. Most of us would avert our eyes when the er.. ampled bodied caucasian females of the beached whale variety waddling around the beach exposing their warez for all and sundry.

Having said that it is very nice of you to ask around here. Too many visitors just flaunt their attitudes with little regard for local customs.

If it was me going, I'd definately be wearing a huge SMILE :D

If I may jump to this thread...
Should one take medicine against Malaria when traveling to Thailand.
Thanks

bring a bottle of anti mosquito repellent or you can just purchase it while you get there

escapedia:
If I may jump to this thread...
Should one take medicine against Malaria when traveling to Thailand.
Thanks

Probably not. It just depends on where you're going in addition to diving.

This is from the CDC website http://www.cdc.gov/travel/regionalmalaria/seasia.htm

"Thailand: Limited risk in the areas that border Cambodia, Laos, and Burma. No risk in cities and major tourist resorts (Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Pattaya, Phuket Island, and Ko Samui.)"

I was in Bangkok and Phuket a year ago and wore nothing but t shirts, shorts, and sandels (except when I was in a wetsuit!). I didn't take any mosquito repellent, nor did I need any. I wish I was going because it was the best vacation I ever took: great diving, food, beaches, and all very inexpensive.

By the way, Quero, I don't know if you remember me but I was on a liveaboard with you Feb '05. Mermaid 2 (Hin Daing Hin Muang, then the Similans). Actually, I think you may have left before we went up to the Similans to catch a boat going to Burma. God how I loved that trip. Anyway, I hope you're well and it was great diving with you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom