The airlines suck! New fees! Complain now!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JustinW:
With new weight restrictions I have resorted to other measures. Recently I was flying back from a hunt where we returned with (between 2 people) 200 pounds of venison. Small packages were packed in our checked luggage so that each piece came to 50 pounds. The rest went as carry-ons. Our carry-on pieces were probably around 80 pounds a piece. Just takes a bit of reshuffling to get by with the new rules. Its not that people are always moving somewhere, and indeed many people pack ridiculous stuff, but many times I am coming from somewhere where I have been hunting or fishing and I have meat with me. Especially on dive/fish trips where I have all of my dive gear plus fish.

I figure I carry-on about a hundred pounds, maybe more, with camera gear, computers, lighting equipment. But a word of caution, there are actually carry on weight restrictions and in Boston a few weeks ago, there was actually a baggage scale at the security check point. They were weighing bags that seemed likely to be overweight.

But I do agree with earlier statements about the airlines and profits. I know this will raise hackles, but I believe the airline industry as a whole has never been profitable. We are going to wind up with just a few carriers, and likely higher tickets in the near future.

Jeff

divetraveler:
Noticed in the business section of the paper last week all of the little things airlines were starting to do to get themselves out of the red . . .United has proposed to start charging $2 per checked bag while other airlines are going to start charging $1 for those dixie cups of soda and 1/2 ounce snack . . .there comes a point where these ideas come off as being just plain cheap and a pain in the behind.
If anything it shows just how little there is left to cut (in their minds).

MoonWrasse:
So does anyone have any bad scuba gear experiences with Northwest they'd care to share?
No, of all my myriad of bad experiences with Northwest, none have been scuba related. My guess is they are too busy screwing up the normal stuff, they'd have to work their way up to "bad scuba gear experience". :mad:

MoonWrasse:
So does anyone have any bad scuba gear experiences with Northwest they'd care to share?

I've been flying Northworst for years to dive and never had a "packed scuba gear" issue with them. But the times, they are a changing, so who knows. Just make sure you stay within the weight limits and as suggested, don't volunteer that you have scuba gear packed. I've never been asked what i had packed in checked luggage, but for sure don't volunteer the info if they don't ask.

Escalating prices, in whatever form they come, are bummer for all of us but have we had it too good for too long on air travel? For a couple hundred bucks we hop on a plane and someone expeditiously flys our hundreds of pounds of butt and luggage, thousands of miles via multiple connections, to places we want to go. It is a lot to take for granted for the price if you think about it.

No one likes the hassles that can go with air travel but its still a heck of a bargain for what you're getting IMO. And if you don't like it, you can try finding another way to get to that island getaway eh? :wink:

I've been flying Northworst for years to dive and never had a "packed scuba gear" issue with them. But the times, they are a changing, so who knows. Just make sure you stay within the weight limits and as suggested, don't volunteer that you have scuba gear packed. I've never been asked what i had packed in checked luggage, but for sure don't volunteer the info if they don't ask.
Be sure you are well insured against loss and damages. The airline will not be responsibile under their current rules. :11:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom