Thanks to Cave Adventurers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bubble-head

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
On our way back from Disney, I had an opportunity to visit Edd and crew at Cave Adventurers. Edd hooked me up with a great deal on a set of double LP 85's.

I've bought a fair amount of gear from Edd in the past. One reason I do so is that they seriously dive the gear they carry. We were talking about this and how the gear I've bought has held up so well. Edd's helped in the design of some products. He has a good sense of what works well or doesn't. When searching for a drysuit, I contacted him and he and his employees suggested the Pinnacle Black Ice and how well it worked for them. It's been a great drysuit. It was nice meeting Edd and his staff and I look forward to visiting again in the near future.

Patrick

glad to see you had a great experience. Edd has been my primary "local" dive shop since 2009 and couldn't be happier. Get treated like family when we are down there in person a few times a year but was many years before I actually met them all in person. Seems that you have two choices in good LDS shops these days and it's either you get the best pricing out there and have to deal with "eh" customer service, or you get great service but you have to pay for it.... These guys definitely try to hit both birds with a single stone, and certainly succeed!

It's strange for some to see so many recommendations for this shop because they are focused on sidemount cave diving, but even for the greenest OW diver there is never too crazy of a question, and there is no lack of knowledge whether it's in single tank backmount, or gear for deep technical caves, and deals to match the knowledge. While most of the stuff on the site is tailored to what Edd et al have narrowed down as the best gear for them, the dealer list is extensive and they can get just about anything you really need if you ask nicely. Just brace yourself for a half hour phone call when you come down, they're passionate about diving and will talk your ear off if you let them.

People regularly ask me who my LDS is, and Edd is by far the closest one I use at 7 hours drive, but there is a bloody good reason for it, and your experience above is a testament to why so many use him as their LDS

Reactions: FDR
They really are great folks. When we pulled in they were hopping with tank fills and folks signing in for their cave excursions but Edd, et al, still made time for conversation between helping others.

You hit the nail on the head about LDS and how they do a dang good job of both. It is ironic that a lot of our gear for VA/NC wreck diving has come from a cave speciality shop but we'll soon be continuing our transition into cave as well. So many of the skills are transferable and also caves don't have a lousy winter sea state.

I had just moved to Greenville, SC looking for a new dive shop when I started my cave training. The local shop was the "typical" shop. Grumpy, pushed overpriced gear with the huge markups, insisted on nothing but gimmicks. He told me sidemount divers deserved to die and soon would, and anybody diving a canister light deserved to die and soon would. Met Edd and guys, and they've been my local shop ever since. I can't recommend them enough for training, either.

One trip (a few months ago) I got extra stupid and forgot to pack my bin. You know, that thing with my lights, reels, computer, BC, regs, etc? Yup. It stayed in SC. Awesome. I had ordered a drysuit, and weirdly had my mask and fins. Between personal gear, loaner gear, and a generous buddy or two....I was able to dive anyway. I was diving mostly Edd's personal gear, and they bent over backwards to accomodate. I really can't say enough good things.

I've published my list before, here goes again for the shops that I think go above and beyond

Edd's, if you need sidemount stuff or anything he carries, it's fabulous
Dive Right in Scuba is the home of the drysuits, they've been very good to me and others over the years
Northeast Scuba Supply, John is fantastic, and the used gear and overstock selections are great.
Dan's Dive Shop for the Canadians. Haven't done anything with them directly, but have recommended people in the great white north to go through them and have heard nothing but good things.
Cave Country Dive Shop if you're down in Ginnie area regularly, good LDS to support

I always go to Edd first if he carries the brand I'm needing at the time, and he usually has it. I think drysuits and my DSS rig were the only things he hasn't been able to help me out on.... Only things you'd have to go elsewhere for are rebreathers, Cave Country Dive Shop can take care of most of them, and there are a few other speciality things that are MFG direct, Deep Sea Supply bpw's, and a few other specialty items.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom