The Amadillo Hole

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Timeliner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Wow... I haven't posted at Solo in awhile ( shame on me)

I went up to a place I've been before lots of times. I wanted to do a little different take on a thing we call The Armadillo Hole up at Lake Broken Bow, OK.
It's a drop to the old river channel just off the North side of the small Island on the end of Eagle Point at Stevens Gap Area. ( if your interested )

There is a old ravine that feels like going into a Armadillo Hole as you go down .
Trees... roots... rocks.. Tuck your legs up behind you and angle in like you are a space shuttle and slide on down down down. :D
The old river channel is at about 170 feet right now. I'm not going there alone but almost.

First there is a 200 yard surface swim out to the island. Then you head down.
Usually we quit dropping down the ledge once we reach a big tree at 100 feet.....

It does keep going down into the dark farther but we never actually knew just how far that was before it flattened out. Having now found out where it flattens out I'll just say that it goes down far enough to 131 feet . a gradual descent along a mud bottom would get you to the river channel in 250 yard but not today.

At 125 feet I had this strange feeling and buzz in my right ear.... A bit of pain, and then ... it was as if my ear just slowly imploded. OUCH !!! :shakehead:
About that time I started to feel Narced and ready to vomit all at once.
Not good ....... I settled out and then turned around and started to head back up slow to around 90 feet. I held on to a tree branch at a rock over hang ... turned off my dive light and just chilled for a couple of minutes. Chilling wasn't too hard the water was 48 degrees :rofl3:
The pain went away and I felt pretty good again. I stayed around 90 feet and found some nice overhangs and trees on the way back up to explore.
The vis. there is not as great as usual due to all the rain lately I guess. The trees just jump up out of nowhere and grab you. I found a bit more fishing line this time around ( or maybe it found me ) Usually the line stands out more. Maybe the lower vis. was just hiding it well. It's pretty comfortable above 30 feet. The fish and the big clams are very active now too.
The weather was great and the dive was exciting to say the least.
I also had the entire peninsula to myself which was kinda cool.

A Solo Divers Delight :D

My ear freaked bad on me on the way home and man did it hurt!!! after 3 days it's is just starting to come back to feeling sort of normal. I figure it'll be good to go in a week maybe two .

What a dive though !!!!

This coming weekend is Memorial Day so those solitary days on the surface are over.
But .... There is never anybody but the Sirens down at the Armadillo Hole
__

There is never anybody but the Sirens down at the Armadillo Hole
__

Looking forward to visiting with the sirens this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom