Thank you Martin at Rescuean!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But since you just pointed out that most divers dont dive with O2, do you think they're suddenly going to start after reading this?

Actually I do. I believe that more divers will start to think about what they will do should a diving emergency occur. This stands to benefit everyone.

I see that you prefer to dance around my question rather than answer it. So one more time for you: would you mind detailing exactly what your kit consists of and the benefits it provides vs. this system?

I'm not "dancing around" at all John. If you care to review my comments (and the material provided by the manufacturer and the OP) you will see that the focus is on divers using enriched-air Nitrox, not CCR or Air divers. Referring to this, I have responded that 100% O2 is preferred to 32% O2 in a medical emergency. This is a known fact. As a CCR diver you've twisted this to suit your argument.

The delivery system make, model or colour isn't as important as what it's delivering. The manufacturer has stated that this unit is not designed as a replacement for medical O2, but to supplement it. You've modified its use to what you have with CCR. Good for you.

Ok, so you've answered the first part of the question: You have a 14 cft bottle. On my CCR I have a 19cft bottle and we often have at least one 40 cft bottle as well. So typically we will have more O2 available than what your kit contains. PLUS, we could use bottles anyone else had as well. Can your kit do that?

I often have a lot more O2 than that available when I dive using specialized equipment, but as I don't really consider this equipment mainstream for recreational diving, it's a mute point. An emergency O2 kit can deliver 100% oxygen to all divers who suffer a diving injury; including those diving air or nitrox. This unit (as I understand it) is primarily designed to deliver 32% O2 to Nitrox divers.

John, if this unit will suit your needs, great! All I'm saying is that most people don't use a CCR and therefore don't have 100% O2 available. This unit is was not primarily designed to provide 100% O2, nor is it intended to replace an O2 kit. To quote the manufacturer: "The pod acts as an effective back-up to the Emergency Oxygen Kit." I think it's a great idea, but is has a limited application in most diving scenarios. That said, I think it will be a valuable addition to my dive kit.

Last edited:
That's all anyone has been saying in this whole thread , you really need an O2 kit, and this device can supplement that.
it might not deliver 100% O2 but saying that that is the problem with this unit is missing the point of it
It's a resource for adding to the available O2 supply, what do you do if your or their O2 tank is runs empty? you now have options

After Denise's accident thread, there may be more people with an O2 kit. But ... there are also those that will have this where they would not have had anything before, that is also better ... kudos to rescuean for making that possible

I planned to use it with my 02 100% AL 40 deco bottle. How does that differ from an 02 kit? I really don't understand?
Be sure to attach an inflator hose to your deco reg. Most don't have that.

Personally, I think this is a great idea. It's simple, compact and easy enough to carry for the individual diver. It also includes a barrier mask so that you are prepared to give CPR and use it. I don't think I would spend the time to hook up the EAN portion if the victim is in cardiac arrest though. Perhaps if I had another person assemble that while I was performing CPR, but I wouldn't stop to do it unless they were breathing.

That being said, I carry a two full 02 kits in my trunk already, 24/7. However, at $35/each, I think I will pop a couple of these in my trunk as well. I have breathed off of my NitrOx bottle after a dive if I felt fatigued, but the reg in mouth is a bit much. The mask would be a bit more comfortable I think and I won't sound like Darth Vader! :D

That's all anyone has been saying in this whole thread , you really need an O2 kit, and this device can supplement that.
it might not deliver 100% O2 but saying that that is the problem with this unit is missing the point of it
It's a resource for adding to the available O2 supply, what do you do if your or their O2 tank is runs empty? you now have options

After Denise's accident thread, there may be more people with an O2 kit. But ... there are also those that will have this where they would not have had anything before, that is also better ... kudos to rescuean for making that possible

I agree, but it's important to keep in mind that the victim ultimately requires 100% O2 regardless of the delivery system; anything less is inferior to this. The cost of the basic unit (with pocket mask) is about $128.00 U.S. plus shipping.

Killing the cat, what is this for?

Neutralization of nematocysts caused by Jellyfish or Fire Coral stings. You can also use acetic acid (vinegar) or isopropyl alcohol.

I agree, but it's important to keep in mind that the victim ultimately requires 100% O2 regardless of the delivery system; anything less is inferior to this. The cost of the basic unit (with pocket mask) is about $128.00 U.S. plus shipping.
Compared to Dan's cheapest O2 kit at $522.50 (Tiny bottle, and you have to fill it with 02)

601-4000.jpg

Compared to Dan's cheapest O2 kit at $522.50

That's a good point Pete, but like I've said, refurbished O2 kits are available from various ambulance companies and suppliers for $150 that fit the bill. New units are available for $350 and I also mentioned the DAN unit at the high end.

I'm not taking anything away from this unit, but at $128.00 emergency O2 is another consideration; especially when anything less than 100% O2 is second best. If you dive air this unit isn't going to help at all.

I agree with the manufacturer that this unit is designed to supplement emergency O2 not replace it. It does seem to provide positive augmentation to what I currently use and I intend on investigating this further.

Neutralization of nematocysts caused by Jellyfish or Fire Coral stings. You can also use acetic acid (vinegar) or isopropyl alcohol.
Thanks! Not meaning to hijack, but, any particular brand and what is the main ingredient that does the trick?

I believe that more divers will start to think about what they will do should a diving emergency occur. This stands to benefit everyone.
On this part we agree.
I'm not "dancing around" at all John.
Rather than answering the question I asked, you responded by saying "I don't think I need to outline the benefits of 100% O2 in treatment of a diving accident to a diver who dives a CCR."

I did not ask you the benefits of 100% O2. That was not my question and yes, I consider your response to be an attempt to dance around and avoid answering it.

If you care to review my comments (and the material provided by the manufacturer and the OP) you will see that the focus is on divers using enriched-air Nitrox, not CCR or Air divers. Referring to this, I have responded that 100% O2 is preferred to 32% O2 in a medical emergency. This is a known fact. As a CCR diver you've twisted this to suit your argument.
I'm not the one who brought up the fact that I'm a CCR diver, you did. If you care to review my comments, you will see that I noted most of the divers I know (cave divers) have 100% O2 on hand for deco purposes. Actually as a CCR diver I now typically have less O2 (19cf) on hand than I did as OC (40cf+) because we use it more efficiently, but I always have it now vs. only sometimes on OC.

And if you review materials by the manufacturer you will see:
The pod acts as an effective back-up to the Emergency Oxygen Kit - especially if it is already in use, becomes exhausted or is simply unavailable at the time of the emergency. In these situations, the pod could become the primary rescue aid.

The delivery system make, model or colour isn't as important as what it's delivering.
I didn't ask you any of those things. Once again you're dancing around questions in an attempt to redirect the conversation to your point of view.

The manufacturer has stated that this unit is not designed as a replacement for medical O2, but to supplement it. You've modified its use to what you have with CCR. Good for you.
I haven't modified anything. The manufacturer states that it can be used as a back up, and in some situations it can become a primary rescue aid.
The pod acts as an effective back-up to the Emergency Oxygen Kit - especially if it is already in use, becomes exhausted or is simply unavailable at the time of the emergency. In these situations, the pod could become the primary rescue aid.

I often have a lot more O2 than that available when I dive using specialized equipment, but as I don't really consider this equipment mainstream for recreational diving, it's a mute point. An emergency O2 kit can deliver 100% oxygen to all divers who suffer a diving injury; including those diving air or nitrox. This unit (as I understand it) is primarily designed to deliver 32% O2 to Nitrox divers.
That right there outlines the entire problem with this discussion.

I seriously doubt most recreational divers are going to haul around a medical O2 kit. They might carry this and if they did, they could use any mix available in someone's scuba cylinder ranging from air to 100%. Technical divers may be more apt to carry medical O2, but they almost always have enriched deco gasses.

If you don't want to use it for mainstream recreational diving because you've got surface a support and a DM to haul around your O2 kit, then dont. However, just because that is your choice, it doesn't invalidate the usefulness of this for other groups or other people.

John, if this unit will suit your needs, great! All I'm saying is that most people don't use a CCR and therefore don't have 100% O2 available. This unit is was not primarily designed to provide 100% O2, nor is it intended to replace an O2 kit. To quote the manufacturer: "The pod acts as an effective back-up to the Emergency Oxygen Kit."

You don't have to use a CCR to have 100% available. I carried 100% long before I ever started diving with a CCR.. You're trying to make this about a small subset of divers and invalidating the larger group that can still benefit from it in many ways.

If you read the rest of that quote it says "- especially if it is already in use, becomes exhausted or is simply unavailable at the time of the emergency. In these situations, the pod could become the primary rescue aid."

Sure it has limits and drawbacks. Just like anything.

I think it's a great idea, but is has a limited application in most diving scenarios. That said, I think it will be a valuable addition to my dive kit.

If it's so limited in most diving scenarios and you can get medical oxygen kits so cheap, why not just buy a second one of those instead?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom