That pesky Medical Statement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Except that apparently it is required by at least some instructors including The Chairman...
And if you read the first paragraph, at least the online PADI version, it clearly states...

"Your signature on this statement is required for you to participate in the scuba training program offered"
LOL. I did not realize Pete was an MD! What makes him think he can evaluate my medical status from that questionnaire? He is welcome to my signature at the bottom, and my info and my docotor's info and my doctor's signature on page 2, but he is not welcome to know my private medical info.

This is not a PADI issue. Dive shops are using the training medical questionaire as part of their release for ordinary everyday diving. No training is involved. Hence PADI is not involved.
It's PADI's form. Doesn't matter what it is being used for.

It's PADI's form. Doesn't matter what it is being used for.
it is not a PADI form. It is the set of questions from the standard RSTC medical form that have been transcribed onto the dive ops release form. The questions and answers are part of the dive ops release form. There is no page 2 for a medical signoff.

it is not a PADI form. It is the set of questions from the standard RSTC medical form that have been transcribed onto the dive ops release form. The questions and answers are part of the dive ops release form. There is no page 2 for a medical signoff.
I have not seen the dive op form to which you are referring. The RSTC (actually WRSTC) form is identical to the PADI form, and has a page 2. Perhaps the dive op you are referring to has been named earlier? It would be good to list the names of such operators so we can avoid them.

I have not seen the dive op form to which you are referring. The RSTC (actually WRSTC) form is identical to the PADI form, and has a page 2. Perhaps the dive op you are referring to has been named earlier? It would be good to list the names of such operators so we can avoid them.

The Chairman.

The form was posted upthread and there is indeed no page 2 if you answer no to every question. You can lose the form and bring the doctor's writ -- and good luck e.g. standing on the ladder with all your suitcases someplace far away and trying to persuade a liveaboard about to sail they don't need page 1 and/or they can call PADI -- but there's no page for "I swear I am healthy enough to dive".

The Chairman.

The form was posted upthread and there is indeed no page 2 if you answer no to every question. You can lose the form and bring the doctor's writ -- and good luck e.g. standing on the ladder with all your suitcases someplace far away and trying to persuade a liveaboard about to sail they don't need page 1 and/or they can call PADI -- but there's no page for "I swear I am healthy enough to dive".
You are saying the Chairman's training is the only activity that requires the YES/NO answers and not jsut a doctor's signature?

You are saying the Chairman's training is the only activity that requires the YES/NO answers and not jsut a doctor's signature?

I am saying he said his training requires the form.

I am also saying I don't see a way to state "I am healthy enough to dive" on that form other than answering all the questions.

I don't have a problem with requiring doctor's release. That's not the requirement here.

there's no page for "I swear I am healthy enough to dive".
Nor should there be. I want my doctor to say that; what do I know?

I appreciate the forms at most places I go that ask if I know of anything that might prevent me from diving; I get to say No.

Only once -- the Carpe Vita liveaboard in the Maldives -- was I given a medical form with the questions, with no advance warning after 13 months of planning and three days of traveling, and told fill it out or don't go on the trip. Right. They could have just said, "Lie and say No to everything, please."

Only once -- the Carpe Vita liveaboard in the Maldives -- was I given a medical form with the questions, with no advance warning after 13 months of planning and three days of traveling, and told fill it out or don't go on the trip. Right. They could have just said, "Lie and say No to everything, please."

And that is precisely the starting point of this thread: "don't lie on the medical questionnaire". Well duh.

Any Dive op that doesn't require all cards and medical forms BEFORE they collect payment is fun of crap. If they cared about not having people lie on forms, they would get that out of the way before accepting your deposit.

Back
Top Bottom