That pesky Medical Statement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christi

PADI MSDT/Former CZM Dive op owner
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I also want to add to my previous list of takeaways and general recommendations. I am not saying this has ANYTHING to do with the current incident (Feb 19 2017 Cozumel diving fatality), as I truly don't know if there were any pre-existing medical conditions. This is a general request.

Be completely honest on your diving application and release that you fill out with the dive shop. If you have any medical conditions they need to know about them. They cannot "save you from yourself' if you are not honest on your paperwork. It is a very selfish act not to disclose known medical conditions. When you do this you are subjecting fellow divers, the dive crew and anyone who is part of the rescue team to this trauma in the event that your medical issue results in a serious accident or worse, fatality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Be completely honest on your diving application and release that you fill out with the dive shop. If you have any medical conditions they need to know about them. They cannot "save you from yourself' if you are not honest on your paperwork. It is a very selfish act not to disclose known medical conditions. When you do this you are subjecting fellow divers, the dive crew and anyone who is part of the rescue team to this trauma in the event that your medical issue results in a serious accident or worse, fatality.

Question for ya....a diver checks off high blood pressure and or taking statins for cholesterol. What would be your position on either of these? I have neither fortunately, but I'll share a story with you about a dive buddy once I get your take on my question...

Question for ya....a diver checks off high blood pressure and or taking statins for cholesterol. What would be your position on either of these? I have neither fortunately, but I'll share a story with you about a dive buddy once I get your take on my question...

I take meds for mild high blood pressure. I check that box and tell them that the meds have it under control and my doc says I am good to dive. They have never questioned after that.

I take meds for mild high blood pressure. I check that box and tell them that the meds have it under control and my doc says I am good to dive. They have never questioned after that.

I suspect it is just a matter of time before you will be turned away unless you have a current, acceptable, official letter from your doctor attesting to your fitness to dive.

In my experience, it is generally not the diagnosed and fixed medical problems that suddenly incapacitate and kill people, it is the undiagnosed medical issues that catch us by surprise. As an example, a good friend of mine, in apparent great shape, had a heart attack at age 23 while flying an Air Force fighter on a high speed, low level flight profile. We never knew if the heart attack killed him or hitting the ground did. That incident certainly gave me a different perspective on the fragility of life, and what we really know about our own, our family's, and our friends actual health issues.

you tell them...'my docs says....'? Very reassuring. :cheers:

How cute. You took advantage of an opportunity for a cheap jab.
Inasmuch as you're not aware of his numbers, his meds, his doctor, or any other aspect of his health, it seems to me that your post was exceedingly inappropriate.

In my experience, it is generally not the diagnosed and fixed medical problems that suddenly incapacitate and kill people, it is the undiagnosed medical issues that catch us by surprise. As an example, a good friend of mine, in apparent great shape, had a heart attack at age 23 while flying an Air Force fighter on a high speed, low level flight profile. We never knew if the heart attack killed him or hitting the ground did. That incident certainly gave me a different perspective on the fragility of life, and what we really know about our own, our family's, and our friends actual health issues.

That's right. It's what we don't know that does us in, (especially while diving), or conversely, there is the occasional fool that ignores what should be obvious warning signs.

I suspect it is just a matter of time before you will be turned away unless you have a current, acceptable, official letter from your doctor attesting to your fitness to dive.

Be prepared to bring your doctor official letter to show it to Natalie Gibb at Under The Jungle, Xpu-Ha, Mexico, if you want to dive with her.

How cute. You took advantage of an opportunity for a cheap jab.
Inasmuch as you're not aware of his numbers, his meds, his doctor, or any other aspect of his health, it seems to me that your post was exceedingly inappropriate.

That's right. It's what we don't know that does us in, (especially while diving), or conversely, there is the occasional fool that ignores what should be obvious warning signs.

I guess I wasn't totally clear. The real point was a Dr's note would be far more credible than a verbal....'my dr. said so'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom