The all-inclusive tipping note -- Boats, DMs & Instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

newmark

Reaction score
My son and I, both new divers, are about to go on a dive vacation- 6 two tank dives in the Turks. The info with our vouchers mentioned not to forget to tip the divemaster, captain, etc. How much is appropiate? At the end of each trip, or end of stay? Appreciate any advice.

Hi Newmark...it is common practice to tip the boat crew (divemaster(s) & captain). If you are diving with the same operation for the whole week, and with the same crew every day, then one tip at the end of the week is appropriate. But, if you're with a different crew each day, then you may want to tip daily. The amount, of course, is very subjective. For myself, I think I usually do a miniumum of $5 per dive day (2 dives, very basic service), but normally more like $10 a day, assuming the service was good.
Again, very subjective...I'm sure others will add their thoughts as well.

MrMoray's is correct. For basic service I've always given about $5 (US) and then as the service improves, so does the tip.

Now you might ask what's basic, and what's more. I think that's where the discussion may begin.

For me very basic is when the crew gets me on board, gets me to the site, gives me a site briefing, allows me to dive, gets me back on board and back to shore. They're doing their job, but without to much else.

My tiping schedule is based on the level of service but is generally 15% of the charter price. I have been known to give more for some crews that go above and beyond the call of duty. One that comes to mind instantly is the crew of the Horizon based out of San Diego. They regulary do Channel Island trips. On such a trip where I was spearfishing, they were nice enough to fillet, cook and help distribute (for free) my catch to the other divers during a surface interval. Now that's what I call excellent service.

Hi newmark,

As others have said, tipping is a personal matter. Below is an item I wrote that may give you a general orientation to the issue. It's un-edited version of a piece which appeared in the "Ask RSD" column of the October 1999 of "Rodale's Scuba Diving" magazine:

"How much, when and whom do I tip on a day dive boat?

As with tipping in other situations, dive boat gratuities are a personal matter, although local customs should be respected. For example, tipping is not yet customary in Australia, New Zealand, Japan and other countries.

In many locations, including the US, Mexico and greater Caribbean, however, it does seem generally agreed that tipping for good service on a dive boat is appropriate. Keep in mind that some crews derive much, and occasionally nearly all, of their income from gratuities, regardless of whose “fault” this is. Repeat customers of a dive op can well vouch for the value of recognition of crew effort.

For those interested in tipping, guidelines for day dive boats include: (1) Gratuities are just that, something given voluntarily and beyond obligation for a service rendered. They are not mandatory; (2) An appropriate amount is somewhere between 10-15 percent of the cost of the diving expenses, not including gear rental, park or chamber fees, and other incidentals. This amount should be adjusted so as to fit the level of service, with a range of 0 to 15 percent being acceptable, although some generous divers do leave more; (3) In most situations, you need tip only one crew member, often the DM who primarily attended you. The tip will be shared among the crew according to their internal agreements. If a particular crew member rendered a special service which was above and beyond the call of duty, e.g., brought a piece of his personal gear from home for your use, cleaned up after you following an episode of sea sickness, etc., then an individual gratuity could be justified; and (4) If your crew changes every day, tips will probably be most fairly shared if given daily. If your crew is stable and you desire to consider tips at the end of the trip, let the DM know. Of course, human nature being what it is, the immediate rewards of a tip at the end of each diving day may result in the best service.

Finally, if in doubt about tipping, ask around. Local divers can tell you about their customs, and the consensus of your fellow divers will give you a good idea of what is appropriate."

Stay on good terms with the boat crew.

DocVikingo

As far as diving in Australia is concerned.
Do not tip ! :nono: The reason we do not tip anyone in this country is because they are paid better and do not rely on tips to make a living. If you are ever in Oz and someone asks for a tip, tell them to.......well.......use your imagination :egrin:

The only place in Australia that I have ever been asked for a tip was in the Planet Hollywood restaraunt and I refused completely, not just because we dont tip, but because the food was bad, the service was worse and the prices were ridiculous :livid:

On the other hand, if I received service that I thought was beyond the call of duty, I would maybe buy them a slab :)

Same in the UK.

If the service was good they get a beer with us!
Certainly, due to minimum wage laws they actually get paid reasonably (UK min wage translates to 6.5 - 7 $/hr), and generally, they get paid quite a bit above the minimum wage.

Jon T

All the above advice is sound.

The key thing to remember is that tipping is for service. It's not mandatory and no one should feel in the slightest way pressured to tip.

Me personally, I don't "expect" tips so at the end of the day if we receive them, not only am I pleasntly surprised but it makes me feel that I have done my job well and given back a small measure of the enjoyment that I get out of doing the job that I do in the country that I am lucky enough to live in.

Raffles

Here in So Cal when you go out on a charter dive boat you can expect to pay anywhere from around $55 up to about $100 for a 1 day charter. For a 2 day they run around $250 if I'm not mistaken. The cost of these charters can be "all inclusive" or pay what you consume/use. Which, by the way, I am not complaining about the cost. We have some excellent charters here that take us to outstanding sites.

My question though is this. When we are returning to port, the DM or Captain will announce that the tip jar is out and they would appreciate the divers showing their appreciation for the service they got from the crew. Now the tip and the amount of the tip is optional (and I always will leave one) but the way they make the announcement makes one feel sort of low life if they don't donate (at least that is my impression).

When I went to Maui and did my boat dives they did not mention anything about tips. I casually mentioned to one of the crew who I became close friends with (he was from So Cal and we traded "sea stories") he was taken back and somewhat upset. He told me that "you are not in SoCal", we don't ask for that. Now, I realize I paid a little more there than I do here but not that much more.

What have you experienced diving in other parts of the world? Is the protocol similar to here or more towards Hawaii?

I would assume livaboards expect tips as well, but I am more interested in the 1 day charters.

SoCal,
I can't ever remember a crew announcing the tip jar is out, even in out of country locations. Here in Florida the competition is so strong that most captains and crew go above and beyond what you might expect from them and don't have to announce it's "time to tip" It should be a matter of honor with them, provide friendly and courteous service to each customer, and the customer will be happy to tip at the end of the day. I'm curious as to what other members have to say on this. :tree:Bob.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom